• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: 2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker Part IV

When you are hanged, drawn, and quartered, the hanging doesn't actually kill you. It isn't the neck breaking style of hanging. The lift you in the air by your neck, but before you die, they bring you down for the drawing and the quartering.


But the corpse is really very, very, not pretty, even worse than the scenario you described.

Jolly old lot those English were.

From what I've read that's mostly myth and misconception. "Drawing" refers to the method of being taken to the place of execution, it's nothing to do with disembowelling. Disembowelling, if it occurred at all, happened after death, as did quartering which was just chopping up the body...if that ever happened either. Being nasty to the corpse (and later donating the cadaver to medical schools) was an extra revenge on the criminal, but after the execution. The less picturesque reality is that most executions were plain old hanging, or in the case of treason or exceptional cases, beheading. Legends of the Mel Gibson torture fetish style of execution abound, stories told well after the events they purport to describe, but evidence of them actually occuring in that fashion isn't that great.
 
Wednesday morning can not arrive soon enough. Every other commercial is now ether Biden or Bernie bashing each other, with the random exception of a Warren ad that must have been paid for some time in the past with a 'no refund/no return' stamp on it. :boggled:
 
Every commercial break now is:

Bernie: "No Obama loves me more!"
Biden: "No Obama loves me more!"

Ladies... you're both pretty.
 
I know this will be deeply shocking, but I doubt the accuracy of encyclopedias. I don't find the primary sources on this matter to be convincing. YMMD, of course.

I tried unsuccessfully to find the death warrant I once read from the middle ages which specified exactly how some Irish traitor or another was to be disposed of. However, this is a bit of a digression from the primary topic of the thread, so I will speak of it no more.
 
Are there still Bloomberg commercials running? I'm still getting stuff in the mail, I thought they'd trickle off over time.
 
What would happen if we judged Trump by the same standard that you are apparently applying to Franken? Drawn and quartered and hanged on the White House lawn?

I'm asking, is this the standard we're applying to Franken?

If I judged Trump by the same standard by which I judged Franken, Trump would be in office right now, and Franken would have submitted to the recommendation of a Senate ethics review instead of bowing to party pressure and stepping down immediately.

If you're judging Franken and Trump by the same standard I am, I think you'd reach the same conclusion.

If you're judging them by a different standard from me, what's the standard? What should happen to each of those men?
 
Are there still Bloomberg commercials running? I'm still getting stuff in the mail, I thought they'd trickle off over time.


I guess that's proof of the trickle-down effect! (He probably paid for the whole month of March.)
 
Disembowelling, if it occurred at all, happened after death, as did quartering which was just chopping up the body...if that ever happened either.


It did around here - at least as late as 1772:

In 1772 Struensee was arrested and condemned to death for lese-majeste, and together with his friend, Count Enevold Brandt, he was beheaded. His body was quartered and put on the wheel and spear. Most of his reforms were nullified after the execution.
Johann Friedrich Struensee[/i] (kongernessamling.dk)
 
Of course he can. He has claimed other things just as outrageous.

Everybody loves a winner. Trump actually won the presidency. The presidency is probably the biggest thing you could possibly win, short of a nuclear war. Therefore Obama loves Trump more than either of the other guys.
 
Everybody loves a winner. Trump actually won the presidency. The presidency is probably the biggest thing you could possibly win, short of a nuclear war. Therefore Obama loves Trump more than either of the other guys.


Reminds me of

God is Love
Love is Blind
Ray Charles is Blind
Therefore, Ray Charles is God
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom