• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trump's "Great and Unmatched Wisdom" Tweet

Trump's "Great and Umatched Wisdom". Who wrote it?

  • Trump wrote it, that's really what he thinks.

    Votes: 67 77.0%
  • A suckup in the White House, making Trump happy.

    Votes: 10 11.5%
  • A troll in the White House, making Trump look foolish.

    Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Erdogan or Putin

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • The Planet X'ers, via the probe in his rectum.

    Votes: 5 5.7%

  • Total voters
    87
Historical context and knowledge of the geopolitical landscape is necessary for these decisions. Trump doesn't have any nor does he care. Many knee jerk antiwar people share this mentality.
How successful has all of the supposed historical context and knowledge been so far.
 
Do you like us being the world’s police?
I wonder why we have 1,000 troops there?
The people who got us into Vietnam and Iraq also knew more than you or I.
You didn't answer my question.

If it's simply that you have a philosophy that the U.S. military should have no presence overseas that's fine.
 
There was an article a while ago that said that Trump approves all the tweets that are written for him. So even if he didn't write that himself, he still went "yup, that's how I want to be perceived".
 
There was an article a while ago that said that Trump approves all the tweets that are written for him. So even if he didn't write that himself, he still went "yup, that's how I want to be perceived".

I agree but also, this is one that is obviously written by the man himself because no underling would dare to put words like that in his mouth without his approval.
 
even those who think we should not have been in Syria in the first place are saying selling out the Kurds was a horrible action which might do more long term damage to the US then anything else Donnie has done.
 
You also need to remember that once people said in the 1990's "Who cares what happens over there? Can't impact us anyway" about another country in the Mideast.
That Country was Afghanistan.And we all know what happened...
 
You also need to remember that once people said in the 1990's "Who cares what happens over there? Can't impact us anyway" about another country in the Mideast.
That Country was Afghanistan.And we all know what happened...

This raises the question of what the US should have done in the 90s in Afghanistan, to prevent what happened. More importantly, it raises the question of what lesson we should have learned from Afghanistan, that can inform policy in Syria today. I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing the parallel.

A closer parallel might be the US troop withdrawal from Iraq, more recently, and the subsequent ISIS-driven destabilization there. I think it's fair to say that Donald Trump has not learned that lesson. Or at least isn't applying it in Syria. I dunno. Maybe the problem is that Iraq isn't sufficiently analogous to Syria, and so there's no applicable lesson to be learned there.

But in that case, how is Afghanistan, where the US didn't even have a troop presence in the 90s anyway, analogous or instructive? Unless the lesson is that Afghanistan and the US would be better off today if the Russians hadn't withdrawn their troops from that region.

---

ETA: Just thought of another possible lesson. So how about this? We understand that the Kurds, understandably bitter, may produce their own Osama Bin Laden - an Osama Bin Kurdistan, if you will. In order to forestall another 9/11-type attack, we should keep a close eye on the Kurds, and if an OBK emerges and settles in under a friendly despot, we should definitely send a SEAL hit team sooner rather than later.
 
Last edited:
You didn't answer my question.

If it's simply that you have a philosophy that the U.S. military should have no presence overseas that's fine.

I am not in favor of having troops in Syria. I am not against any presence overseas but I don't like them in war zones.
I admit I do not know that much about the complicated situation there.
Please educate me on the reasons we should be in Syria if you believe we should be there. I am not against learning.
There may humanitarian reasons we should be there.
But those types of circumstances exist all over the earth.
 
I am not in favor of having troops in Syria. I am not against any presence overseas but I don't like them in war zones.

I guess everyone prefers not to put troops at risk, but of course the point of having troops is that one is willing to put them in war zones.
 
My problem is that nobody seems to agree with me on which war zones to put them in.
Send like an awful lot of folk whip know stuff agree that leaving our troops in Syria was a good idea. But then they hadn't heard Erdogan's silver tongue.
 
Send like an awful lot of folk whip know stuff agree that leaving our troops in Syria was a good idea. But then they hadn't heard Erdogan's silver tongue.


Or have Trump's investments in businesses in Turkey; which the current emoluments lawsuit filed by members of the House investigatory committee has been turning up.

Nearly every stupid or insane foreign policy decision Trump has made can be readily explained by his desire to put money into his own pockets and protect his overseas financial connections.
 
I am not in favor of having troops in Syria. I am not against any presence overseas but I don't like them in war zones.
I admit I do not know that much about the complicated situation there.
Please educate me on the reasons we should be in Syria if you believe we should be there. I am not against learning.
There may humanitarian reasons we should be there.
But those types of circumstances exist all over the earth.
They were a deterrent. To prevent a Turkish invasion. Which is happening now. While the Kurds fight the Turks, they're also trying to keep 11,000 ISIS fighters from escaping. Some have already escaped. The Kurds did the actual fighting with ISIS as well.

I don't mean to be snarky, but why do you need me to educate you? Educate yourself. Google "Why are there U.S. troops in Syria?" That should get you started.
 
I am not in favor of having troops in Syria. I am not against any presence overseas but I don't like them in war zones.
Here's some background from Wikipedia.

ETA: To keep being a superpower the U.S. must have a military presence all over the globe. But if you're never going to use it, who's going to take it seriously? Almost all of Asia is under autocratic rule and South America is heading that way. We don't intervene in every conflict but we do for some, if it's important to the U.S. or its allies. Otherwise the U.S. would lose influence and relevance to the rest of the world. Would we pull troops out of South Korea? Let it fight its own battles. In Syria, a small number of special forces were able to train and equip a large Kurdish fighting force. For a modest investment we were keeping the peace and standing by our allies. Then we flee in the middle of the night knowing Turkey is coming and considers the Kurdish army a terrorist organization. Don't rely what Trump says. Check a few other sources. Then your opinions will be backed up by evidence.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom