• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies?

You are affirming that San Jose State University is incorrect?
This was a grad student's master's thesis, not an official finding of the University. I'm confident that an SJSU grad student can indeed be incorrect about things. Especially about politically or emotionally charged things, and about things having to do with information technology.

Also, this paper examines Dark Web content specifically. People finding CSAM on the Dark Web are already two or three conscious, informed decisions into seeking out CSAM, regardless of whatever Dark Web algorithms are waiting to service their increasingly obscene perversions.

And while I do think that overindulgence can wire paraphilia into your brain where it didn't exist before, I'd like to see a proper examination of causality. I have a hypothesis that people who are diving into the Dark Web to satisfy their paraphilia didn't get there through innocent porn consumption, they got there because they were never wired to be satisfied by innocent porn consumption. Most gooners find their niche and go all in on that niche. They don't convert to scat fetish because cishet missionary porn got old.
 
Last edited:
According to the National Institute of Health:
Approximately 15% to 40% of retired professional boxers show symptoms of chronic brain injury or long-term neurological damage. Clinical dementia and chronic traumatic brain injury (CTBI) specifically affect roughly 20% of professional fighters over their careers.
That's not what I was addressing with that example. The difference between a consensual activity for the entertainment of others and assault was. You know, since "rape" is right in the topic name.
 
So it looks like rape rates in the west have been decreasing since at least 1990, even as porn availability and use have been increasing. More porn correlates with less rape.

Poem doesn't care about actual rape or actual rape culture. Those are just sounds he makes to try to shame people who make, consume, or tolerate porn because he's learned that most people don't want to be associated with those particular sequences of syllables. If he could transmit the sound of screeching car brakes over the forum software, this thread would be named "Does [sound of screeching car brakes] accurately describe (many) societies?" and the OP would be all about how everyone in the world agrees that porn makes car brakes screech louder.
 
It was always about pornography.
And mostly off topic at that. The current round of going round and round about strangling isn't even about it somehow causing rape, but that it might cause others to do consensually. Which is the polar opposite of rape.

If anything it's a counter-argument for the idea that seeing something on the screen leads people to commit assault. If they strangle someone non-consensually, that's the felony of assault and battery, and I'm sure .we would have heard by now if there was some huge up-tick in the crime statistics.
 
Last edited:
So it looks like rape rates in the west have been decreasing since at least 1990, even as porn availability and use have been increasing. More porn correlates with less rape.
It's even more than that. That study also compared the rape incidence to internet availability in different states at the time, not just a global trend. A global correlation can be spurious. The same correlation in different states, with different levels of internet availability would need one heck of a coincidence to be all spurious.
 
Neither is strangulation, by the way. Why the ◊◊◊◊ would somebody want to strangulate or even pretend to strangle somebody they're making love to? (This is not a rhetorical question!)

A (claimed by practitioners) neurophysiological phenomenon in which hypoxia enhances orgasm.

Does it "work?" No idea. I used to be able to hold my breath in a relaxed state for well over seven minutes, but it never had any erotic side effects on me. That falls short of a full test of the practice, though.
 
A (claimed by practitioners) neurophysiological phenomenon in which hypoxia enhances orgasm.

Does it "work?" No idea. I used to be able to hold my breath in a relaxed state for well over seven minutes, but it never had any erotic side effects on me. That falls short of a full test of the practice, though.
I suspect that if it was as easy as holding one's breath, pearl divers would never reproduce, sice they'd have blown any load they ever had at work.
 
I think I learned that term here. I don't remember which one, but it was not in a thread about quarks! :D
This is a new one:

And that's just what I needed to improve my searches. It's a much better search word. Always listen to the experts!
It's not my fault you're more concerned about porn than rape.
 
I suspect that if it was as easy as holding one's breath, pearl divers would never reproduce, sice they'd have blown any load they ever had at work.

I agree. Breath players would likely engage in additional erotic stimulation. Though that still wouldn't explain many narratives about hanged men spontaneously ejaculating. (If those are actually true.) Or, the magic only happens if the hypoxia proceeds all the way to unconsciousness, which as far as I can tell is impossible through voluntary breath holding for most people, due to reflexes.
 
I agree. Breath players would likely engage in additional erotic stimulation. Though that still wouldn't explain many narratives about hanged men spontaneously ejaculating. (If those are actually true.) Or, the magic only happens if the hypoxia proceeds all the way to unconsciousness, which as far as I can tell is impossible through voluntary breath holding for most people, due to reflexes.
Possibly. But then hanged people also piss and crap themselves, and nobody claimed that hypoxia is a diuretic or laxative. It's just what happens when you go unconscious and lose control of the sphincters.
 
Poem doesn't care about actual rape or actual rape culture. Those are just sounds he makes to try to shame people who make, consume, or tolerate porn because he's learned that most people don't want to be associated with those particular sequences of syllables.
I mean, that's pretty obvious by now.

But I still have the question I raised years ago, and which IIRC nobody answered yet: how do these people know exactly what happens in which video and/or in how many videos?

Same example as before: a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was on a porn site and reading the comments. I know, dumb mistake. There were these couple of guys who were always foaming at the mouth accusing everyone else of being gay or rapists or whatever... based on something that happened 20 or 30 minutes into the video. (I obviously won't give descriptions, or the mods would object.) Or commenting about the guys being uncircumcised, when that wasn't in the thumbnail, and the guys didn't show up until 10 minutes in, until then it was just the women frisking each others. Like, what, someone is so horrified by it... that they'd spend at least 30 minutes watching a porn video to find something to complain about? And doing it a dozen times a day? I don't think even most porn addicts would spend half a dozen hours a day on a specific genre, even if they liked it, much less on one they find abhorrent. Someone must have a MAJOR hard-on about it, to put in all that time.

As I was saying, to me the most plausible explanation for me is that some people just think that protesting the loudest clears them of any suspicions of actually enjoying spending hours there daily. Kind of a weird and stupid absolution ritual to clear their name. He was there, he wanked furiously to it, now it's time to assure everyone that he TOTALLY was there for the opposite reason of hating that genre so much... that he spends hours there watching it. Oh yeah, now he's practically a feminist since he complained. Some women better come reward him. As I was saying, kinda like it invariably turns out that some preacher who was rabidly foaming at the mouth against gays... has been hiring teen gay prostitutes for years.
 
Last edited:
This was a grad student's master's thesis, not an official finding of the University. I'm confident that an SJSU grad student can indeed be incorrect about things. Especially about politically or emotionally charged things, and about things having to do with information technology.

Also, this paper examines Dark Web content specifically. People finding CSAM on the Dark Web are already two or three conscious, informed decisions into seeking out CSAM, regardless of whatever Dark Web algorithms are waiting to service their increasingly obscene perversions.
If you want corroboration - here's the Internet Watch Foundation talking about EE2E:
And while I do think that overindulgence can wire paraphilia into your brain where it didn't exist before, I'd like to see a proper examination of causality. I have a hypothesis that people who are diving into the Dark Web to satisfy their paraphilia didn't get there through innocent porn consumption, they got there because they were never wired to be satisfied by innocent porn consumption. Most gooners find their niche and go all in on that niche. They don't convert to scat fetish because cishet missionary porn got old.
Citation?
 
If you want corroboration - here's the Internet Watch Foundation talking about EE2E:
This doesn't corroborate anything I have doubts about.

Citation?
For my hypothesis? Okay, sure:

I have a hypothesis that people who are diving into the Dark Web to satisfy their paraphilia didn't get there through innocent porn consumption, they got there because they were never wired to be satisfied by innocent porn consumption. Most gooners find their niche and go all in on that niche. They don't convert to scat fetish because cishet missionary porn got old.​
​
Prestige, T. (2026, August 11) Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies? Post #5,401. International Skeptics Forum. https://internationalskeptics.com/f...-describe-many-societies.370195/post-14900971.​
 
This doesn't corroborate anything I have doubts about.
You still doubt that child porn is available on the open web?
For my hypothesis? Okay, sure:

I have a hypothesis that people who are diving into the Dark Web to satisfy their paraphilia didn't get there through innocent porn consumption, they got there because they were never wired to be satisfied by innocent porn consumption. Most gooners find their niche and go all in on that niche. They don't convert to scat fetish because cishet missionary porn got old.​
​
Prestige, T. (2026, August 11) Does 'rape culture' accurately describe (many) societies? Post #5,401. International Skeptics Forum. https://internationalskeptics.com/f...-describe-many-societies.370195/post-14900971.​
What evidence do you have that they : don't convert to scat fetish because cishet missionary porn got old.
 
Citation. On my desk by 7pm.
Since the only age mentioned in the article is 7 year olds I'll stick to my take away from the article. You can of course continue to think the other two men were looking at CSAM that featured teenagers who had passed through puberty.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom