• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed The Cuomo Scandal.

In 2013, the former mayor of San Diego, Bob Filner, held out for a while after multiple sexual misconduct allegations before resigning. He negotiated a pretty sweet resignation that included compensation for some legal expenses by the city. The current Vice President also agreed to a pretty sweet plea deal for a brief house arrest and being barred from running for office (only ended up being through the period of probation). It's somewhat disingenuous to say that the Democratic Party actually takes these things seriously beyond public lip service. The consequences often seem to depend on how powerful the chess piece is (this applies to both sides).

The people who matter in New York state politics have come to Andrew Cuomo and said: "you need to resign."

Andrew Cuomo said: "okay, what are you going to do for me?"

I imagine his public statements about refusal to resign are part of establishing his bargaining posture and raising the stakes so he can make bigger demands. He's probably negotiating the favorable terms of his resignation as we speak. Probably also negotiating the terms of investigations, prosecutions, and convictions with sweet plea deals.

Andrew Cuomo said that the accused deserves due process, that resignation is undemocratic, and we shouldn't cave to cancel culture. It'll be interesting if this is the standard from now on (not just when politically convenient). It took, what, 5, 6 accusers to convince top Democratic Party members to sacrifice this powerful chess piece? Al Franken was a weak chess piece in comparison and the party was criticizing the Republicans for Roy Moore as a senate candidate at the time so the calculation was made that Al Franken was an acceptable sacrifice (Andrew Cuomo was supposed to eventually be elected president).

It's also interesting that the governor of New York is imploding at the same time the governor of California is imploding (recall campaign).

I'm not sure Newsom is imploding. So what that Republicans have launched a recall effort? What's new? And where did you come up with such a bizarre theory. You do understand that politics is very different in New York and the comparison to California is nonsense.

Cuomo is in a bad way and he's just trying to weather the storm.
 
I'm not sure Newsom is imploding. So what that Republicans have launched a recall effort? What's new?


https://www.latimes.com/california/...ecall-election-momentum-rises-more-signatures
If the campaign’s results hold steady from last month, when state officials reported that almost 84% of the initial signatures were valid, there would be more than enough certified petitions to trigger an election.


And where did you come up with such a bizarre theory. You do understand that politics is very different in New York and the comparison to California is nonsense.

Cuomo is in a bad way and he's just trying to weather the storm.

Very well.
 
Last edited:
It's interesting that this thread doesn't get much activity. He's had 7 accusers with allegations just from the past couple of years. Unless he only recently started getting inappropriate then there's probably at least hundreds of victims over the years. There's probably also a lot of people that knew and said and did nothing. Has Kamala Harris' silence and Kirsten Gillibrand's reversal of her previous standards harmed #metoo?
 
Last edited:
It's interesting that this thread doesn't get much activity. He's had 7 accusers with allegations just from the past couple of years. Unless he only recently started getting inappropriate then there's probably at least hundreds of victims over the years.
Idle speculation and a figure you just pulled out of thin air. The reason this thread doesn't get 'much' activity is that sensible posters prefer to wait and see what develops rather than go off half-cocked with wild speculations.

There's probably also a lot of people that knew and said and did nothing.
More idle speculation. This is supposed to be a skeptic's forum. When we have some facts we will discuss them.

Has Kamala Harris' silence and Kirsten Gillibrand's reversal of her previous standards harmed #metoo?
Just Asking Questions?

But don't worry, I completely understand where you are coming from. Partisan's gotta do what partisans do...
 
Idle speculation and a figure you just pulled out of thin air. The reason this thread doesn't get 'much' activity is that sensible posters prefer to wait and see what develops rather than go off half-cocked with wild speculations.

More idle speculation. This is supposed to be a skeptic's forum. When we have some facts we will discuss them.

Just Asking Questions?

But don't worry, I completely understand where you are coming from. Partisan's gotta do what partisans do...

Thanks for your feedback.
 
It looks like Cuomo is toast. But I do wonder if it is really is something we should impeach politicians for.
 
It looks like Cuomo is toast. But I do wonder if it is really is something we should impeach politicians for.

You wonder if treating female employees as sex objects or hiring women based entirely on their appearance (just to name two of the charges against him) are good enough reasons to flush a public official? You're welcome to stop wondering anytime.
 
Idle speculation and a figure you just pulled out of thin air. The reason this thread doesn't get 'much' activity is that sensible posters prefer to wait and see what develops rather than go off half-cocked with wild speculations.

More idle speculation. This is supposed to be a skeptic's forum. When we have some facts we will discuss them.

Just Asking Questions?

But don't worry, I completely understand where you are coming from. Partisan's gotta do what partisans do...

I think powerful people owe Andrew Cuomo things, Andrew Cuomo owes powerful people things, powerful people know things about Andrew Cuomo, and Andrew Cuomo knows things about powerful people. Andrew Cuomo also seems to have many enemies even within the local and national Democratic Party. I find it unlikely that his exit will be totally unconditional.

As far as number of victims, the fossils we find aren't the only examples of the organism to ever exist- there were populations of similar organisms. My opinion would be different if the accusations spanned a decade or two but if seven women are making allegations from just the last couple of years, there's probably more during the last couple of years that haven't come forward or aren't willing to and more from his entire lifetime. I wish there were less victims. I would prefer that there were none. I had little knowledge of and no opinion about Andrew Cuomo before March 2020 and I liked his COVID-19 press conferences.

It also seems to me that partisanship is when the transgressions of one side are to be considered with patience, charity, context, nuance, benefit of the doubt, and good faith but the transgressions of the opposing side are to be instantly condemned and exploited for maximum advantage. Have I done that? I feel that my analysis, predictions, and opinions aren't particularly controversial whether you agree with them or not. However, I have no problem admitting that I'm vulnerable to emotion, biases, and errors in thinking because I know I'm flawed and limited. I'm also able to accept the possibility that dismissive, condescending responses or being ignored entirely is all that my comments warrant.

You may or may not be personally guilty of partisanship but many members on this forum certainly are and I doubt you admonish them all consistently. There were posters speculating about Brett Kavanaugh's "real" personality based on his facial expressions and body language. To me that was interesting and perfectly valid analysis and possibly even accurate but does it meet your standards of fact based skepticism?
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure Newsom is imploding. So what that Republicans have launched a recall effort? What's new? And where did you come up with such a bizarre theory. You do understand that politics is very different in New York and the comparison to California is nonsense.

Cuomo is in a bad way and he's just trying to weather the storm.

And Cuomo deserves a lot of the flak he is getting.
 
It looks like Cuomo is toast. But I do wonder if it is really is something we should impeach politicians for.

Would you say that if we were talking about a Conservative Republican?
If you are going to hold poltiicans to a standard of ethical behavior, then it needs to be applied regardless of whether you agree with the individual;s politics or not, otherwise it's just politics as usual.
 
That they have enough signatures for a recall election doesn't mean much other than they rallied enough GOP troops. Not that it will succeed.

I think Newsom's French Laundry stunt was incredibly stupid,but I think he will survive the recall attempt. But I think his status as a national political figure has certainly been damaged by his mistakes.
 
There were posters speculating about Brett Kavanaugh's "real" personality based on his facial expressions and body language. To me that was interesting and perfectly valid analysis and possibly even accurate but does it meet your standards of fact based skepticism?
No, it doesn't. That's the kind of thing that gets people convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

I think powerful people owe Andrew Cuomo things, Andrew Cuomo owes powerful people things, powerful people know things about Andrew Cuomo, and Andrew Cuomo knows things about powerful people.
The reality of politics is that powerful people tend to 'owe' people things, but unless you have actual evidence of something relevant it's nothing but innuendo.

So why are you doing it?
 
If you are going to hold poltiicans to a standard of ethical behavior, then it needs to be applied regardless of whether you agree with the individual;s politics or not
But that's not what happens in practice. We let Republicans away with much more because we expect them to be unethical, and only when it goes well beyond the pale do we push for something to be done (if even then). It's a different story for Democrats. The slightest whiff of impropriety and they're toast!
 
