GreyArea
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Aug 31, 2009
- Messages
- 1,004
Something I have not seen mentioned - how much warning in Japan did they have. That will affect the toll from the waves greatly
MG1962, you can see this for yourself on a YouTube channel I found.Almost the very moment I felt the earthquake I heard the bleep of the meterological warning on the TV. Within a couple of minutes the TV was broadcasting a tsunami warning. So, it seemed to be very quick. Even as the earthquake was rumbling the tsunami warnings were flashing up.
SOLiVE24 appears to be some kind of Japanese weather channel, which is being put online in hour-long chunks. Here is a link to the video just before the alarms go off in the meteorological office.
Twenty seconds later, they have a computer graphic showing the location of the epicenter and (I assume, since I don't know Japanese) a widening circle as the quake propagates. (I am simply gobsmacked that it is possible to pinpoint this and report it so quickly!)
A new graphic appears at 55:18 in the video (two minutes after the alarms went off) with what I think are magnitude measurements for affected prefectures. (Is this interpretation correct, anyone?)
Three-and-a-half minutes after the first alarms are heard, the first tsunami graphic appears. It's in the corner of the screen at first, then they make it full-screen. I think this is a tsunami warning because of the the flashing colors along the coastline, and I think I make out the kanji for "tsunami" (津波) on the screen. And I think the announcer says "tsunami" and 57:11.
So, less than four minutes after the first earthquake alert, they seem to be broadcasting a tsunami alert. And the man keeps announcing!
Even though I don't understand what the man is saying, I understand the emotion in his voice. It's kind of a harrowing video.