• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Restoring Honor Rally 8/28

Denver

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Sep 8, 2007
Messages
10,015
This coming Saturday, 8/28, Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally will be held in D.C.
The event stage will be located on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. Several video screens and sound towers will be placed along the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool and on the grounds of the Washington Monument.

I'm not really sure what it's going to be about, or how many people will attend. I thought it would useful to start a thread for anyone interested.

One odd thing I noticed (don't know if this is usual for a rally): none of the attendees are allowed to carry signs. I don't know why that would be suppressed from a rally, unless there is a real concern for conflict, or just a worry there would be some really stupid signs.
 
Last edited:
I love that in the link for the rally itself, it claims it is a completely non partisan rally which is happening to honor our troops.

Yet here is a quote from Beck's on web page about the event

I'm coming to you next year with a plan, and it's multilayered. The first is ‑‑ and I started working on this in August. A 100‑year plan for America. A 100‑year plan for America. This country was destroyed, and it began 100 years ago with the progressive movement. We weren't destroyed overnight. We were destroyed piece by piece

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/33466/

Indeed, what could be less political than a rally about how the left has destroyed America?

Ah yes, this country was so much better 100 years ago. You know, that magical time when women couldn't vote, blacks were drinking at separate water fountains, cocaine was a legal additive in soda pop, and you could put your 5 year old to work in a coal mine or textile mill.

I'm tearing up from nostalgia.
 
I love that in the link for the rally itself, it claims it is a completely non partisan rally which is happening to honor our troops.

Yet here is a quote from Beck's on web page about the event



http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/33466/

Indeed, what could be less political than a rally about how the left has destroyed America?

Ah yes, this country was so much better 100 years ago. You know, that magical time when women couldn't vote, blacks were drinking at separate water fountains, cocaine was a legal additive in soda pop, and you could put your 5 year old to work in a coal mine or textile mill.

I'm tearing up from nostalgia.

I'm guessing you are not a Rich White Male with an Anglo-Saxon name? :duck:
 
I would have posted under that thread, except I did not equate that title with the 8/28 event. And since the rally is supposed to be 'apolitical', I suppose having the thread in this current events forum, rather than the political forum, still works.
 
I love that in the link for the rally itself, it claims it is a completely non partisan rally which is happening to honor our troops.

Yet here is a quote from Beck's on web page about the event



http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/33466/

Indeed, what could be less political than a rally about how the left has destroyed America?

Ah yes, this country was so much better 100 years ago. You know, that magical time when women couldn't vote, blacks were drinking at separate water fountains, cocaine was a legal additive in soda pop, and you could put your 5 year old to work in a coal mine or textile mill.

I'm tearing up from nostalgia.

Why stop at 100 years? If it hadn't been for that pinko Lincoln, I'd be living in luxury, wearing a white suit, rocking on the porch of my plantation house and sipping a mint julep.
 
Don't forgot this nifty travel guide for Maine Tea Partiers headed to Washington DC for Beck's Bash - this'll help keep you from inadvertently straying into any of those dangerous "dark" areas.

If you are on the subway stay on the Red line between Union Station and Shady Grove, Maryland. If you are on the Blue or Orange line do not go past Eastern Market (Capitol Hill) toward the Potomac Avenue stop and beyond; stay in NW DC and points in Virginia. Do not use the Green line or the Yellow line. These rules are even more important at night. There is of course nothing wrong with many other areas; but you don't know where you are, so you should not explore them.

Remember, these rules are even more important at night! That's because the inhabitants of those dangerous "dark" areas are even harder to see at night, unless, of course, they smile. What a great way to honor Dr. King's legacy :rolleyes:


http://paintmainered.ning.com/profiles/blogs/so-you-are-coming-to-the-828
 
Violent crime is a real problem in Washington DC, and far more likely to happen at night than during the day. It's ridiculous that you take a very reasonable warning against non-locals straying into dangerous areas of a very violent city, and act like it's obviously about racism.
 
Violent crime is a real problem in Washington DC, and far more likely to happen at night than during the day. It's ridiculous that you take a very reasonable warning against non-locals straying into dangerous areas of a very violent city, and act like it's obviously about racism.

Have you read the whole guide this is excerpted from? It's not just about describing "safe" areas for people not familiar with the city.

And, very violent city? Really? Not that crime isn't a problem, but it sounds like your image of Washington was formed in the 80s and hasn't changed.
 
It's difficult to get crowd estimates out of the rally producers. Today Beck is talking about that. He says things like:

"I would be thrilled to get 100,000 people. MLK had 200,000".
"There's no way we'll get 500,000".
"We've rented a side field and put jumboTrons there. So we can accommodate 500,000."
"My belief has been: If you build it, they will come."
 
It's about the glorification and enrichment of Glenn Beck.

Steve S

This.
As to the Guide Controversy, a great many standard tourists guides list the areas of DC you should NOT go into, without the racial overtones that the Beck guide does.
 
The part about participants not being "allowed" to carry signs seems to be a "request" not a rule. Even Glenn Beck can't repeal the First Amendment on public property.
 
My mom will be there. She's flown into DC just to attend it. She called me up today to let me know she's already scouted out her place where she will set up her backpack lawn chairs.

I really just don't see what she see's in the guy.
 
"Restoring Honor" to a sociopath like Beck, means restoring white males to power as he thinks God intended.
 
The part about participants not being "allowed" to carry signs seems to be a "request" not a rule. Even Glenn Beck can't repeal the First Amendment on public property.

Interesting - it is now listed as a request, but I am fairly certain earlier this week it was not broken out by requested versus prohibited items. But I can't find an archive of it.
 
I'm reminded of an "American Dad" episode with two Glenn Beck style white guys complaining about the state of America in the modern era:

<disappointed sigh> "Isn't it horrible how we used to have ALL of the power and now we only have MOST of the power?"

It's about the glorification and enrichment of Glenn Beck.

Steve S

Indeed
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom