• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

General UK politics VIII - The Last Tory

I remember someone at the office had a classic Triumph Stag that they loved. You could always tell their bay as it had the matching stains on the wall where the exhausts were
It's strange to find yourself driving behind an old pre-catalytic-converter car and be reminded that traffic just used to smell like that and the fuel had lead in it. What were we thinking?
 
I really noticed the smoker smell the first time I visited the family after first moving out.
Everyone in the house but me smoked.
 
It's strange to find yourself driving behind an old pre-catalytic-converter car and be reminded that traffic just used to smell like that and the fuel had lead in it. What were we thinking?
It (TEL) was a cheap solution to 'knocking'.
Curiously I was reading Pedler's novel Brainrack recently, which discusses the effects of lead on the human brain. Thankfully no nuclear power facilities have been destroyed by TEL.
 
It (TEL) was a cheap solution to 'knocking'.
Curiously I was reading Pedler's novel Brainrack recently, which discusses the effects of lead on the human brain. Thankfully no nuclear power facilities have been destroyed by TEL.
It was also a way of using cheap, plaincast iron cylinder heads instead of having to machine and fit hardened steel seats.
 
◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ ◊◊◊◊ bastards. They all need to get their whoreson ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ entitled ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ arses into the deepest ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ depths of the sea, like the ◊◊◊◊◊ that they are, IMHO.

ETA: I was expecting more diamonds.
Don't hold back.
 
Everywhere had a cigarette smell, people even smoked in hospitals.
20 years ago at work we had smoking tea bars next to nonsmoking ones with a 3m opening between them. My shirt smelled just by walking past to get to my desk. And I was working in a manufacturing site where it had been well known that smoke from the lungs increased the particle count in the clean room significantly (I *think* at university, the lecturer said the effect lasted half an hour).

I also remember the massive complaintd by smokers about the loss of indoor smoking facilities. Not just at work but when the legislation was being discussed. One of the few ways that that Blair's Labour improved the country, which the Tories didn't actually try to undo.
 
When I was in London for the first time (in 1977), I was shocked when I went to the cinema, and people were smoking during the movie with smoke billowing up in front of the screen. Back in Denmark, I had never experienced anything like it, although people in those days were also smoking everywhere.
 
Cars had an ashtray for front passengers in the dashboard and one between the seats for the rear and sometimes each passenger had their own ashtray in each door.

Our house had an ashtray in every room including the bathroom.
My dad smoked a whole 20 pack of Senior Service unfiltered navy cut every day.
 
When I was in London for the first time (in 1977), I was shocked when I went to the cinema, and people were smoking during the movie with smoke billowing up in front of the screen. Back in Denmark, I had never experienced anything like it, although people in those days were also smoking everywhere.
I'm old enough to remember (and stupid enough to participate in) smoking on the Tube (the London underground railway).

The Kings Cross fire put a stop to that.
 
I remember someone at the office had a classic Triumph Stag that they loved. You could always tell their bay as it had the matching stains on the wall where the exhausts were


And presumably oil stains on the ground where the engine and gearbox was!
 
And presumably oil stains on the ground where the engine and gearbox was!
As a semiconductor engineer, and chip designer, I felt seen when an American colleague told me that the reason why the UK doesn't have a computer industry is because nobody worked out how to make a PC leak oil.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom