• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Brexit: Now What? 9 Below Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Juncker who said "no more extensions", and no...he doesn't actually have a say.
 
In parochial Brexit news, the Welsh First Minister says that Wales would be worse off under the proposed Brexit deal:

A new Brexit deal agreed between UK and EU negotiators would create new trade barriers which would "make Wales poorer", the first minister has said.

The agreement needs the backing of European leaders and both the UK and European parliaments.

First Minister Mark Drakeford warned the deal "does nothing to protect Welsh interests, let alone safeguard our economy and jobs".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50083216

Then again, almost any part of the UK would be worse off under any kind of Brexit.
 
Nigel Farage Tweeted

@Nigel_Farage
So an unelected, retiring bureaucrat says: No extension, take this new treaty or just leave.
He is overriding the Benn Act. The EU shows itself to be a thuggocracy - power without accountability.
Appalling people.
 
Farage for the last 20 years: "we must leave the EU"
Farage today: "how dare Juncker throw us out of the EU"

How is Juncker bound by the Benn act anyway?

Farage doesnt want brexit because once that happens, he becomes irrelevant.
 
Last edited:
Nigel Farage Tweeted

@Nigel_Farage
So an unelected, retiring bureaucrat says: No extension, take this new treaty or just leave.
He is overriding the Benn Act. The EU shows itself to be a thuggocracy - power without accountability.
Appalling people.

I find anything that issues from Nigel Farrage is best dealt with using Andrex or another quality paper and a disinfectant spray. Then remember to wash your hands with soap and hot water (using the good seperate non mixed British bathroom taps that Europe hasn't banned).
 
It seems to be the original backstop from which Northern Ireland (and not UK) can opt to secede from.



It seems acceptable to me. If the Northern Irish are foolish enough to follow the UK into the abyss the EU shouldn't hold them back.



McHrozni
The "northern Irish" are "the UK".....
 
Do you have a citation for this?
At their conference. I'll see if I can find a report with her words in it.

Eta: Sturgeon to request fresh independence referendum 'within weeks'

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...cottish-independence-referendum-within-weeks?

But I would say this to Jeremy Corbyn, or any Westminster leader who is looking to the SNP for support, if you don’t accept Scotland’s right to choose at our choosing – don’t even bother picking up the phone to me.”
 
Last edited:
From the Guardian comments:

“So he has taken May's deal and removed the lipstick. So now it is just a pig.”
 
At their conference. I'll see if I can find a report with her words in it.

Eta: Sturgeon to request fresh independence referendum 'within weeks'

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...cottish-independence-referendum-within-weeks?

But I would say this to Jeremy Corbyn, or any Westminster leader who is looking to the SNP for support, if you don’t accept Scotland’s right to choose at our choosing – don’t even bother picking up the phone to me.”

In the sentence before the one you quoted, she says that she would support an alliance, so this isn't exactly evidence that she would scupper a GNU.

As for the independence referendum itself, it's no surprise. The SNP has been saying that for ages. When the first referendum happened, it was contingent on the UK remaining in the EU. The last 3 years change that quite considerably.

I've got some Scottish blood, going back a little ways. I wonder if I could apply for citizenship and stay in the EU that way?
 
I may be misunderstanding it but I think it replaces the backstop with (ironically) one of the reasons people were against the backstop for fear it would lead to ie a border between the UK and NI. Of course they don't phrase it as such and magically it will now be a 'great deal' which, if passed, will get Boris re-elected with a comfortable majority. the rest of May's previously 'dreadful' deal remains more or less intact.

Unbelieveable.

NB I'm hoping I've misunderstood all this

Based on what our papers write here, it seems like you got it right.
 
Right on cue, along comes mountebanke extraordinaire, Ian Blackford SNP:

I can confirm the SNP have tabled an amendment to Boris Johnson's appalling #Brexit deal, demanding an immediate extension and general election.

We can't leave power with this Tory government any longer, it's time for Labour & other opposition parties to stop dithering and act.
https://twitter.com/IanBlackfordMP/status/1184907755511005186?s=20

Kier Starmer's been popping few blood vessels, too, with a nine-part tweet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom