• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

On this day in history.

1998 Monica Lewinsky scandal: US President Bill Clinton admits in taped testimony he had an "improper physical relationship" with the intern and on the same day admits before the nation he "misled people" about the relationship

If only scandals were so quaint today....
 
On this day, August 19th 1939


France gives gift of photography to the world

August 19th, 1839: Louis Daguerre has received a lifetime pension from France in exchange for his recent invention, a process by which visual impressions from a camera are transferred to metal plates. France announces the technology is "free to the world" and the public first learns of photography.

I didn't realise it but we have a very old photo back into the 19th century that I've often wondered about because it is on a thin what looks like tin plate. Wondered why it was on a metal plate. It is of my great-great-grandfather so could be as old as 1860s.
 
1991 Conservative members of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union attempt to depose Mikhail Gorbachev in a coup d'état

Hint hint....
 
Come on. Get at least one of these right.

f20d95ff9f36c0eb4693a87694101a16.jpg
 
Joe Strummer. Born on this day 1952.

1787303601075.png

“I think people ought to know that we’re anti-fascist, we’re anti-violence, we're anti-racist and we’re pro-creative. We’re against ignorance.”
 
The Scream (1893), a painting by Edvard Munch, was stolen from the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway; it was recovered two years later.

81V+c-jfW-L._AC_SX679_.jpg
 
1996 Osama bin Laden issues a message entitled "A Declaration of War Against the Americans Occupying the Land of the Two Holy Places"

If only there was some kind of warning....
 
Henry Tulip becomes King of England this day 1485, but declared himself King retrospectively from the 21st August, following the death of Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth Field.

1787522879937.png
 
Autocorrect really doesn't like Welsh.
Sorry, it's from the first series of Blackadder after the battle of Bosworth. I what I always call Henry VII.

Queen: Richard, it's you!
Richard IV: Well, who did you expect it to be?
Queen: Why, I thought it would be Henry Tulip.
Richard IV: Henry Tulip? Have you lost your conkers?
Queen: So you won?
Richard IV: Yes, of course! We won! We won! Victory! [General cheers from his entourage.]
Queen: So, I suppose now >you< want to ravish me...
Richard IV: Yes, yes, in a moment... [He turns to one of his entourage.] The woman's insatiable!
 
So I'm doing this today:
1429 - Joan of Arc arrives at the outskirts of Paris... fails.
1883 - Krakatoa erupts (cool)
1910 - Mother Teresa born (ugh)
1930 - Sean Connery born (also ugh)
1944 - Liberation of Paris (not too bad)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom