Susan Gerbic
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Jan 23, 2007
- Messages
- 1,527
Originally Posted by The Atheist![]()
As I said, I'm quite sure these things are true, but it's still a presumption unless evidence is given to back it up. So far, I haven't seen that evidence stated. Who's to say that ex-members aren't just grinding axes?
And in the meantime, 400+ kids have been removed from their parents on largely hearsay evidence. Is that a good thing? If the evidence is so obvious, why has it taken so long to act? This has been going on for years, apparently. That being the case, how come nobody knew until a false complaint was laid?
Don't get me wrong - I don't agree for a second with what FLDS has done, but I also believe that when 400 kids are taken into custody, those doing the taking ought to have a water-tight case beforehand. The State of Texas doesn't appear to have ensured that.
Axes could very seriously may be being ground. One woman has written a book and is getting a lot of publicity, I wonder how high her moved has moved up on Amazon since this occurred. They could be lying, or stretching the truth, or some other avenue. I am totally with you on this and as the fantastic stories are told, in my mind I am thinking this is just too far-fetched to be true.
What have we seen in the legal sense from these ex-FLDS people. Almost nothing? One man who was an "lost boy" has sued Warren Jeffs, before Jeffs was captured. The young man is suing with other "lost boys". They said they didn't want to prosecute their families, because it was Jeffs that forced them out, their parents were forced to go along with it or risk being thrown out themselves.
We know that a 14 year old girl was behind Jeffs being caught and sentenced.
I hope (but don't know) that more ex-FLDS will come forward as the abused did when the Catholic scandals started hitting the news. They probably hid the abuse as they didn't think anyone would believe them, or didn't think people would be interested in their story.
I don't think 60% of the little girls being pregnant (or already had babies) in a very controlled closed society is hearsay evidence. I think that is obvious.
And as for taking the children from the mothers, I think of situations where the man of the household is harming the children and the mother is not able to protect the child. This is what is happening here (or seems to be happening) the women are totally controlled and "seem" to be abused themselves (it may even show they were children when they had their first babies) so we have to wait and see.
These FLDS children are not going into mainstream foster homes, they are with probably well screened Mormon families that were trained how to deal with this situation.
Because we see little coming from Texas why do you assume that this will be reversed? We don't have the DNA back yet, and that will be a giant piece of evidence used against the FLDS. I think Texas is wonderful, they must feel amazing pressure to get their critics off their backs and tell the world what they actually have found. But they are suppressing that information for now in order to not harm their case.
Susan


