• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

YOUR solution to the Mexico Crisis

Re: legalizing all drugs..

Would you really want heroin and crack in your backyard? Have you seen what meth does to a normal healthy person?

Weed is harmless. Alcohol is a big problem as well as tobacco but neither come close to the absolute horror of meth, heroin or crack and I'm saying this from painful experiences with some friends of mine who unfortunately went down that path.

Not all drugs are the same.

Yes, I have, first hand, seen what coke and meth and heroin does to a person. It can be bad.

And as a result of that intimate contact I can tell you categorically that there is no danger of legal drugs that is worse than the dangers of the same drugs being illegal.
 

You win a Free internet sgtbaker.

freeinternet.jpg
 
Also I do not think legalizing it would necessarily solve all of the issues we have right now. There is too much money to be made and if certain dealers were allowed to legally sell and others were ignored, I think a sort of black market would still exist and the prices would be set at a rate to undercut the legitimate business.
Yeah, because all those black-market tobacco dealers are ruining this country. It was certainly too bad when they drove R.J. Reynolds to bankrupcy.
 
Establish laws requiring purity; What is on the label MUST be what is inside.
We have laws like that regarding food. They don't alwyas work. What then?

The countercultural cache will go away. There would be no street dealers introducing people to the drugs. The people you buy them from would not be armed thugs. The stores that sell them would check IDs.

Without the hard drugs, they would be down to weapons and underage sex slaves, and those are just not enough to sustain the empires they have built.
Wow, Sylvia's got nothing on you for making predictions. How do you know what "will" or "would" happen?
 
My idea: Give the Mexican states the option of joining the United States. As our part of the bargain, we massively develop the area. Infrastructure, health, education, police forces, military forces. We get the work done with local manpower as much as possible, paying wages we would on our side of the Rio. Drug cartels are immediately targeted and dealt with. Corruption for government officials should carry a minimum thirty year sentance (both sides of the Rio) with hard labor.

In ten years, the changes would be pretty drastic, I think.

Who's picking up the check?
 
Too many times I have arrested burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons, car thieves, armed robbers, etc. who were junkies trying to get money to buy more drugs.
So bust and deal with the burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons and car thieves as burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons, and car thieves for being burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons and car thieves instead of punishing every single drug user because they might someday burgle, theive, or rob. What's wrong with that?

Do you think it would fly if someone proposed that we locked up all the mortgage bankers because some of them have a propensity to commit fraud?

The quality and the price do not matter to me. An addict who has lost everything due to their addiction is till going to have the same problems whether the drug is legal or illegal.
Freedom includes the right to FUBAR your own life.
 
Fin McR: No specific drug was mentioned when it was suggested it be legalized. I was referring to hardcore drugs such as meth, heroin, crack cocaine, etc. To me MJ is more of a "don't blow smoke in my face type drug and make it obvious that you have it and I will not hassle you." Also I do not think legalizing it would necessarily solve all of the issues we have right now. There is too much money to be made and if certain dealers were allowed to legally sell and others were ignored, I think a sort of black market would still exist and the prices would be set at a rate to undercut the legitimate business. Competitors would not just give up a multi billion dollar trade without a fight or some other scheme.

dtugg: I was referring mostly to addicts than the obvious drug cartel situations. Addicts can be just as dangerous as a dealer with nothing to lose. Too many times I have arrested burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons, car thieves, armed robbers, etc. who were junkies trying to get money to buy more drugs. The quality and the price do not matter to me. An addict who has lost everything due to their addiction is till going to have the same problems whether the drug is legal or illegal. Drunks and addicts are similar, but I would much rather deal with a drunk than an addict.

Autumn1971: There is a 60 mile stretch of I-8 between Case Grande, AZ and Gila Bend, AZ with signs posted by the BLM stating that section of highway is extremely dangerous for travelers due to drug and human smuggling. It starts about 50 - 60 miles south of metro Phoenix. The area is so bad local and state law enforcement will not leave that section of highway to go into the desert for any reason what so ever. It is about 100 miles north of the Mexican/AZ border. LOOK IT UP.

rustypouch: I understand crime went down in Europe, but Europeams are a different culture than Americans. If drugs are legal there will still be addicts who need their fix and need money to get their fix and how are they going to get it? The same way they do now. Also there are many other factors not taken into consideration. Would legalizing these drugs reduce the amount of domestic disputes as a result of a drug addict I respond too go down? Would it keep Jack who loves his meth from hallucinating after being up for three days straight because he went to a clinic and got his fix? And, while he is at home tweeking and he hears people in his attic what is his family supposed to do? And what are the police supposed to do after we have been out to his house five or six times in two days, because he thinks he hears people in his attict that don't exist? He has not committed any crimes by calling 911 because he is hallucinating, but he is now become a threat because he is angry and upset at the police because we have not arrested the people in his attic. Finally Jack loses it, grabs a shot gun and starts shooting through his ceiling. His terrified family runs over to the neighbor's house and calls 911. The next thing you know we have a barricaded drug addict. So what difference does it make whether it was legal or illegal? Quality does not play a factor either. Dangerous drugs are dangerous for a reason. That is just one real life example. The drug war is just the tip of the iceberg. Rarely deos anyone think of this type of scenario when talking about drugs.

So you don't like freedom. I get it.
 
dtugg: I was referring mostly to addicts than the obvious drug cartel situations. Addicts can be just as dangerous as a dealer with nothing to lose. Too many times I have arrested burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons, car thieves, armed robbers, etc. who were junkies trying to get money to buy more drugs.

I am sure you have. And the reason these people commit crimes in order to get their fix is because the drugs are sold at an extremely high markup due to the black market.

The quality and the price do not matter to me. An addict who has lost everything due to their addiction is till going to have the same problems whether the drug is legal or illegal. Drunks and addicts are similar, but I would much rather deal with a drunk than an addict.

If you actually think that an addict who has to commit crimes to get money for their habit will have the same problems as one who can get the drugs for dirt cheap, you are an idiot and should surrender your badge.
 
Nice ad hominem dtugg!! First of all you don't know if the drugs would be dirt cheap you are assuming, but you do not know for sure. Second most junkies can barely hold down a job; in fact they can barely hold ther lives together they and resort to committing criminal acts to support their habit. If drugs suddenly became dirt cheap then all that would mean is the junkie could buy more drugs than before and they would still be pissing their lives and money away trying to support their habit. What makes you think cheap drugs would change anything?
 
rusty pouch: I don't like freedom? Interesting comment, but you will have to forgive me I don't quite understand what you mean. After all I am just a dumbstreet cop and really do not know much of anything.
 
We have laws like that regarding food. They don't alwyas work. What then?

Didn't always work for Children's Tylenol, either. We haven't banned it.

Wow, Sylvia's got nothing on you for making predictions. How do you know what "will" or "would" happen?

Consumption of hard liquor went up after prohibition, and beer and wine consumption went down. This effect reversed after prohibition ended. So I think I have some good precedents for making some predictions. Understanding human beings helps too.
 
Last edited:
So bust and deal with the burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons and car thieves as burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons, and car thieves for being burglars, thieves, armed robbers, dangerous felons and car thieves instead of punishing every single drug user because they might someday burgle, theive, or rob. What's wrong with that?

Do you think it would fly if someone proposed that we locked up all the mortgage bankers because some of them have a propensity to commit fraud?


Freedom includes the right to FUBAR your own life.

Ummm......The police do bust all the afore menioned types of criminals I was not suggesting that junkies be locked up becasue they "may" commit crimes, I was pointing out that many times in my career I have arrested burglars, thieves, etc who happen to be junkies. I am well aware we are not living in a Minority Report type society. What the hell! I have no idea where you even gotthe idea that junkies shoud be arrested based on their lifestyle and all the other horsecrap you mentioned.
 
Nice ad hominem dtugg!! First of all you don't know if the drugs would be dirt cheap you are assuming, but you do not know for sure. Second most junkies can barely hold down a job; in fact they can barely hold ther lives together they and resort to committing criminal acts to support their habit. If drugs suddenly became dirt cheap then all that would mean is the junkie could buy more drugs than before and they would still be pissing their lives and money away trying to support their habit. What makes you think cheap drugs would change anything?

1) You apparently don't know what an ad hominem is.
2) I do know they would be dirt cheap. It is a simple matter of economics. They are extremely cheap to make and market forces would drive the prices down.
3) Are you honestly so dumb to think that if junkies could buy a gram of heroin for $5 that this would not have an effect on crimes committed by junkies to get money for their fixes?
 
...
Wow, Sylvia's got nothing on you for making predictions. How do you know what "will" or "would" happen?

And lets look at the specifics;

0. End of countercultural cache. This is just psychology - forbidden fruit is always sweetest.
1. No street vendors. Have you seen a street vendor of liquor lately?
2. No armed thugs. Is the guy in the liquor store down the street from you an armed thug? I grew up in my family's business, a tavern with a package goods license. I don't think we were armed thugs.
3. IDs will be checked. I know its not universal, because nothing is, but I can assure you that if a young person walks into almost any liquor store in Illinois they will be carded before they can buy liquor. Where this does not happen, we have regular sting operations to catch it, and real consequences for offenders.
4. Weapons and underage girls not enough to sustain drug cartels; I don't know how large you think the market for teenage mexican sex slaves is, or the market for prohibited military weapons, but I assure you that its only a tiny fraction of the size of the drug trade.
 
...1). Send an expeditionary force to assist the Mexican government in taking out the Cartels in the Border Regions. This Expeditionary force should be able to crush any Cartel forces that will be mustered due to lessons learned from Iraq and Afghanistan.
And where government corruption is part of the problem, then what?

2) Deploy B-2 Spirits or B-1 lancers to strike Drug lords that are entrenched. If the DLs are out in Sea, then Navy SEALS will pay them a "visit" ;)
Who/where on Earth are you going to bomb/shoot? Where do you think these guys are entrenched? Is some cave in the hills?
 
Last edited:
Ummm......The police do bust all the afore menioned types of criminals I was not suggesting that junkies be locked up becasue they "may" commit crimes, I was pointing out that many times in my career I have arrested burglars, thieves, etc who happen to be junkies. I am well aware we are not living in a Minority Report type society. What the hell! I have no idea where you even gotthe idea that junkies shoud be arrested based on their lifestyle and all the other horsecrap you mentioned.

That's specifically the rationale you repeatedly give for keeping drugs illegal- "druggies" commit crimes, so drugs should be illegal.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom