• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever anyone questioned her knowledge on the subject at 16 was enough to warrant the adulation, we were informed she may have been extremely well read on it even at 16.



I am hoping you actually remember this as I think you were one of them and I can't be bothered trawling through the thread since it has been split in half.
And as ever you make claims and don't support them.
 
What is it with you lot?
Are all your kids thick as **** or something?

What about her speech is something she couldn't have pieced together herself from easily available info on the web?

As for the first para, you're just parroting the same crap the other arses are.

Well this description of a tele-conversation between Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Greta Thunberg is probably going to cause some branes to asplode as presumably neither had time for their (fictional) minders to coach them on what to say.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ez-met-greta-thunberg-hope-contagious-climate

It's almost as though a sixteen year old is able to reason well. I was probably younger than sixteen when I wrote my first complaint letter to a newspaper, to complain about the coverage of global warming (claiming it was a hoax, when the science was clear) in the late 1980s, and my eldest daughter managed to get an op-ed piece in the same paper, when she was 17. I wasn't particularly precocious, and nor are my kids.
 
I'll answer it then. The criticisms of Thunberg being a puppet of either her parents, or other unnamed adults, are unadulterated ********.


And yet we have that disturbing UN talk of her which screams her inner wounds to the world in a way that lets everyone with any empathy feel the trauma of that girl.

I've heard that there are cases of "eco-anxiety" by now, meaning children that suicide over this fear-porn. Unhealthy.
 
16 is still a kid. And what the hell does her being her very own person have to do with it?
What does that even mean?
That she is her own person, having her own identity.

She shouldn't be. It's not good for her.
While wait for her future world to be damaged is?
:rolleyes:

And BTW, she has been very much moulded by her parents. How do you think she got this crippling anxiety about the climate, which she had long before she turned 16? Her parents have basically inflicted a neurosis on her.
I'm sure you'll be providing evidence for this claim...
:rolleyes:
 
Oy! Leave Heinz alone.
Exactly. Bring back The Great Egg Race.

It also reminded me of my early teens in the UK and the 4-minute warning. This fact weighed on a lot of children’s minds back then and to me it is no surprise that global warming weighs on the thoughts of today’s kids.
Yep. But back then scaring kids was OK.

When a young girl speaks based on the same sources, she is vilified and deemed as a poor unworthy spokesperson. Why?
Because people, especially young people are listening to her and not doing what their elders tell the. That scares people.
 
This thread has demonstrated that it is the same people attacking Greta Thunberg as it is propping up strong man authoritarians around the world. The mixture of misogyny and anti-intellectualism shines through.

The tide is turning. Your days are numbered.
 
And yet we have that disturbing UN talk of her which screams her inner wounds to the world in a way that lets everyone with any empathy feel the trauma of that girl.

I've heard that there are cases of "eco-anxiety" by now, meaning children that suicide over this fear-porn. Unhealthy.

I read an article about eco-anxiety yesterday, Nothing about suicide but these kids are going into therapy and some of them are even refusing to have children. I'd be more impressed if they were refusing to get their driver's licenses or refusing to fly, but refusing to do those doesn't convey the required level of desperation.

I could help them out though, i could start a campaign to raise the minimum age for getting a driver's license from 16 to 21 and help save these kids from themselves.
 
This thread has demonstrated that it is the same people attacking Greta Thunberg as it is propping up strong man authoritarians around the world. The mixture of misogyny and anti-intellectualism shines through.

The tide is turning. Your days are numbered.

Evidence that criticism of Thunberg is rooted in misogyny or is that something you just pulled out of your ass and hoping it will stick.

I'd really hate to think that Thungberg shouldn't be criticized because she's a girl, equality and all that, you know.
 
I read an article about eco-anxiety yesterday, Nothing about suicide but these kids are going into therapy and some of them are even refusing to have children. I'd be more impressed if they were refusing to get their driver's licenses or refusing to fly, but refusing to do those doesn't convey the required level of desperation.

I could help them out though, i could start a campaign to raise the minimum age for getting a driver's license from 16 to 21 and help save these kids from themselves.


As I said early in the thread, the worst thing you can do in any situation is to panic, and to panic is exactly what Greta is telling her followers to do. It's the main message, For those who did not watch it, please do, five minutes:



This is not healthy.
 
I'm pretty sure her public speeches and Twitter feed are more than enough evidence for a layman to form a reasonable impression.


And having done so, the impression I have formed is that she is an intelligent, articulate, well-informed young lady who has done her research and is asking people to listen to the scientists who are telling us that the time to do something substantial is now. If it isn't already too late.

It seems odd to me that you have such a problem with her being and doing that. It's like you think she has no right to speak out.

Or that you somehow blame her for the simple fact that people are paying attention to her message.
 
As I said early in the thread, the worst thing you can do in any situation is to panic, and to panic is exactly what Greta is telling her followers to do. It's the main message, For those who did not watch it, please do, five minutes:



This is not healthy.


I don't hear her telling anyone to panic. I heard her telling them to get their asses in gear and go to work on a problem they've been studiously ignoring for decades. One which has gotten significantly worse in that time.

What is unhealthy is the spin you seem to want to put on her message. As if she should be belittled and chastised for saying truths you don't want to hear.
 
And having done so, the impression I have formed is that she is an intelligent, articulate, well-informed young lady who has done her research and is asking people to listen to the scientists who are telling us that the time to do something substantial is now. If it isn't already too late.

It seems odd to me that you have such a problem with her being and doing that. It's like you think she has no right to speak out.

Or that you somehow blame her for the simple fact that people are paying attention to her message.

How do you plan to go forward based on the inspiration you have received from Greta?

How will you change your lifestyle? Your political involvement?
 
Last edited:
How do you plan to go forward based on the inspiration you have received from Greta?

How will you change your lifestyle? Your political involvement?

Yep, unless people on these fora admits to being personally inspired into action, we can assume Greta has had no effect on anyone. That's how it works.
 
This I disagree with. Greta has inspired several school skip days affecting already poor educational systems.

She has caused them to take to the streets blocking and slowing traffic, causing greater pollution to be produced than normal.

But I don't think Greta fans seen this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom