I think the cultural issue here is the idea of conformity, rather than the specifics of what people are conforming to (as you point out, the details can and do change).
Except that "conformity" only ever seems to mean "conformity with circumcision", never "conformity with intactness". I agree that conformity is a major reason.
My complaint is that you did not provide information within your article that seemed to support the claims you were making. That you have continued to do this hardly shows that you understand
I have not "continued" to do this. I have pointed out that the presentation is a summary of an article you have not read.
or agree with my complaint.
I never agreed with your complaint. Earlier you seemed to be saying that the mechanism for the rise of circumcision was necessarily and automatically the same as the mechanism for its fall:
There is no information showing that these attitudes and behaviours changed during the entire period under consideration.
Now we seem to agree that because widespread circumcision itself changes the environment, they may have different mechanisms.
I have no problem with choosing to make a case for or against a particular idea. I have a problem when one chooses to do so using the various methods you listed above
That's a very unjust and unsupported accusation, and I don't know why you make it.
instead of showing that even considering all the information and attempting to provide a balanced interpretation the idea remains more reasonable than the alternative. I have noticed, though, that it seems difficult to achieve the italicized portion if some attention is not given towards addressing biases.
There are basically two scenarios for the rise, and two for the fall, parent-driven and physician-driven (lumping doctors, nurses etc - I doubt that it will ever be possible to untangle them with the limited amount of data we have about 20 century NZ. Dr Smith thought Plunket nurses had a strong role - he thought they actually did them, but there is no evidence for this). There is evidence of matrons etc. pressuring mothers.
There is no evidence whatever for a parent-driven rise, and some circumstantial evidence for a physician-driven one. There is certainly no evidence for physicians putting up any resistance to a parent-driven rise, at a time when doctors were gods. There is a varity of direct evidence for a physician-driven fall, with parents dragging their heels. I don't know why you think we're biassed against physicians. (If we were, wouldn't we propose that parents drove the fall and physicians resisted them?) If we had any evidence at all for a parent-driven rise or fall, we would present it.
So how is that a mountain out of a molehill? If the topic was trivial,
The topic is not trivial. Your accusation is major, based on minor evidence.
wouldn't you be inclined to ignore a flippant remark?
It was a very rude remark.