• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2012 end of the world?????

Well lauras, the Mayans were big on the planet Venus and in 2012 it is going to do an 8 hour transit across the face of the sun.
If this causes a sufficient ripple in the solar winds, who knows?
The San Andreas fault may finally let go. So might the Tokyo .

And monkeys might fly out of my bottom:rolleyes:

Can you refresh my memory and tell me what global catcalysms ocurred during the transits of venus in these years...
  • 1631
  • 1639
  • 1761
  • 1769
  • 1874
  • 1882
  • 2004

Thanks in advance.
 
One can't help noticing that the Mayan world seems to have come to an effective end around a thousand years ago.
Perhaps the fact their astronomers have failed to update their calendar for the next thousand years is in some way related to this?

I think the effective end of the Mayan world was roughly 500 years ago, doesn't it ?
 
I went away and had a look at some articles and videos about this subject and still find it totally laughable really what a load of nonsense lol.
And no xboxwarrior im lauras not "mayday" lol :p
so now that i have done research i am going to make my friend watch what i have watched and maybe it will bore her out of believeing it lol

Your friend is lucky to have you. :) Anyway, welcome to the forum and yes, it is lovely here. I've learned so much and really enjoy my time here.

As for your friend, I think she'll be scared for a little while and then as a few weeks go by she'll be living her life and begin to not worry about the so-called end of the world in 2012. I think every year for as far back as I can remember the rag mags have "end times" predictions for the end of the world. I've seen them now for so many years I just laugh when I see them now. Hopefully she will someday, too.
 
I went away and had a look at some articles and videos about this subject and still find it totally laughable really what a load of nonsense lol.
And no xboxwarrior im lauras not "mayday" lol :p
so now that i have done research i am going to make my friend watch what i have watched and maybe it will bore her out of believeing it lol

You might also remind her that all sorts of catastrophes were predicted for the turn of the century but none of them came true. Good luck.
 
Allow your friend to put her money where her delusions are. Suggest that she sign a legal document transferring all her assets to you on January 1, 2013 when she obviously will no longer need them.

That'll shut her up.


This guy has pretty much nailed it down.

Do what he told you. Let us know what your friend says after your "indecent proposal".
 
Glad you liked it, Orphia. So I started a religion...when do I get rich?
 
Well lauras, the Mayans were big on the planet Venus and in 2012 it is going to do an 8 hour transit across the face of the sun.
If this causes a sufficient ripple in the solar winds, who knows?
The San Andreas fault may finally let go. So might the Tokyo .

Just enough of a cataclysm to herald a new epoch.

I watched the last transit on the steps of the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. June 8 2004. The world failed to end.

My prediction for 2013, based on Murphy's Law and Soapy's Principle of Universal Awkwardness:- You WILL be paying taxes.
 
I think the effective end of the Mayan world was roughly 500 years ago, doesn't it ?
You mean the Conquistadores?
I meant the apparent collapse of the "Classical" Maya culture in the south.

Same difference, I guess, for the purposes of this thread. The "Maya" calendar certainly failed to foresee the end of the Mayan world. I doubt they were much concerned with when (say) polar bears would cop their whack.:)
 
The really stupid thing about all this, aside from believing that a culture thousands of years ago magically knew when the world would end, is that the Mayan calendar doesn't end in 2012. It doesn't end at all. Ever.

The first problem is that there is no single Mayan calendar, there are several, some used more than others and some which we don't understand that well at the moment. Most of these were cyclical, with a 260 day calendar being the most common, but with various others, mostly based on astronomical events, including 13, 20, 365, 584 and 819 days. The calendar all the doomsday nonsense is based on is the "Long Count". This is unusal because it is the only calendar the Mayans used which isn't cyclic. It starts at some point in the past and then just keeps on counting up, in exactly the same way our calendar works.

The misunderstanding comes because the Long Count is made up of the smaller cycles, in the same way we use weeks and months to count up years. The most common way of writing dates used only a limited number of smaller cycles for the simple reason that more generally weren't necessary. Using this limited notation, the Long Count ends after about 5000 years. However, this is not actually the end of the calendar, and there are dates written using longer notation that show the Mayans were perfectly aware of this. Saying the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 makes no more sense than saying our calendar ends in 9999. We just use slightly longer notation and the whole thing carries on working just fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar
 
I just posted in a new thread a prime example of the 2012 nonsense that is now permanenting the net. Mods,feel free to merge.
 
It is in reference to the end of the very accurate Mayan Calender of 13-baktun cycle of the Mayan Long Count, which is December 21st, 2012 A.D. .
.

No fair! That's the day before my birthday! Can't we postpone the end of the world 24 hours? Maybe use a "Gregorian Mayan calendar"?
 
Last edited:
Allow your friend to put her money where her delusions are. Suggest that she sign a legal document transferring all her assets to you on January 1, 2013 when she obviously will no longer need them.

That'll shut her up.

Look on the bright side. If 12/21/2012 is the end of the world, it means that whoever is elected in November will be the last President we'll ever have to deal with.

I wouldn't do that, she could end up ending your world personally
 
I watched the last transit on the steps of the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. June 8 2004. The world failed to end.

My prediction for 2013, based on Murphy's Law and Soapy's Principle of Universal Awkwardness:- You WILL be paying taxes.

I don't think that there was a prediction of the world ending on June 8 2004, Soapy Sam.

lauras asked about 2012.

If you stick your nose in a bit of Mayan literature you will see they had a good knowledge of astronomy and time.

And the only major astronomical event in 2012 is the transit of Venus.
And the only thing that that will do, beside send a few fools blind, is interrupt the flow of the solar winds.

And since we have loaded tectonic plates and an unstable magnetic field...........who knows?

It sounds like a bit of "woo" on your part there Soapy, predicting the future.:D
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom