• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 8.8 quake in Sendai, Japan

I wonder if the thing to do if you're on an island in the Pacific is to get in a boat and get as far offshore as possible? I seem to recall that boats at sea rode the 2004 tsunami quite effectively.
Yup, the safest place to be when a Tsunami is coming is out at sea. As long as you're beyond where the wave will break, you won't notice it at all.

And on Pacific islands, especially the volcanic ones, you wouldn't have to get that far out. With hours of warning you could easily make it to safety even if you're on an atoll only a few feet above sea level.
 
Last edited:
Gumboot, The Fire;- I have not heard that report on BBC. It may explain the Prime Minister's specific statement that there had been no radiation leaks. It seemed an unusual (though pertinent) topic for him to raise.
 
The nuclear story seems to have no foundation.
although the power stations themselves have very strong ones!

From BBC news live stream: "1034: The UN nuclear watchdog, the IAEA, says four nuclear power plants closest to the earthquake's epicentre have been shut down safely."
 
although the power stations themselves have very strong ones!

From BBC news live stream: "1034: The UN nuclear watchdog, the IAEA, says four nuclear power plants closest to the earthquake's epicentre have been shut down safely."

Well, according to wiki, there are a total of 55 operative nuclear powerplants in Japan. Granted most of them probably wont be affected.
Theres a map of them here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_Japan

Am I reading it right? They have a positive shut down on 4 out of 5 threatned NPP's?
 
Last edited:
I'm back at my office now. I went down to the station but no luck.
Most of my coworkers are still here, and they have food.
The power's on and we can stay as long as we need to.
There's no way I'm getting home tonight so this is the best option.
 
I'm back at my office now. I went down to the station but no luck.
Most of my coworkers are still here, and they have food.
The power's on and we can stay as long as we need to.
There's no way I'm getting home tonight so this is the best option.

well done. Probably the best bet.
 
Puppy cow, if your still reading this: The JP PM is advising people who are relying on trains to shelter in place (spend the night where you are) until further notice. Obviously if you feel unsafe there then find somewhere else but trying to travel longer distances isn't advised right now. Sleep at work or whatever for tonight. Good luck.
 
I'm back at my office now. I went down to the station but no luck.
Most of my coworkers are still here, and they have food.
The power's on and we can stay as long as we need to.
There's no way I'm getting home tonight so this is the best option.

Take care Puppycow, and be safe! Both you and your coworkers.
 
Puppy cow, if your still reading this: The JP PM is advising people who are relying on trains to shelter in place (spend the night where you are) until further notice. Obviously if you feel unsafe there then find somewhere else but trying to travel longer distances isn't advised right now. Sleep at work or whatever for tonight. Good luck.

Thanks. That's what I'm going to do. No more trains today.

I think this building is safe. It's pretty new. There's a park nearby but it's cold outside.
 
I'm back at my office now. I went down to the station but no luck.
Most of my coworkers are still here, and they have food.
The power's on and we can stay as long as we need to.
There's no way I'm getting home tonight so this is the best option.

Sounds like you've got what you need there. Stay put and stay safe.
 
Yup, the safest place to be when a Tsunami is coming is out at sea. As long as you're beyond where the wave will break, you won't notice it at all.


I remember seeing footage from 2004 of a horrendous wave smashing all before it as it came ashore at a beach resort. Commentators pointed to a smallish cabin cruiser that could be seen in the bay in the background to the shot. It didn't even take much of a tossing as the wave passed under it, even though it was quite close to shore. As the wave was smashing buildings and killing people, it could still be seen safely afloat.

Rolfe.
 
oh ******

Hot off the press on the BBC

They have declared a nuclear emergency on one of their nuclear power plants. They've lost all cooling on a reactor and are trying to scrounge power from anywhere to get some coolant pumped. The plant's emergency generator failed to start.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
500km/h will be the open water speed (that's actually pretty slow for a Tsunami). As the wave reaches shallow water it slows dramatically to more like 30-80km/h (still plenty fast to do serious damage and impossible to outrun).
And the front of the wave slowing down is of course what makes it higher as the back of it catches up with the front.

If it was just water however, although still pretty dangerous it would be a lot safer than what is the actual case. That the wave collects debris, it's mostly the debris being pushed along that causes the most damage and makes the water much more dangerous.

On a more positive note, The BBC News channel is reporting that Taiwan were expecting their Tsunami about an hour ago and they are reporting no strange waves or activity out to sea.
 
oh ******

Hot off the press on the BBC

They have declared a nuclear emergency on one of their nuclear power plants. They've lost all cooling on a reactor and are trying to scrounge power from anywhere to get some coolant pumped. The plant's emergency generator failed to start.

Which NPP?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And on Pacific islands, especially the volcanic ones, you wouldn't have to get that far out. With hours of warning you could easily make it to safety even if you're on an atoll only a few feet above sea level.

Just heard a guy from some Tsunami center note that atolls, because of the steep incline of their underwater sections don't get the "bulldozing" effect that continental areas do. The wave moves to fast to get a big, punishing rise.
 
oh ******

Hot off the press on the BBC

They have declared a nuclear emergency on one of their nuclear power plants. They've lost all cooling on a reactor and are trying to scrounge power from anywhere to get some coolant pumped. The plant's emergency generator failed to start.

This is very different from earlier reports. Puppycow- are you getting info on this?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom