You can admit something is true and still be angry about it.I don't get this thread. Why is there so much anger over the suggestion that racism is a problem in Australia, when everyone pretty much admits it's true?
You can admit something is true and still be angry about it.I don't get this thread. Why is there so much anger over the suggestion that racism is a problem in Australia, when everyone pretty much admits it's true?
My thoughts are that interference in other cultures doesn't work. Some South American tribes that have had little to no outside influence have shown that Science and/or religion is not the be all and end all. They live life with much love and respect for each other and the environment and don't have all these issues that are rife in modern societies like addictions.
Yes many many years of interference and look what it's done to the original inhabitants...
that's your spin on it.
what is this some western education system type general knowledge quiz?? ..puhleeze..
*humms "3%, 3%, 3%" to himself while doing a waltz*
After gerg did the hit and run on the Australia thread over in History et al., I went to the ANTAR website. It's curiously lacking in concrete grievances. They seem to object to the NTER but fail to make a case as to why it is bad and what they think are good alternatives.
Also I'm intrigued by the "untouched indigenous tribes are one with nature and totally utopian" vibe. Neither science nor cynicism seem to be able to kill it.![]()
So, casinos?No aborigines that I have ever met want to return to that existence. They want to move forward too, but here's the thing: They want to manage it themselves at they own pace and using their own methods, with dignity.
Yes but the question that was asked had no relation to what I posted..The question that was asked was "what percentage of the total population of Australia is made up by the indigenous people?" That has as much relevance to the thead "Racism in Australia" as the price of fish in China..Around here if you make a statement of fact, you are expected to be able to back it up with facts.
Well what do the Aboriginals think? Are they comfortable with being called "Australians" or "Aboriginals/Aboriginees" for that matter? Perhaps they're perfectly fine with it but I'm not sure at this point hence the quote marks.
My thoughts are that interference in other cultures doesn't work. Some South American tribes that have had little to no outside influence have shown that Science and/or religion is not the be all and end all. They live life with much love and respect for each other and the environment and don't have all these issues that are rife in modern societies like addictions.
I don't get this thread. Why is there so much anger over the suggestion that racism is a problem in Australia, when everyone pretty much admits it's true?
The title of the thread should hopefully give a clue
I refer you to my earlier post where I gave my thoughts on the matter
I think racism is still a problem in America too, so don't attack me (if you wouldn't mind... thanks) - I just have a worthless hearsay-based anecdote to share. My parents, went to Australia on business a few years ago and they said they were surprised by how racist some of their colleagues there were toward "abos" or whatever the term is. These people they met could have been far from representative of Australians of course. But it does seem to suggest to me that those, however few, who actually are racist must pay less of a social price for it than we would in the US, for example.
It's just the latest twist on the Rosseau "nobel savage" nonsense.
In the US we have a lot of so called 'experts' on Native Americans who refuse to accept that War was a way of life among many tribes, the Plains tribes in Particular, because it would clash with their idea of Pre Columbus life in America as being a Utopia.
Yes but the question that was asked had no relation to what I posted..The question that was asked was "what percentage of the total population of Australia is made up by the indigenous people?" That has as much relevance to the thead "Racism in Australia" as the price of fish in China..
There are problems with racism all over the world, here no different to anywhere else - that does not mean that the vast majority of the community is racist.
Surfers Paradise, Queensland.Where did they go?
There are certainly 'pockets' where problems are more prevalent than others.
You can admit something is true and still be angry about it.
Who said the vast majority of the community is racist? There is racism all over the world, of course, but that shouldn't be used as a reason for dismissing it as an issue.
Surfers Paradise, Queensland.
Not at all! We can hardly deny the obvious now, nor can we deny history. But dealing with the situation rationally means not spitting the dummy as a first response.I wasn't saying they were angry about racism in Australia, I was saying they were angry about it being brought up as a subject.
Do you mean our soon-to-be-emigrant, ex-pollie and famous blood-nut Pauline?Surfers Paradise, Queensland.
Most Aussies love diversity, we feel for the battler and identify with him. We embrace differences and the colour that those differences bring to our world. Empathy is our middle name. We love to help up, not hand out and will do this wherever possible.
My friends, neighbours and clients come from every continent on earth, are every colour imaginable and represent every generation of Australian (I am fifth, some are first and some 1000th) they are all welcome in my home and are all Australian.
There's no such thing as "the Aboriginals".Well what do the Aboriginals think?
That's how I see it. Some Australians come from convict ancestors, some have parents or grandparents who were born in Italy or Greece or Vietnam (or lots of other places), some are here from somewhere else (Africa, England, Asia, Eastern Europe, lots of places) and some are indigenous.The indigenous I know (and I do know many) by and large see us all as Australians.
http://www.antar.org.au/node/221Any facts and specifics would be nice.
It would also be a good way to get this conversation actually going somewhere, as so far all we have are inaccurate generalisations.
It's offensive to the vast majority of Australians who are not racist and it is also offensive to the indigenous of Australia.
You had already formed an opinion, and your comments also proved they were baseless.
You are a flog who can't recognise his own ignorance.![]()
Sounds pretty awful, doesn't it!In April 2008, a world-renowned Aboriginal composer, buzzing after a standing ovation at the Sydney Opera House, was turned away from half-empty Kings Cross haunt Hugo's. He and his friend were told, "You can't expect us to just let anyone in."
William Barton, a son of Delmae Barton, who has been to some of the world's top bars over his acclaimed career, was told the venue was "at capacity" as he tried to get it at 9.30pm on a Sunday to celebrate a friend's birthday. His friend immediately fronted Hugo's door staff - and was rudely told: "You can't expect us to just let anyone in."
Ah. Perhaps it wasn't his "aboriginality" so much that stopped him as much as he wasn't one of the known snobs-about-town (yes, Sydney has its fair share of society snobs, climbers and assorted wannabe hangers-on who have the own little tight cliques). I'm Anglo, white, straight and well-off and can dress well. But I'm sure I could not get into Hugo's either, for exactly the same reason - my name is not on the list with the door-bitch.A reluctant Barton said yesterday he was disappointed but not surprised by the brush-off at Hugo's, which is known as "Huge egos" among the Sydney party crowd for its snobby airs.
didnt read all the claims. but at least partially it soudns correct.
http://www.unhchr.ch/huricane/huricane.nsf/view01/313713727C084992C125761F00443D60?opendocument
No actually i still havent made up my mind about it. i never was in Australia and dont know much about it, and the few things i know are about the Nature, less about the people.