I am at a loss here; do you mean I read a lot into an off-hand remark for saying that I was pretty sure you would agree with the assertion I made or was it something else?I think you've read an awful lot into an off-hand remark.
The problem with this analogy is that the perceived benefit from the vaccination is very easily addressed. The perceived benefit from circumcision is much more difficult to address, since it's based on cultural rather than medical issues.
So can we then agree that circumcision is essentially a cultural issue rather than a medical one? Based on your previous post I think that you would agree with that but I just thought I would check.
What do you base that on?
Linda
There was a lot in that paragraph but I am assuming your asking me about the assertion regarding whether or not doctors are making an effort to reduce the demand for circumcision. I think it would be difficult to find a solid resource to say one way or the other.
But we can look at actions taken since say 1972. De-listing the procedure from Medicaid for example. This is something that could have been done rather quickly but wasn't. It took nearly 10 years from when the AAP decided that circumcision should not be routinely performed to when it was dropped from the first Medicaid plan. And then 20 more years before there was much more movement afterwards. Now I know the individual Drs or Dr groups don't directly control this but the snail's pace I think speaks to how motivated they are.
September 1, 1982 - California
1986 - North Dakota
c. 1994 - Oregon
before 1999 - Mississippi, Nevada, Washington
August 1, 2002 - Missouri
October 1, 2002 - Arizona
December 1, 2002 - North Carolina
January 1, 2003 - Montana
July 1, 2003 - Utah Florida
February 3, 2004 - Maine
before April, 2005 - Louisiana
July 1, 2005 - Idaho
August 1, 2005 - Minnesota
Though it isn't really clear to me that delisting circumcision from public medical plans drives change in and of itself. Like you said it is largely cultural and they do try and find ways to pay. Dropping it from insurance might work if it is simultaneously discouraged by medical professionals. As it is now, in the US, I get the feeling that Drs feel out parents for their opinion and just let them go either way but that is just my impression and I realize it is a broad generalization.