• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The all-new "US Politics and coronavirus" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, people might lose weight. As a people, we're overweight because we eat too much anyway. I'm including myself in this.
I figured people would gain weight.

Yes, meat might become harder to obtain, but cheap calories (from snack foods like chips) will remain plentiful. And with the self-isolation, people will both be less active (even small activities like walking around your office aren't happening) coupled with easy access to junk food at home.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
 
Gov. Brian Kemp’s office issued an apology after a Georgia Public Health Department chart wrongly reported a downward trend in coronavirus cases for the third time in as many weeks.
 
There's no evidence they'd be successful at conning people without their father's help. He's never seen to it they learned to be independent, apparently.

It looks so far as if Trump's spawn are mere dingleberries, but I don't know what they'd be like once he's gone. It's possible they're currently doing merely what's necessary to survive a toxic father, and they might improve when on their own. There's no particular reason to think so, but it's possible.
 
We're probably going to get to 120,000 deaths in less time than six months. Below is a chart from Worldometer. It shows the U.S had just over 80,000 deaths since March 31st. That's forty-four days. At the current rate we'll pass 100,000 next week sometime.
On May 14th, last Thursday, I wrote that based on the numbers, we'll probably pass 100,000 deaths by the end of next week, the week ending May 23rd. Sadly, I still think we will get there. My reason in posting this was, of course, illustrating the concern that Dr. Anthony Fauci and other public health officials have that the epidemic is not yet under control and it's dangerous to pretend or proceed as though it is. Below is a news report from The Guardian on how trump is marginalizing public health officials as he, trump, tries to spin this. I'm certain trump is under enormous pressure to reopen the economy and it appears to me he is beginning to cave.

After disappearing for more than a week, Donald Trump’s top health officials tasked with combatting the US’s worsening coronavirus outbreak appeared with the president during a White House press conference on Friday. Drs Deborah Birx and Anthony Fauci, two of the nation’s top infectious disease experts, stood behind Trump as he and members of the White House coronavirus taskforce, including the defense secretary, Mark Esper, and health and human services secretary, Alex Azar, provided updates on vaccine development. The doctors were two of only a few participants to wear masks. They did not speak. Link
 

Attachments

  • donnie knows all.jpg
    donnie knows all.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 7
On May 14th, last Thursday, I wrote that based on the numbers, we'll probably pass 100,000 deaths by the end of next week, the week ending May 23rd. Sadly, I still think we will get there. My reason in posting this was, of course, illustrating the concern that Dr. Anthony Fauci and other public health officials have that the epidemic is not yet under control and it's dangerous to pretend or proceed as though it is. Below is a news report from The Guardian on how trump is marginalizing public health officials as he, trump, tries to spin this. I'm certain trump is under enormous pressure to reopen the economy and it appears to me he is beginning to cave.

We're a bit past that point. He's quickly approaching the bottom of the cave at terminal velocity.

I'm only nitpicking as a vehicle for therapeutic angst, mind you.
 
Sorry, er, being unemployed for a year would be literally fatal to you???

The problem though, is they don't see themselves dying. But they do see not having money to pay the rent/mortgage and the grocery bill.
 
OAN is worst in that it is far more biased and has less integrity (if that is possible). However, it does not have the viewer base that fox has.

Without the fox talking heads, trump would be in big trouble (regardless of the mutual love affair between trump and OAN)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I was talking more about the concept of influencing government policy, but your point is taken.
 
Why are we suprised by this?

A loud section of the American people have been convinced that the existence of government is actually evil. Remember "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"?

Add into that the perversion, in some quarters, of what was a rugged American individualism and can-do attitude into an "I'm alright Jack, **** you" attitdue that's encouraged everyone to believe that what they want is the most important thing all the time and this sort of thing was going to happen whoever was president.

Seriously, if you think they're mad now, imagine how mad they'd be if it was Hillary who'd locked them up?

Unlike Trump, HRC understands how the Constitution works and that she doesn't have the "absolute authority" to do whatever she wants and tell the governors what to do. It's not Trump who mandated the lock downs but the governors of each state. And I think she would have made that clear unlike Trump.

Part of me can't help but think that HRC is watching this cluster---- and engaging in a little schadenfreude.
 
When the U.S. became the nation with the MOST confirmed cases of coronavirus Clinton tweeted something like, "Well president trump assured us the United States would be always number one under his leadership." She was criticized for that comment as being in very poor taste and she took it down.

But she's always struck me as a pretty sincere person so I'd bet she probably deeply regrets, at a time like this, having lost to this whackjob. Lost in the electoral college, that is. She won the popular election by close to three million votes. :(
 

Why does Eric seem hell bent on proving that SNL's portrayal of him isn't so far fetched?

Beyond the obviously stupid statement that the virus will just go away on Nov. 4th, is his remark that Biden can't draw as large a crowd as his father.

(I have to laugh at his always saying "Donald Trump" and never "my father")

Ummm....Eric, baby...Biden hasn't been able to hold a rally as the nominee yet. There's this thing called Covid 19. Ask daddy about it. Better yet, don't. He doesn't know jack crap about it, either.

Besides, Dems haven't turned Biden into some cult figure who draws people like flies to crap.
 
Which reinforces my opinion that Trump is not the most powerful person in the world, Hannity is. Along with other blowhards like Tucker Carlson, Limbaugh, et al. Because they are the people that Trump actually listens to, agrees with, and follows their suggestions.

The Triumvirate of Evil.
 
I know I'm sitting around feeling guilty that I wasn't more enthusiastic for Clinton. I voted for her, without hesitation, but like so many people, I really didn't take Trump seriously. It wasn't until the weekend before the election that I even began to doubt, and the morning of the election when I started to feel nervous, and probably 8:00 or 8:30 on election night before I thought his victory was a serious possibility.

Had I thought it an actual possibility that Donald Trump would be in office, I probably would have worked for Hilary, and certainly not complained that she was "tone deaf" or was somehow a mediocre candidate.

And even after it became obvious that he would win, I figured it really wasn't all that big of a deal, but this situation is exactly the sort of situation that The Donald is least fit for. To whatever extent I I made my own tiny contribution to his victory, I definitely regret it.
 
Last edited:
I figured people would gain weight.

Yes, meat might become harder to obtain, but cheap calories (from snack foods like chips) will remain plentiful. And with the self-isolation, people will both be less active (even small activities like walking around your office aren't happening) coupled with easy access to junk food at home.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I agree. Cheap foods bought in bulk like rice and potatoes are staples in low income families. And obesity is higher in that group. Healthier food is more expensive and less available in poor areas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom