That is not trial evidence is it? Therefore you remain in a position of being unable to know what the evidence presented to a rape trial would have been.
Great. Put up or shut up: name one piece of evidence that could have been brought forward--anything at all that would be consistent with what we know of the nature of the encounter
according to the victim's own testimony and the amount of time that elapsed before the crime was reported. Anything?
I don't know why you think this but I know you are incorrect.
If you're saying that a jury is capable of coming to an unjustified conclusion, I've already said that. If you're saying that simply opting for the victim's testimony over the defendent's in the absence of any supporting evidence is reasonable, then I'm afraid you're wrong. That's not an opinion about how the law works, it's an opinion about the nature of the evidence.
Again, incorrect. I don't think you have a lot of knowledge of jury trials. Maybe better to stop trying to offer supposed wisdom on what would have been the outcome with this one.
I'm not saying what "would have been the outcome"--I'm saying what the prosecutors had a
reasonable expectation of. You must remember that another "possible" was Polanski getting off scot free. Samantha Gailey had a 17 yr old boyfriend with whom she was sexually active. In the mid 1970s it was a lot easier for lawyers defending people accused of rape to turn the trial essentially into a trial of the victim: was she a "good girl" or not. This was, of course, a disgusting travesty of justice, but the prosecutors had to weigh that risk pragmatically in making their decision. A jury would have likely been rather unsympathetic to a sexually active teenage girl who showed up unaccompanied by an adult at a film star's house for a photo shoot with a man who--by her own testimony--had already made sexual advances to her. None of that should, in fact, serve to acquit Polanski of taking advantage of a minor, but in a real court room with real jurors in the mid-1970s it very well could have.
Again, my point is simply that the plea deal he received was a prudent one on both his and the prosecutors' parts: and above all it was a very humane one from the point of view of his victim--regardless of the verdict in court, her reputation would have been shredded in the process in the most humiliatingly public way.