catsmate
No longer the 1
- Joined
- Apr 9, 2007
- Messages
- 37,006
I am totally stealing that for our current AITAS campaign."Quantum mechanic" is a military occupational specialty (MOS) in Forbidden Planet (1956).
I am totally stealing that for our current AITAS campaign."Quantum mechanic" is a military occupational specialty (MOS) in Forbidden Planet (1956).
Clarkson is a tv presenter that spouts obvious ******** for money and professes to be a mechanical idiot.
His Top Gear persona insists that the only tool he can use is a hammer.
More of your usual rubbish.In England, Jeremy Clarkson is revered as an auto expert - he presented a long running television car show called 'Top Gear' - yet he left school (albeit an expensive one) with just one O-level and expelled.
How do you reconcile that with your snobbish claim that John Cadogan "has "a degree" in Mechanical Engineering. My guess is that it's an undergraduate degree"...? Whilst academia is admirable, it's not the be-all and end-all. In my last employment but one, one of the partners was earning £2m a year having left school at fifteen. He was fortunate to have gone into the profession when paper qualifications were not compulsory. I know plenty of well-educated academic types who failed professional exam after professional exam. So your criteria seems to be based on pure snobbery.
So where are your experts?I have a 10-yard certificate in swimming. Yet I do not consider myself an auto expert.
Absolute bollocks. As usual.The testimonials to John Cadogan speak for themselves:
@Highfiber123
5 months ago
As a scientist that has conducted fire analyses for government agencies, I wanted to say that this was a very technically accurate account. Good study, thanks for posting
@davedorney700
6 months ago
I work in a fire testing facility everything he is saying is legit, very good advice
https://youtu.be/zk0MWDsueMY?si=i_--EzO-o6VDqpf2
From my experiences growing up in a household boasting at various times an Austin 1300, an MG Midget and a Wolseley 1300, most of the time the only tool you needed for maintenance was a hammer. Alongside some fuse wire and a creative vocabulary.
I just saw him as entertainment. He commented on Luton Airport car park fire, so I watched it. I haven't watched anything else of his. However, half a million views on that topic indicates huge public interest, and that is a place where people go if there is no information forthcoming from elsewhere, albeit for the obvious reason it is 'under investigation'.
In the case of the Luton Airport car park fire there are many experts and commentators who are sceptical of the initial claims and of the failure to provide concrete information as to the make of the car involved.
Such as?
Hell, even within my field of power semiconductors..
The whole point in bringing up Jeremy Clarkson was to try to show how a self-made person who failed at school can still acquire a reputation for expertise. First, I don't dispute this; I've given several examples on my own of expertise learned in nontraditional ways. Second, it's changing horses to first claim a formal credential as a qualification for your expert and then back away from it when it's shown to be irrelevant.
I guess you didn't spot the general point. Which is that something as generic as a degree in mechanical engineering is no substitute for actual expertise in a technical subject.
Yeah, while I was driving between my data center and my office I was thinking that it would be fair to report Clarkson has having some expertise in the automotive industry and the commensurate skill at driving. And it's difficult to know how much bungling he does for comedic value and how much is genuine.
To be perfectly fair, the degree in Mechanical Engineering was not brought up by Vixen. I brought it up...
My primary experience is in military aircraft avionics...
* * *
Lockheed P3 Orion
...Trebuchet who actually worked in the civil aircraft industry.
Vixen defers to no-one other than random YouTubers, people who post in the comments section of the Daily Mail, and her own self-professed "expertise"!
OK, so we're back to the question I asked here:
Who are these "many experts"?
One thing is for sure, he's better than Vixen at recognizing a slope when he sees one!
OBSCURITY NOTE: Mostly, only English fans of the show will understand this comment
Mea Culpa: Its a bit naughty of me to make this joke - but worth it for lolz
Indeed, you are a very, very naughty boy.
Amazing that you miss the point so wildly in your flailing.
It's probably a bit of a sore point, remember which side Finland was on for most of WWII.
To be fair, Finland was quite carefully only on Finland's side. They were at war with the USSR, but not allied with you-know-who.
Technically co-belligerency..They weren't formally part of the Axis, but they were fighting against the same country at the same time.