No, you were not the only one who noticed.Am I the only one who noticed that this guy did have his lucky charm with him when he was in a near-fatal accident!
If it didn't help him then, I doubt it's going to help him now.
Am I the only one who noticed that this guy did have his lucky charm with him when he was in a near-fatal accident!
If it didn't help him then, I doubt it's going to help him now.
Am I the only one who noticed that this guy did have his lucky charm with him when he was in a near-fatal accident!
If it didn't help him then, I doubt it's going to help him now.
While I'm sorry for beating a dead horse, I have a question.
Which phrases are more likely correlated:
Compassion stacks the deck, or good luck charms stack the deck?
I get it that one can rationalize how compassion would stack the deck. That's not the question. The question is if you heard someone refer to stacking the deck, would compassion or a good luck charm be the thing you would think of first?
As already stated, you weren't the only one. But people have irrational beliefs. The patients mental state could be aided by the presence of his lucky charm, that can have an effect on his physical well being. The lucky charm itself will not change affect his "luck". There are benefits from the placebo effect, which is the most you can hope for from a lucky charm.
ETA: The gesture by the nurse is equivalent to a nurse making sure that a cherished stuffed toy is in a child's bed when it is recovering. There is no healing power in the stuffed animal itself, but again it can help ease the child's mind.
I get it that one can rationalize how compassion would stack the deck. That's not the question. The question is if you heard someone refer to stacking the deck, would compassion or a good luck charm be the thing you would think of first?
While I'm sorry for beating a dead horse, I have a question.
Which phrases are more likely correlated:
Compassion stacks the deck, or good luck charms stack the deck?
I get it that one can rationalize how compassion would stack the deck. That's not the question. The question is if you heard someone refer to stacking the deck, would compassion or a good luck charm be the thing you would think of first?
yes. but they didn't use a child as the patient or a teddy bear, did they? They didn't actually say "compassion", right?
Where does the annoying habit come from to keep twisting and turning what somebody does to the point where whatever remains can be interpreted in a way that it at least almost sane?
http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/media/commercials/jnj_2005.htmlJohnson & Johnson's Campaign for Nursing Future
Touching the world
May 2006 -- Since last year, Johnson & Johnson has been running new 30-second U.S. television ads with the laudable goal of promoting nursing careers. These sentimental ads are part of the company's massive "Campaign for Nursing's Future" begun several years ago.
(...)
Of course "caring" is an important part of nursing. But everyone knows that, and we believe that only greater understanding that nurses actually save lives and improve patient outcomes will attract the resources nursing needs in the long term.
(...)
Of course, J&J has done more than distribute questionable recruitment materials. To its credit, the company has provided resources for nursing scholarships and fellowships, as well as an extensive, high production value web site (which the Center helped create) full of information about nursing careers. The main page of that site says:
The job outlook is tough these days, but one job is in high demand--nursing. Did you know that well paying jobs for Registered Nurses are available in almost every city in America? But it's not just the job market that makes nursing a good career choice. As a nurse, you have the opportunity to save and improve lives, to teach people how to achieve better health, to advocate for patients to make sure they have the best health care, every day. Learn more about a career in nursing.
Maybe it's because we wrote the italicized sentence for J&J, but we think this description of the actual work of nursing is very good, and we commend J&J for putting it front and center on their site. If only their TV ads reflected that focus on life-saving and advocacy!
(...)
We applaud J&J for continuing to put significant resources into addressing the nursing crisis. We hope the company will show an equal commitment to ensuring that the messages it sends in its public communications actually advance that worthy goal.
Response from Johnson & Johnson
The Johnson & Johnson Campaign for Nursing's Future
(...)
The Center for Nursing Advocacy replies
(...)
It comes from the same place that twisting and turning what someones does or says to the point that it becomes a perceived insult.yes. but they didn't use a child as the patient or a teddy bear, did they? They didn't actually say "compassion", right?
Where does the annoying habit come from to keep twisting and turning what somebody does to the point where whatever remains can be interpreted in a way that it at least almost sane?
A stuffed animal would have sent an acceptable message, no doubt it was about compassion and not about superstition.As already stated, you weren't the only one. But people have irrational beliefs. The patients mental state could be aided by the presence of his lucky charm, that can have an effect on his physical well being. The lucky charm itself will not change affect his "luck". There are benefits from the placebo effect, which is the most you can hope for from a lucky charm.
ETA: The gesture by the nurse is equivalent to a nurse making sure that a cherished stuffed toy is in a child's bed when it is recovering. There is no healing power in the stuffed animal itself, but again it can help ease the child's mind.
I work with both kinds of nurses currently. It's especially apparent when it comes to flu vaccine. The nurses who refuse the vacine generally don't get the concept of science based medicine. Those that get the vaccination at least recognize the evidence regarding the vaccine.... Up until I started reading the responses in this thread I would have put nurses in the "rational science-based mindset" category. That pretty much describes the nurses I've dealt with. But, apparently my experience is not typical.
A stuffed animal would have sent an acceptable message, no doubt it was about compassion and not about superstition.
I didn't say they were promoting superstition. I said they were implying nurses accepted the value of good luck charms. Actually, they imply "being human" means one accepts the value of good luck charms.To be honest, neither.
Let me rephrase your question:
Which aspect of nursing do you believe J&J, a supplier of science-based medical supplies, considers valuable enough to fund a national advertising campaign: Compassion or good luck charms?
Since it is so easily misinterpreted the ad was arguably a poor choice, but to think they are actively promoting good luck charms is quite a stretch.
Quit what? Do you suggest I should fake my opinion to conform to the group, or just pretend I don't have one?Seriously Ginger quit while you are behind
The Nurse Advocacy complains along a similar line:It appears this issue has a longer history:
http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/media/commercials/jnj_2005.html
http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/media/commercials/jnj_2005_response.html
Definitely something that has been an issue with me since I became aware of the problem in the early 80s. Thanks for the links.We praised the "Nurse Scientists" video and the J&J web site. But we explained why the most powerful elements of the image campaign--the TV commercials--rely heavily on the same kind of emotional, maternal and "angel" imagery that has long been a factor in nursing not getting the resources and real respect it needs.
We agree that nurses must be caring and compassionate. It's also no surprise that most people like being portrayed as noble, nor that career seekers in a tight job market will respond to big-budget ads promoting a profession that offers many relatively well-paying jobs. But that does not mean that it is in nurses' best interest to be seen primarily as kind hand-holders. We believe that only aggressive efforts to tell the public what it does not know about nursing--that nurses save lives and improve patient outcomes--are likely to attract the resources the profession needs to recruit, educate and retain the best candidates over the long term, and to avert the global nursing crisis.
I think you need to turn down the gain on your woo detector.I didn't say they were promoting superstition. I said they were implying nurses accepted the value of good luck charms.
...snip...