• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Restoring Honor Rally 8/28

It goes way beyond a new book, or promoting Beck. There are people behind the scenes spending a lot of money on propaganda like this--extremely rich people who want to pay less taxes, big corporations who don't want to be regulated, etc. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but read this article in the New Yorker about the billionaire Koch brothers, who have been linked to Beck.

It does sound like a conspiracy theory. To be honest this really looks like nothing more than Glenn Beck capitalizing on what preachers already do without having to form a church. That he has rich backers willing to do it for whatever reason is just more opportunity to him to secure his media church. Even if what you say is true where's the real injustices being rallied against here? That really rich people don't want to pay some taxes? Corporations don't want regulations calling for accountability and blocks against fraud? These aren't social injustices. These are not in any form similar to the Civil Rights rallies and marches 40 years ago. No one is being fire-hosed by police because of corporate regulations and taxes. No one is being lynched because of what he's talking about. This is nothing but opportunism and self-promotion with little to no substance. Beck already has the freedom to have his national media punditry; he can live to whatever ideals he wants; he can preach to whatever he wants. If he really wanted to make a difference why isn't this a rally to support Habitat for Humanity or Doctors Without Borders or something that actually DOES make a difference?
 
It does sound like a conspiracy theory. To be honest this really looks like nothing more than Glenn Beck capitalizing on what preachers already do without having to form a church. That he has rich backers willing to do it for whatever reason is just more opportunity to him to secure his media church. Even if what you say is true where's the real injustices being rallied against here? That really rich people don't want to pay some taxes? Corporations don't want regulations calling for accountability and blocks against fraud? These aren't social injustices. These are not in any form similar to the Civil Rights rallies and marches 40 years ago. No one is being fire-hosed by police because of corporate regulations and taxes. No one is being lynched because of what he's talking about. This is nothing but opportunism and self-promotion with little to no substance. Beck already has the freedom to have his national media punditry; he can live to whatever ideals he wants; he can preach to whatever he wants. If he really wanted to make a difference why isn't this a rally to support Habitat for Humanity or Doctors Without Borders or something that actually DOES make a difference?

I totally agree. I think it's obscene that he's comparing himself to MLK. But there is a conspiracy of sorts that Beck's involved in, with money from people like the Koch brothers who have created many think tanks and front groups. Maybe conspiracy isn't the right word, but if you read the article I linked to you'll see what I mean. This def. goes beyond Beck and his show and books.
 
I totally agree. I think it's obscene that he's comparing himself to MLK. But there is a conspiracy of sorts that Beck's involved in, with money from people like the Koch brothers who have created many think tanks and front groups. Maybe conspiracy isn't the right word, but if you read the article I linked to you'll see what I mean. This def. goes beyond Beck and his show and books.

I'm willing to buy that very rich people would give opportunistic cockroaches like Beck a chance to support their interests, but I have a hard time thinking Beck cares if someone else feels they're manipulating him. He's happy enough to just exploit every chance he gets to stump his own media church.

I'll read the article when I'm not posting from my phone...
 
Don't forgot this nifty travel guide for Maine Tea Partiers headed to Washington DC for Beck's Bash - this'll help keep you from inadvertently straying into any of those dangerous "dark" areas.



Remember, these rules are even more important at night! That's because the inhabitants of those dangerous "dark" areas are even harder to see at night, unless, of course, they smile. What a great way to honor Dr. King's legacy :rolleyes:


http://paintmainered.ning.com/profiles/blogs/so-you-are-coming-to-the-828
Well, in all fairness, DC fluctuates between the top and a notch or two down for the title of Murder Capital of the US.

There are parts of town within walking distance of the safe streets around the Capital that are definitely not safe after dark.


But I don't know anything about which metro lines go where or the message about them you've quoted.
 
So I'm looking at the Fox coverage right now and it's disgusting a nut job like Beck was able to draw such a large crowd. Scary, considering the bigoted message many of these people extoll.
 
So I'm looking at the Fox coverage right now and it's disgusting a nut job like Beck was able to draw such a large crowd. Scary, considering the bigoted message many of these people extoll.
I watched a good part of this rally and never heard even one bigoted statement. A number of performers and speakers, including Martin Luther King's niece, were African-American.
 
I watched a good part of this rally and never heard even one bigoted statement. A number of performers and speakers, including Martin Luther King's niece, were African-American.


I watched some earlier - it was a bit like dropping acid except I could make it stop with my finger. It was a highly politicized mixture of religion and flag fetishizing.

It reminded me of this:

263894c66aee8f0a32.jpg



Warning: Everything in the montage above is fake
 
Glenn Beck: Americas new Religious Prophet.

All hail the church of Beck!

You know, I used to think it was just all about the money for Beck, but after seeing this nonsense, I'm changing my mind. I think he's starting to creep into dangerous, theocratic demagogue territory now :boxedin:
 
I watched a good part of this rally and never heard even one bigoted statement. A number of performers and speakers, including Martin Luther King's niece, were African-American.
I guess it depends on how you interpret the sentiments this crowd is expressing.

You might look and see some white mother talking about returning to our past values of hard work and self reliance.

I see the same woman and read between the lines that she is talking about her specific Christian values, no gays, no foreigners, no atheists, no non-Christian values and all those people on unemployment are shiftless and lazy.


I don't see that we have lost our sense of self reliance. I don't see the need to return to basic Christian values. So I conclude the talk of "returning" to some lost idealized past is really a statement that the country has lapsed into a state of sin and sloth.

What 'honor' do you think they are referring to restoring?


All bigotry is not about blacks and whites, nor is having some blacks express similar sentiments rule out bigotry against all those non-Christian heathens. There happens to be a preponderance of white Christian Southerners among this crowd and some of them do still harbor lingering racism. But that is not the bigotry I am talking about. I do think it contributes to the problem. If you are bigoted against one group it's within your personality to see the world as 'us' and 'them'.
 
Last edited:
So I'm looking at the Fox coverage right now and it's disgusting a nut job like Beck was able to draw such a large crowd. Scary, considering the bigoted message many of these people extoll.

How large was the crowd, really? I've seen estimates from Beck as high as 500,000, whereas the AP has said only "tens of thousands". I wish the damn Capitol Police would start doing crowd estimates again.
 
How large was the crowd, really? I've seen estimates from Beck as high as 500,000, whereas the AP has said only "tens of thousands". I wish the damn Capitol Police would start doing crowd estimates again.
It was much larger than I thought it would be given how absolutely mentally ill Beck's rantings actually are.

Park service crowd estimate map

CNN claimed the crowd went as far back as the WA Monument and I think that agrees with the pictures I saw. That makes 500,000 a very low estimate. It could be closer to 1,000,000.
 
I watched a good part of this rally and never heard even one bigoted statement. A number of performers and speakers, including Martin Luther King's niece, were African-American.


Bigotry isn't just whites-vs-blacks.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom