It's Juncker who said "no more extensions",
and no...he doesn't actually have a say.
A new Brexit deal agreed between UK and EU negotiators would create new trade barriers which would "make Wales poorer", the first minister has said.
The agreement needs the backing of European leaders and both the UK and European parliaments.
First Minister Mark Drakeford warned the deal "does nothing to protect Welsh interests, let alone safeguard our economy and jobs".
In parochial Brexit news, the Welsh First Minister says that Wales would be worse off under the proposed Brexit deal:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50083216
Then again, almost any part of the UK would be worse off under any kind of Brexit.
You know what was really good at safeguarding the Welsh economy...?
You know what was really good at safeguarding the Welsh economy...?
Nigel Farage Tweeted
@Nigel_Farage
So an unelected, retiring bureaucrat says: No extension, take this new treaty or just leave.
He is overriding the Benn Act. The EU shows itself to be a thuggocracy - power without accountability.
Appalling people.
The "northern Irish" are "the UK".....It seems to be the original backstop from which Northern Ireland (and not UK) can opt to secede from.
It seems acceptable to me. If the Northern Irish are foolish enough to follow the UK into the abyss the EU shouldn't hold them back.
McHrozni
At their conference. I'll see if I can find a report with her words in it.Do you have a citation for this?
At their conference. I'll see if I can find a report with her words in it.
Eta: Sturgeon to request fresh independence referendum 'within weeks'
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...cottish-independence-referendum-within-weeks?
But I would say this to Jeremy Corbyn, or any Westminster leader who is looking to the SNP for support, if you don’t accept Scotland’s right to choose at our choosing – don’t even bother picking up the phone to me.”
From the Guardian comments:
“So he has taken May's deal and removed the lipstick. So now it is just a pig.”
I may be misunderstanding it but I think it replaces the backstop with (ironically) one of the reasons people were against the backstop for fear it would lead to ie a border between the UK and NI. Of course they don't phrase it as such and magically it will now be a 'great deal' which, if passed, will get Boris re-elected with a comfortable majority. the rest of May's previously 'dreadful' deal remains more or less intact.
Unbelieveable.
NB I'm hoping I've misunderstood all this
https://twitter.com/IanBlackfordMP/status/1184907755511005186?s=20I can confirm the SNP have tabled an amendment to Boris Johnson's appalling #Brexit deal, demanding an immediate extension and general election.
We can't leave power with this Tory government any longer, it's time for Labour & other opposition parties to stop dithering and act.
Then why would the EU agree to it?