• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The all-new "US Politics and coronavirus" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I heard on today's news (Saturday) that the number was already over 100K.

We also have to remember that, unlike what Trump is saying, the number of actual deaths from the Coronavirus are far more likely to be under reported than over reported. Not everyone who died from complications of the virus were tested for it.
 
I thought I heard on today's news (Saturday) that the number was already over 100K.

The "official" number, i.e. the number reported by various agencies responsible for collecting the data, stands at slightly over 90,000 right now. There have been a couple of news stories recently giving reason to believe the official number may be lower than the real number.
 
What we are seeing here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/coronavirus-death-toll-right-denies-figures

Especially apt is the closing paragraph:
A separate study, published at the end of April, revealed the stark consequences of prominent figures underplaying the impact of Covid-19. A group of researchers tracked the spread of coronavirus among viewers of Sean Hannity’s Fox News show, after Hannity spent weeks downplaying the threat.

“Greater exposure to Hannity,” the researchers wrote, “leads to a greater number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.”
 
Yep. Your dead mama don't count as long as my mama is OK.


Why are we suprised by this?

A loud section of the American people have been convinced that the existence of government is actually evil. Remember "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"?

Add into that the perversion, in some quarters, of what was a rugged American individualism and can-do attitude into an "I'm alright Jack, **** you" attitdue that's encouraged everyone to believe that what they want is the most important thing all the time and this sort of thing was going to happen whoever was president.

Seriously, if you think they're mad now, imagine how mad they'd be if it was Hillary who'd locked them up?
 
There's a lot of people that cannot stand being unemployed for a year or two.

When they began to shut everything down it definitely occurred to me that not only the disease might kill me, the cure could too.

Sorry, er, being unemployed for a year would be literally fatal to you???
 
I wonder if the GOP and Fox News have really thought through their strategy of deliberately killing off their supporters?
 
Just wondering, how bad does the economy have to be for it to cause more than 1000 deaths a day for an extended period, comparable to the pandemic.
 
Last edited:
Yes with Saturday's numbers entered, we're over 90,000. Link
 

Attachments

  • Total died chart US 05162020.jpg
    Total died chart US 05162020.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Sorry, er, being unemployed for a year would be literally fatal to you???
What do you expect happens when your country ties livelihood to employment, and that employment goes away?

Yes with Saturday's numbers entered, we're over 90,000. Link
-Vageta-dragon-ball-z-35772671-496-278.gif
 
Last edited:
It's called food. I need it to live.

As I said above:

They could with the right government assistance. But I know that the US has a real issue when it comes to welfare.

Or, at least, when that welfare is aimed at poor people, rather than big businesses and farmers.

It's not a law of the universe, it's a choice by the government and society.

Spain has implemented universal basic income. That's a different choice.
 
It's not a law of the universe, it's a choice by the government and society.

Spain has implemented universal basic income. That's a different choice.

We live in a capitalist society here in America and that's not changing on a timeframe worth discussing.

I don't care how poor people would fair in some alternative timeline. Right now they need jobs to survive.
 
We live in a capitalist society here in America and that's not changing on a timeframe worth discussing.

Capitalist societies also have welfare. And benefits of other kinds, including universal basic income.

I don't care how poor people would fair in some alternative timeline. Right now they need jobs to survive.

No, they need an income to live.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom