The Mutha
thoroughly confused, but valiantly trying...
You are one classy chassis. Nominated.
That means a lot to me! Thanks, babycakes.
Last edited:
You are one classy chassis. Nominated.
Huckabee said some ill considered things. That doesn't make him evil; it makes him wrong. He's trying to deny he did anything wrong. That doesn't make him evil; it makes him dishonest. The same thing can be said about a number of people on both sides of the aisle, and it can be said about the vast majority of people. On many other points, he might be a fine man, and that can be said about most of the people I know. In all honesty, most folks want to do what's right.

To the Right, unmarried = single.
Some unmarried pregnant women who should be left out of the political debate:
- Natalie Portman
- Bristol Palin (a teenager at the time)
Then Bristol should stop taking money and being the poster mom for all kinds of political organizations.
True. For that matter, so should Megan McCain, regardless of her state of maternity.
"Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and would not get healthcare."
I find this interesting... I'm a single mom (although I was still married when I had The Dolly) and I'm not poor, I'm about 15 hours short of a BS, I have a great job and although I did qualify for WIC and food stamps when I was newly divorced, I've never taken government assistance and we've had health care through my employers.
My ex-husband paid $350 a month (when he actually paid it between being unemployed or in jail) and that didn't go very far given that I put my kid through private school until high school. He's not paid one cent of her college fees and she's in her fourth year.
I'm damn proud of what I've accomplished and having some old man in Washington denigrate that is highly insulting to me.
I don't take issue with them being political, it is that Bristol uses her being a teen mom as part of her political position. She can't even come up with a coherent message, did the kid ruin her life or was it the best thing that ever happened to her? The latter does not seem to discourage teens who might want to get pregnant(like my girlfriends brother and his sons mother did). Sure the effect is likely complex and nuanced, but that would also require recognizing that maybe being a teen mom is sometimes not all that bad.
The message for teenagers shouldn't be that an unwanted pregnancy will ruin your life. But it can make your life a lot more difficult than what most young people would like.
Has she used being a teen mom for a political statement? I have seen a social statement but I don't know about political.
Saying be careful about getting pregnant when you are a teenager is not a political statement. I think for the most part both political parties would agree.
She uses it as the spokesmom of abstinence only education groups, and I classify that as political.
She uses it as the spokesmom of abstinence only education groups, and I classify that as political.
Yes, but does she classify it as political? If she really believes that abstinence only education is the most helpful and best thing, then it's a health and social issue.
That doesn't stop her from being wrong about pushing abstinence only, but it does take it outside of pure politics.
Yes, but does she classify it as political? If she really believes that abstinence only education is the most helpful and best thing, then it's a health and social issue.
That doesn't stop her from being wrong about pushing abstinence only, but it does take it outside of pure politics.
Then nothing is politics as long as there is an issue. You are making it so that the only politics is party politics, not disagreements on issues. I reject that definition of politics.
"Pure politics"? Politics is how we run our country, what we do with pooled resources, how we run our schools and hospitals. Advocating the allocation of funds away from comprehensive ed in favor of abstinence only is pure politcs.
Maybe you meant partisan? I'd agree with it not being purely that.

I realize this whole incident was foolish and stupid, but I really would rather not see it beaten to death. Nor do we need to demonize Huckabee.
No. It is the only thing I've yet mastered in life.