• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: 2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker Part IV

Are there still Bloomberg commercials running? I'm still getting stuff in the mail, I thought they'd trickle off over time.

Around here, they finally ran out.

Now it's Bernie over and over and he only has 2 versions.

I have not seen a Biden TV ad recently.
 
I have a feeling many voters, esp young voters have no idea how primaries work or won't bother with them and are just prepared to vote in the general election "no matter who".
 
are just prepared to vote in the general election "no matter who".

Well, that also describes me now that Warren's out! Primary here is on Tuesday. Last week I was looking forward to it. Now I'm not sure I need bother.
 
If only Warren could be VP candidate with Sanders. Would flip his age from a negative to a positive.
 
We see it here on this board all the time. How many times have various certain someones argued either in the subtext or the outright text that Trump breaking the government is either a good thing or a just punishment on us becoming too dependant on government to do things?

If I may interject, I just find that philosophy to be utterly ridiculous. Government is fundamental to the human experience. There hasn't been a group of humans without a leader. Governments essentially form spontaneously in human societies. The idea that government is bad is as stupid as the idea that money is bad.
 
If I may interject, I just find that philosophy to be utterly ridiculous. Government is fundamental to the human experience. There hasn't been a group of humans without a leader. Governments essentially form spontaneously in human societies. The idea that government is bad is as stupid as the idea that money is bad.

Oh as do I. But beyond that I also find it massively disingenuous, as in I don't for a goddamn second even entertain that they possibly believe it either. To the point that it is insulting, one of those "Wow you don't even have the common decency to tell me a lie I might actually believe" kind of things.
 
If I may interject, I just find that philosophy to be utterly ridiculous. Government is fundamental to the human experience. There hasn't been a group of humans without a leader. Governments essentially form spontaneously in human societies. The idea that government is bad is as stupid as the idea that money is bad.

The better argument is that the US government as constructed really doesn't work that well.

The system as exists on the Federal and State level is so concerned with avoiding the tyranny of the majority that it enables the tyranny of the minority. No matter how bad the injustice and harmfulness of the status quo we are more comfortable with protecting the interests of minority of people that object to change, and somehow we use this fear of mob rule to paint this betrayal as a matter of principle.


American history is just example after example of workarounds created because the legislative and amendment process is mostly useless as an engine of reform. We wind up now with executives assuming broader and broader powers and a judiciary that does same and who is realistically the only check on that executive.

This was bad enough when the executive was at least competent and the judiciary at least trying to be apolitical. Those conditions are gone now, and the bill for our gridlock fetish is coming due. We've been there before. The first ended in a war and the second when the depression gave FDR enough clout to bring the court to heel. We had a nice half-century of a non-malignant judiciary and at least a vague consensus in Congress, but that was the exception and not the norm. We are back to business as usual.

Electing a president might mitigate this crisis, but even with the senate the judiciary is unlikely to be fixed within a generation, especially if a lame duck president and senate spend the last final months filling every vacancy and creating new spots on the bench to fill.
 
One of Sanders' few lifelines left is an endorsement from Warren.

I don't know how much weight that has though.

Mmm. It would have weight with me, for what it's worth. Bernie and Biden are roughly at a tie for me, given their (mostly) very different and pronounced pros and especially their cons, so I'm not currently intending to vote for either. I would arbitrarily vote for one of them if Tulsi had any chance, but she doesn't. Thus, a Warren endorsement would tip the scales for me.
 
https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/status/1237474687279661056

Is there context I'm missing? Because it looks like when asked about an argument he got into with a Michigan auto worker over guns that he responded with "I'm surprised that Sanders is joining Trump".

Uhhh what? :confused:
Listen carefully to the audio.
The question is prefaced by a statement that both Trump and Sanders are calling him (Biden) out for his confrontation.
IOW "Sanders is joining Trump" in calling out Jou for swearing at an American.

More simply put; yes, you are missing context. But I had to listen five times to hear it myself, so not really an obvious spot.
 
Listen carefully to the audio.
The question is prefaced by a statement that both Trump and Sanders are calling him (Biden) out for his confrontation.
IOW "Sanders is joining Trump" in calling out Jou for swearing at an American.

More simply put; yes, you are missing context. But I had to listen five times to hear it myself, so not really an obvious spot.

After reading your explanation I listened a couple more times and was able to catch it too. Thanks!
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom