• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

“Woke”

Of course you won't get counterexamples of #1. People used 'woke' seriously for like a hot second till realizing they sounded like idiots that can't use words properly. The only people still using it seriously are those championing illiterate speech patterns.

Now 'woke' is largely a slam for people taking social consciousness/ political correctness to what they consider comical extremes. 'Overwoke' was a term I heard bantered, which is probably a better descriptor for such attitudes.

And as with almost any word in the English language, it can be used consistently or not. Mx Gender Neutral Potato Head is laughably overwoke. Meatless options at Cracker Barrel are not, and are a smart idea, for both customers and marketing strategies to health conscious demographics that like Southern style cooking.

FTFY
 
I've been rereading old threads, because that's something I do, and I came across this example of what I was talking about before:

Is Meed here ceding the use of those terms to others? Or are they merely recognising that they are no longer useful in a productive discussion?

Woke is slightly different to "PC" - PC - in modern use of course - was created by the right as a strawman to attack.
 
You think that was a non-pejorative usage? Your reading comprehension fails you.
Does it?

The movie goes to pains to depict Elvis as a man of liberal conscience who is deeply moved by the various political and social crises facing the United States in his lifetime but whose activist inclinations are repeatedly thwarted by the dastardly Parker.
 

Yes - the quote you gave was: "Baz Luhrmann’s biopic scrambles to reassure us with a woke Elvis while failing to understand what really made him the King."

That "woke" is being used as a pejorative aimed at Luhrmann's take on Elvis.
 
Of course you won't get counterexamples of #1. People used 'woke' seriously for like a hot second till realizing they sounded like idiots that can't use words properly. The only people still using it seriously are those championing illiterate speech patterns.

As an insult to AAVE, I'm trying to figure out if this is racist, or just being a snob.


Now 'woke' is largely a slam for people taking social consciousness/ political correctness to comical extremes.

To most conservatives, any attempt to be inclusive is "taking social consciousness/ political correctness to comical extremes"


Mx Gender Neutral Potato Head is laughably overwoke.

The Potato Head toys are not "gender neutral". They just removed "Mr." from the brand name. Of course, like most of these stories, it doesn't fit the narrative of the anti-woke brigade.
 
The Potato Head toys are not "gender neutral". They just removed "Mr." from the brand name. Of course, like most of these stories, it doesn't fit the narrative of the anti-woke brigade.
They said they were dropping the Mr. to promote "gender equality and inclusion". How is that not "fit[ting] the narrative of the anti-woke brigade"?
 
As an insult to AAVE, I'm trying to figure out if this is racist, or just being a snob.

Sorry, I'm having trouble with Google Translate. I speak EASDSVE (European American Surfer Dude SubVenacular English, also known as BrahBonics). Would you mind checking your privelige and being more inclusive to my personal slang and idioms?

To most conservatives, any attempt to be inclusive is "taking social consciousness/ political correctness to comical extremes"

Many do, to be sure. Are you suffering under the common misconception that there are only two possible reference points in American thought? Some of the woke **** is truly comical. Check out the Wiki entry on AAVE, with its cross reference to "Jive Talk", for example.

The Potato Head toys are not "gender neutral". They just removed "Mr." from the brand name. Of course, like most of these stories, it doesn't fit the narrative of the anti-woke brigade.

What shutIt said. They were not exactly subtle about it.

I mean, kudos to inclusiveness. But after a point, it becomes insulting and patronizing to the intended inclusivees.
 
That "woke" is being used as a pejorative aimed at Luhrmann's take on Elvis.
No, "woke" is being used as shorthard for someone having a "liberal conscience who is deeply moved by...various political and social crises" of his time and place in history. This is a perfectly cromulent and politically neutral usage of the term, and not remotely pejorative. It is literally what people mean when they self-identify as woke.
 
Last edited:
No, "woke" is being used as shorthard for someone having a "liberal conscience who is deeply moved by...various political and social crises" of his time and place in history. This is a perfectly cromulent and politically neutral usage of the term, and not remotely pejorative. It is literally what people mean when they self-identify as woke.
I think this is close, but not quite there. One has to have particular beliefs about the nature of, and solutions to, these crises to be woke.
 
No, "woke" is being used as shorthard for someone having a "liberal conscience who is deeply moved by...various political and social crises" of his time and place in history. This is a perfectly cromulent and politically neutral usage of the term, and not remotely pejorative. It is literally what people mean when they self-identify as woke.

I think this is close, but not quite there. One has to have particular beliefs about the nature of, and solutions to, these crises to be woke.

Suppose Elvis is deeply moved by the political and social crises of his time, when activists were largely focused on equal rights for African Americans and women. What more does he require to become woke?
 
There is no such "mastery" - all there is is usage
A wise man once wrote "The master is usage."

Give up usage, give up mastery.

You don't seem to be castigating the American black population for ceding the meaning of the word, why not?
Because it would require a massive amount of eavesdropping to say with any certainty whether African Americans have given up usage of the term (statistically speaking) and if I had access to the unredacted Alexa usage database, I'd be contractually obligated not to leverage that information here.

(An African American colleague recently mocked my wife for being "so woke," in a gibingly friendly way, because my wife was taken aback when hearing "gypped" used in a sentence. I don't know whether this was meant in the progressive sense or the conservative sense, but it did make me laugh.)
 
Last edited:
Woke is slightly different to "PC" - PC - in modern use of course - was created by the right as a strawman to attack.
Well, to some extent the same could be said of "woke". I agree it's not a perfect analogy but it is an illustration of what I was talking about. The modern usage has made it more or less useless for good communication.
 
No, "woke" is being used as shorthard for someone having a "liberal conscience who is deeply moved by...various political and social crises" of his time and place in history. This is a perfectly cromulent and politically neutral usage of the term, and not remotely pejorative. It is literally what people mean when they self-identify as woke.

At least this has helped me understand you a bit better.
 
So woke to use a sexual slur. ("Oh but I used it wokily against people I hate so it's ok," no doubt.)

Twat - at least in the UK - has long passed being an inherently sexual slur. It means an unpleasant person.

ETA:If that is the Kathy Burke I think it is, she was being very restrained in her language!
 
Last edited:
In the early days of social media I looked at "woke" culture almost like the social conscious analogue to "born again" evangelism. I thought they were mostly well-meaning crackpot African Americans hooked on conspiracy theories.

Now it's become a smear against almost any socially conscious act. No doubt this usage is weaponized by some elements of the rightwing who know very well the differences between the wokescolds and normal empathetic people.
 
Does the NYT count?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/...dterm-elections-polling.html?showTranscript=1

(Click the transcript button if it doesn't pop up.)

((Notice that most survey respondents said Democrats are not too woke.))



All three of these sources are using the word as a pejorative; so the answer is "no, no, and no".
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom