• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Brexit: Now What? 9 Below Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the SNP has advertised that all it is interested in is using its support of a no deal, deal or 2nd referendum (they aren't concerned which) to force another Scottish referendum I think we can forget about the silliness of "government of national unity". Boris just needs to offer the SNP a legally binding 2nd indy referendum and his work is done and we are leaving as is the clear legal position on Halloween.
 
Boris just needs to offer the SNP a legally binding 2nd indy referendum and his work is done and we are leaving as is the clear legal position on Halloween.

And be remembered as the Conservative Prime Minister who broke up the Union? I think he'd rather be dead in a ditch.

...oh.

Dave
 
It differs from the 'backstop' in that the NI assembly gets to vote on it every four years:

I suppose it avoids breaching the GFA..?

It seems to be the original backstop from which Northern Ireland (and not UK) can opt to secede from.

It seems acceptable to me. If the Northern Irish are foolish enough to follow the UK into the abyss the EU shouldn't hold them back.

McHrozni
 
I'm actually OK with this deal being approved by Parliament as long as it has to be put back to a confirmatory referendum before it's implemented. At least the people will know exactly what they're voting for, instead of voting for a pig in a poke like they did in 2016.

Why? Why isn't the election of the MPs to Shepard this a sufficient solution?
 
What is the difference between the Backstop and this new proposal?

I may be misunderstanding it but I think it replaces the backstop with (ironically) one of the reasons people were against the backstop for fear it would lead to ie a border between the UK and NI. Of course they don't phrase it as such and magically it will now be a 'great deal' which, if passed, will get Boris re-elected with a comfortable majority. the rest of May's previously 'dreadful' deal remains more or less intact.

Unbelieveable.

NB I'm hoping I've misunderstood all this
 
I bet Boris now wishes he hadn't sacked 21 Tory MP's. Nigel Dodds will be looking more hang dog than normal and Arlene Foster more grumpy than her doppelganger, Paul Merson.

Arlene Foster and Paul Merson? I'm not seeing the resemblance, I'm afraid.

If she looks like anyone, it's probably comedian Paul Merton.
 
Now the SNP has advertised that all it is interested in is using its support of a no deal, deal or 2nd referendum (they aren't concerned which) to force another Scottish referendum I think we can forget about the silliness of "government of national unity".

Do you have a citation for this?
 
So remainers won't be happy because it's leaving, no deal supporters won't be happy because they'll see it as BRINO, and leave with a deal people are going to see that it isn't the much better deal they were promised, it's worse than what we currently have. So much winning.
 
I see the latest Ladbrokes odds here

Article 50 Extended And UK Remains In EU After Oct 31
1/5
UK to leave EU with Deal
5/1
UK to leave EU with No Deal
7/1
UK to Revoke Article 50
50/1

What will happen first?
UK general election
4/6
UK to leave EU
7/4
Another UK EU referendum
7/1

Brexit Specials
Another UK EU Referendum before end 2020
6/4
UK to vote to REMAIN in EU before end 2020
4/1
Another UK EU Referendum before end 2019
25/1

When constructing decision making trees or calculating odds, people always seem to forget there is always further outcome, which is:




















...






...do nothing.
 
Well, all this sound and fury for an outcome that is actually somewhat worse than May's deal (from an arch-Brexiter point of view). Will be interesting to see the vote, I suppose this will squeak through?
 
Hard to tell the likelihood of it passing Parliament without the text, but I can't see many Labour MPs going for it.
 
Presumably Barnier's comments about no further delay being possible aren't worth the paper they aren't even written on? Even so, I wonder what Boris has photos of him doing.

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom