• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Trump Presidency: Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know what the rally was for. I think what Trump was trying to get across, and I might be very wrong, is that there were non-Nazis at the rally. I guess he thinks, or claims to think, that there were people there who were just protesting the statue removal thingy.

You'd think with how long ago the Charlotesville situation was that some of those non-racist, just there for the statue protesters would have come out and made themselves known. After a few google searches I can't really seem to find people that were A) in attendance B) Supporting the statues and C) against racism. I haven't actually seen any articles or breakdowns where people have claimed all 3 of those things. The ones that were A and C were not B. The ones that were A and B were not C, and I couldn't find anything where they were B and C without A.

I'm open to having my mind changed if someone can provide a link.
 
You'd think with how long ago the Charlotesville situation was that some of those non-racist, just there for the statue protesters would have come out and made themselves known. After a few google searches I can't really seem to find people that were A) in attendance B) Supporting the statues and C) against racism. I haven't actually seen any articles or breakdowns where people have claimed all 3 of those things. The ones that were A and C were not B. The ones that were A and B were not C, and I couldn't find anything where they were B and C without A.

I'm open to having my mind changed if someone can provide a link.

I have no idea how such information would even be available.
 
Re: the possibility of non-racists at the Charotsville rally
You'd think with how long ago the Charlotesville situation was that some of those non-racist, just there for the statue protesters would have come out and made themselves known.
I do remember seeing a clip from one of the news satire shows (I think it was Last Week Tonight with John Oliver), where they talked about one of the protesters who made that sort of claim. (That he wasn't racist, that he was "just there to see what it was about".)

Then they showed a picture of him at the rally, carrying a torch and looking quite... enthusiastic. Not exactly how you would expect someone to look if they were really non-committal.

Of course, you also have the issue that the protests against the statue removal involved people waving nazi flags and chanting anti-jewish slogans. Again, a rational person would remove themselves from the situation the moment they saw any of that, regardless of what they thought of the statues.

(And again, it should be noted that the statues themselves were symbols of racism, so wanting to keep those statues around already puts someone on the wrong side of morality, regardless of whether they feel comfortable with the whole 'neo-nazi' label.)
 
I have no idea how such information would even be available.

Interviews of people in attendance, or observing the event. People that showed up because they thought it was about the statues but then saw the Nazi flags. There are several ways that the information could be made available now-a-days. Especially considering the POTUS made this comment. You'd think people characterized as you stated, there in support of the statues but totally not racist, would immediately jump up saying, "I was there for the statues and not racist!"
 
Interviews of people in attendance, or observing the event. People that showed up because they thought it was about the statues but then saw the Nazi flags. There are several ways that the information could be made available now-a-days. Especially considering the POTUS made this comment. You'd think people characterized as you stated, there in support of the statues but totally not racist, would immediately jump up saying, "I was there for the statues and not racist!"

On the other hand, a lot of people claimed to be simply against the removal of statues, when there was quite a bit of racism involved in their involvment, so I'm not sure it would help much.
 
Leaving something alone that is about to fall off a cliff isn't exactly the same thing as saving it.

Save it, in the Ben Tre sense.




He's going to protect Social Security and Medicare ... until after the election.

Err... IIRC, every one of his proposed budgets has involved slashing Social Security and Medicare funding. Further, his administration has been working constantly to chip away at who qualifies to receive said benefits.

Of tangential relevance, some very rich libertarians have been spending a lot of money for a long time to attack Social Security and promote the fatalistic view that Social Security is doomed and can't be relied upon. The more people actually think that, after all, the less push back there is as they push for cuts and eventually the removal of the program.

I have no idea what Trump is thinking.

He was using standard white supremacist spin strategy.

To poke at it further, though, I do think it's worth noting that the very fine people claim is potentially least half-true. People are complex, after all. That one is a racist who thinks that Jews should be exterminated doesn't mean that they're not also a person who dedicates huge amounts of times to helping their neighbors and community, potentially even saving many lives, for example. I quite doubt that most of those in Charlestown even remotely reached that level, but I would be unsurprised if some did. With that said, "good" people can do bad things, regardless, and that they're good people otherwise isn't much of a defense for their bad actions.
 
Trump is building his wall. The Democrats' open borders solution to the opioid crisis isn't working.


Virtually all heroin, coke and meth enter the US through Ports of Entry, concealed in vehicles. Marijuana, because of its bulk, is difficult to conceal in trucks and is therefore the only drug that is muled across the border in between Ports of Entry.
 
Virtually all heroin, coke and meth enter the US through Ports of Entry, concealed in vehicles. Marijuana, because of its bulk, is difficult to conceal in trucks and is therefore the only drug that is muled across the border in between Ports of Entry.

As a sidenote to this, as a guy that lives in North Dakota I have some really bad news about stopping marijuana from coming over the Southern border...

That's not to mention that there are enough states popping up with legalization to make getting weed extremely easy to do. Even easier than before.
 
The budget they submitted for next year cuts social security by $25 bil.

Then again, we're at the tail end of boomers, so they can start the total phase out now. Because as long as the boomers get their social security, it doesn't matter what happens for anyone else.

No, we're not at the tail end. We're only half way through the boomers. Boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. The last boomers won't turn 65 until 2029.

Maybe Social Security wouldn't need to be cut if the gov't didn't spend money on such nonsense as building a useless wall and paying for certain golf trips every freaking weekend.
 
Trump Tweets

The Do Nothing Democrats just keep repeating and repeating, over and over again, the same old “stuff” on the Impeachment Hoax. They want to use up ALL of their time, even though it is the wrong thing to do. They ought to go back to work for our great American people!
 
Trump Tweets

The Do Nothing Democrats just keep repeating and repeating, over and over again, the same old “stuff” on the Impeachment Hoax. They want to use up ALL of their time, even though it is the wrong thing to do. They ought to go back to work for our great American people!

That is rich coming from the man (and I use the term loosely) who spends hours daily in "executive" time and spent 1 of every 5 days in 2019 on a golf course.
 

Attachments

  • spaceforce.jpg
    spaceforce.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 149
ETA: sixth branch? It says right on the logo "Department of the Air Force."
Good catch. Hope they're trolling Trump.

I wonder if a Space Force could have any role in increasing cyber security which Trump seems determined to gut. Probably not, but maybe the Pentagon would have some measure of jurisdiction regarding satellite communications aimed at undermining U.S. security.
 
For those who don't want to go to Trump's twitter feed... here is a copy.

Most of the comments appear to be pointing out its resemblance to the Star Trek Star Fleet emblem.

That was my first thought: They so swiped that from the Federation Star Fleet logo.
 
Trump tweets:

After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1220821545746141187?s=19

Tweet contains logo.

Oye vey...

ETA: sixth branch? It says right on the logo "Department of the Air Force."

The Marines are considered a separate branch of the Military from the Navy, but the Marines are in the Department Of The Navy.
 
Good catch. Hope they're trolling Trump.

I wonder if a Space Force could have any role in increasing cyber security which Trump seems determined to gut. Probably not, but maybe the Pentagon would have some measure of jurisdiction regarding satellite communications aimed at undermining U.S. security.

I hate Trump, but the Space Force being in the Dept. of the Air Force yet still a separate branch is no different then the Marines Coprs being in the Department of the Navy yet considered a separate branch of the Service from the Navy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom