rustypouch
Philosopher
- Joined
- Mar 1, 2003
- Messages
- 6,745
I am ot against personal freedom to do what you want to your own body. If I implied that it was unintentional and I don't recall doing so.
My main points are the baggage that comes with an addicts life that affects those around them. All the cals for service I have dealt with over the years have made me extremely intolerant to junkies and if there was a simple solution to the problem (there is not) I would be all for it.
The biggest argument I hear is that legalizing drugs would stop the drug war. Maybe but maybe not.
My main point I raised earlier and I will sound redundant is the ******** that surrounds a junkie's life. Cheap drugs or not good quality or not a meth addict or heroin addict or somebody using PCP is still going to hurt a family memeber, friend or innocent. (Not all addicts) There are too many complications just from drug use itself that cause problems for others. Fill your vains full of crap, I don't care, but I cannot abide having someone high on PCP having the right to go into the public while they are high on that crap. Ten years ago I was in a fight for my life with somebody high on PCP and if it wasn't for an innocent bystander I would not be here to debate and discuss this issue. Anyway I am babbling and it is late.
I may be repeating myself here.
But as you well know, the illegality of drugs does not stop those who want to get high. Some people will do whatever it takes to get high. Junkies will act up no matter what. By keeping drugs illegal, all it does is empower gangs by giving them an easy to make, very high profit product.
Remove the illegality, and the profit motive for gangs will no longer exist. Without the high profit, there is no reason for them to be in the business. There may still be a problem with individuals, but a lot of the gang violence will decrease.
This might be oversimplifying, but it has worked in other countries.