The_Fire
Unimpressed Female
christ. One of the nuclear reactors have caught fire.....
Thanks.
Pretty soon I'm going to have to decide whether to start walking home or wait for the trains, but the aftershocks are continuing so I think the trains might not be running for the rest of the day. They tend to play it safe with them.
Does the wave amplitude get bigger the further from its point of origin (as one would expect), making the wave higher, or are there other factors that affect the height of the tsunami wave as it travels?
This is just awful.![]()
Ok, that's better news, and the predicted height at Taiwan is much less than in Japan. So fingers crossed.IDepends one how much further you're referring. Obviously when you get a significant distance away friction will dissipate the strength and with it the amplitude. I heard a caller on the radio last hour say in Portland the local station was predicting a 1-5 ft. wave as opposed to the strong offshort currents (I figure they were talking about riptides) expected earlier.
christ. One of the nuclear reactors have caught fire.....
Does the wave amplitude get bigger the further from its point of origin (as one would expect), making the wave higher, or are there other factors that affect the height of the tsunami wave as it travels?
Ok, that's better news, and the predicted height at Taiwan is much less than in Japan. So fingers crossed.
Japanese PM says there's no radiation leak. Proof if one needed that the Japanese build their nuclear power stations well, to withstand earthquakes.christ. One of the nuclear reactors have caught fire.....
Taiwan: Estimated height of wave: 0,5 - 2 meters (is this correct?!) at a speed of 500 km/h
Japanese PM says there's no radiation leak. Proof if one needed that the Japanese build their nuclear power stations well, to withstand earthquakes.
This looks horrendous. Got quite a few friends in Japan and neighbouring countries. Hope they are all safe and sound.
This sounds horribly ominous: The Red Cross warns that the tsunami wave caused by the quake is currently higher than some Pacific islands and "could go right over them".
I haven't seen anything confirming a fire at any of the nuclear power stations, although there is a large fire at an oil refinery.PHew. I hear "Fire" and "nuclear reactor" in the same sentence and I flashback to Chernobyl. This is good to hear.
I haven't seen anything confirming a fire at any of the nuclear power stations, although there is a large fire at an oil refinery.
I wonder if the thing to do if you're on an island in the Pacific is to get in a boat and get as far offshore as possible? I seem to recall that boats at sea rode the 2004 tsunami quite effectively.
Rolfe.
I wonder if the thing to do if you're on an island in the Pacific is to get in a boat and get as far offshore as possible? I seem to recall that boats at sea rode the 2004 tsunami quite effectively.
Rolfe.
The nuclear story seems to have no foundation.
TOKYO -- A utility company in northeastern Japan has reported a fire in a turbine building of a nuclear power plant after an earthquake shook the region.
Tohoku Electric Power Co. says smoke was observed coming out of the building, which is separate from the plant's reactor, and the cause is under investigation. The plant is in Miyagi prefecture.
Washington Post