Your costume analysis is well informed. You seem to have a lot of insight into suit making, and even connections in the business.
My knowledge of special effects comes mostly from research about the subject and building Halloween displays. The majority of my connections in the entertainment industry are on independent side of things and none of them are connected to special effects (unless you could Dfoot and I responding to eachother's posts).
So c'mon, if some costume maker did make the PGF suit, surely people in the business would know who, how, and when the suit was made (by now).
Sure some people would know, but would they tell (especially if they had signed a contract guaranteeing their silence)? There's also the issue that a man suspected of helping create the suit, Janos Prohaska, died in a plane crash in the 70's. This suspicion supported by statements he made against Patty being a costume that blatantly contradict his own work experience (Like saying that it'd be hard to find a big man when he worked with such men on "Star Trek"). Rick Baker's rumor that John Chambers was behind it seems to have complicated the matter. I'd link you to Mark Chorvinsky's investigation on the matter to show you the difficulties he faced in talking to certain people in the industry, but I recall that you "don't do links."
As for the how, Bob Burns says a water bag was used base don his frame-by-frame analysis of the film. Stan Winston says that the fur is fake based on the way the fur looks/its lack of structure.
And let's face it, it's not like the majority of Bigfoot proponents would believe any Hollywood insider who came forward with such details.
I've read here that a Mr. Chambers is credited with the Minnesota Ice Man.
Well, he apparently provided some advice, but he didn't create it. Howard Ball should get the bulk of the credit and others might've done touch-up work. It seems to me that Frank Hansen went to different people with different areas of expertise in order to get the exact look he wanted for the Iceman. More on the subject can be found in the JREF thread "The Minnesota Iceman."
Oh wait, beginner's luck, right?
Heh, that actually reminds me of something Bill Munns said in part four of his Patty analysis. In it, he discusses how Hollywood makeup men of the day felt threatened by amateur upstarts whose work rivaled/surpassed theirs.
I vaguely recall seeing this mentioned. Is this gentleman still alive today?
Mr. Morris is still alive, but I think he's probably lying about selling Patterson a suit. Awhile back, I posted a quote from a book he wrote in which he discussed lying about being hired to make elephant costumes in order to get free publicity/cash in on an elephant-training friend coming to visit.
I read a thread at BFF. Dealing with the Myakka Ape.
More on the Myakka Ape (and costumes) can be found in the JREF thread "How long before this becomes a bigfoot sighting?" An idea that didn't occur to me at the time was that "Asian costume" that's supposed to match up with the "skunk ape" is of the Indonesian/Balinese type. I also did a post here in which I linked to a video using a mask that had some similarities to the Myakka Skunk Ape.
And here's an alternate reason for making an orangutan-based creature hoax: Since orangutans are the closest living relative of Gigantopithecus blackii and since Gigantopithecus is suspected by some to be Bigfoot...
Back to the topic, what was the suit that William Morris provided to Patterson made of? Concerning the fur, of course.
He claimed it was made of Dynel.