There are certain brains that are more resistant to explaining the world with supernatural elements.
That's your hypothesis, yes; I would argue the opposite. (eta: not really the opposite, but I would argue that it's culture and human progress that make the biggest difference)
That type of brain that includes more critical thinking skills, more skepticism, more contrarian attributes helps these individuals navigate in their environment better. For example, better education renders better quality choices.
Critical thinking and education don't go hand-in-hand, though. More of the world now is educated than ever before. There's no requirement for good critical thinking skills to graduate high school, and there are plenty of good critical thinkers/extremely smart people, who don't pursue academic studies.
No, my taller/shorter example leads to a mating advantage. This type of advantage might lead to a better quality of life, overall.
That's part of your hypothesis, then? Remember that culture plays a huge role in all this.
I suspect this is not true.
You don't think that anybody could become an atheist? Nobody is born a theist, those beliefs have to be learned.
Becoming an atheist doesn't mean giving up supernatural elements altogether. There are plenty of atheists who believe in ghosts, visiting aliens, or other spirits.
To override the brain's tendency to explain things that include supernatural elements is not an easy thing. I don't think it is just a mental process where someone goes through this mental boot camp and then changes his or her mind. I think there is much more involved. I think evolution has given most humans this trait of explaining phenomena with supernatural elements. (now, that will be my next thread)
I would say that the brain wants to explain things period. When the natural elements aren't understood, people will include the supernatural. That's not the case anymore. We know that demons don't cause epilepsy or cholera. We can predict the weather patterns without offering up sacrifices to the gods. Humans on the whole have natural explanations for all kinds of things, so anybody who wants an answer can find a real one, and nobody will be forced to make stuff up.
No, I didn't agree, I just conceded the point to move along the discussion. I do think it is much lower than 8%. The point is that, it is a small percentage of the population.
I think that's too low. Much of China is atheist (and please don't ignore Wolfman's input on this point, as he's lived in China for 15 years), and much of western Europe is becoming less theistic. A lot of people are still social theists, but don't actually believe in any sky daddies.
You have realize that anecdotal evidence wouldn't suffice.
It's not really anecdotal evidence to conclude that the people of British Columbia are generally of the same intelligence as the rest of North America. We're not some hub of intellectualism up here, just average people. Yet there's no one dominant religion, and 38% of the population doesn't practice
any religion. We still have plenty of people who practice Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Wiccan, and First Nations religions. (Note that Buddhists are counted as religious, and aren't part of the 38% non-religious.)
Everyone keeps isolating this as the only attribute. I think there a implications to this beliefs. The world must be viewed in a different way if there is no God or gods. For example, the same logic that leads to conclude there are no gods must play a role in other beliefs of the supernatural. Otherwise, there would be logical inconsistencies. I do believe that there can be many people who believe are atheists who are not and don't understand that they are being inconsistent or are really theists.
Those logical consistencies still exist. Plenty of atheists believe in other supernatural nonsense. Buddhists don't believe in any gods, but they believe in reincarnation. Many First Nations people believe in animal and tree spirits, but not in any gods.
This is what I mean, atheism has implications, like the conclusions you come to in your examples.
It's not just atheists who know about natural explanations for illnesses. Nearly every theist knows that if you get sick, you go to a doctor. They just pray on top of it. The atheists will thank the doctor, and the theist will thank their doctor and their god. But they both know that the disease was caused by a virus or cancer, or some malfunctioning organ.