No, it doesn't. That's the kind of thing that gets people convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

Would you admonish them like you're admonishing me? (Again, I think those Brett Kavanaugh comments were fine) For what it's worth, your continued admonishment of me is of no consequence to me and I'll continue to post what and when it amuses me until I'm suspended or banned.

The reality of politics is that powerful people tend to 'owe' people things, but unless you have actual evidence of something relevant it's nothing but innuendo.

So why are you doing it?

I make extensive use of qualifiers to make it clear that my comments are opinions. To some degree, my intent is to record a prediction that can be examined for accuracy in the future. Moreover, my analysis isn't based on what I want to be true or what I prefer to be true but what I think is pragmatically true (with the assumption that all politics is cynical and amoral). Your posting style seems much more assertive and to present yourself as authoritative. My posting style is unlikely to change so feel free to dismiss me entirely or whatever.
 
Last edited:
But that's not what happens in practice. We let Republicans away with much more because we expect them to be unethical, and only when it goes well beyond the pale do we push for something to be done (if even then). It's a different story for Democrats. The slightest whiff of impropriety and they're toast!

Investigative journalists often seem to aggressively scrutinize Republicans at the earliest opportunity. This might have the effect of reducing the impact of a transgression or controversy because it's caught relatively early.

There didn't seem to be very much curiousity among investigative journalists about Andrew Cuomo's nursing home issue or inappropriate behavior until fairly recently. He was being groomed for the Presidency instead and his self-congratulatory book was promoted. I'll bet if investigative journalists had aggressively scrutinized the nursing home issue when there were the first inklings of reporting discrepancies Andrew Cuomo wouldn't even be in trouble for it now. The numbers would have been corrected and it could be chalked up to being a mistake amid the uncertainty and disarray of the initial stages of the pandemic reponse. Andrew Cuomo needed to be able to market and sell a self-congratulatory book, though. The snowball rolled and rolled and rolled and the nursing home issue was exposed after it became an avalanche.
 
Last edited:
Investigative journalists often seem to aggressively scrutinize Republicans at the earliest opportunity. This might have the effect of reducing the impact of a transgression or controversy because it's caught relatively early.

There didn't seem to be very much curiousity among investigative journalists about Andrew Cuomo's nursing home issue or inappropriate behavior until fairly recently. He was being groomed for the Presidency instead and his self-congratulatory book was promoted. I'll bet if investigative journalists had aggressively scrutinized the nursing home issue when there were the first inklings of reporting discrepancies Andrew Cuomo wouldn't even be in trouble for it now. The numbers would have been corrected and it could be chalked up to being a mistake amid the uncertainty and disarray of the initial stages of the pandemic reponse. Andrew Cuomo needed to right a self-congratulatory book, though. The snowball rolled and rolled and rolled and the nursing home issue was exposed after it became an avalanche.


Nice theory, but that is all it is. Cuomo wasn't being groomed for the Presidency. But anyone who is the Governor of New York is likely to have a high profile and thought of as a potential Presidential candidate. It's like you don't know anything about his bio.

He's the son of the former Governor of New York, he was married to a Kennedy, since divorced, his brother is a CNN anchorman. Does he have contacts in the media and has cajoled or persuaded them not to go after him? Possibly.

Note that the press went after Al Franken (A Democrat) like rabid dogs despite every story being generally benign.
 
Last edited:
Nice theory, but that is all it is. Cuomo wasn't being groomed for the Presidency. But anyone who is the Governor of New York is likely to have a high profile and thought of as a potential Presidential candidate. It's like you don't know anything about his bio.

I'm aware. Cuomo/Newsom 2028.

He's the sun of the former Governor of New York, he was married to a Kennedy, since divorced, his brother is a CNN anchorman. Does he have contacts in the media and has cajoled or persuaded them not to go after him? Possibly.

I didn't know he was a celestial body, however.

Note that the press went after Al Franken (A Democrat) like rabid dogs despite every story being generally benign.

I think the curiousity and attention of the media somewhat coincided with the political winds. There were several prominent Democrats condemning him. Also a pawn sacrifice.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom