• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cox is awesome.


Yes, Brian Cox is good. One of the scientists that Greta Thunberg wants people to listen to.

Climate Change: Professor Brian Cox clashes with sceptic Malcolm Roberts - BBC News

"You’re doing exactly the right thing.” In an era when teenagers are being criticised for daring to speak up about the terrifying state of the planet, it’s reassuring to have support from some influential voices. Professor Brian Cox is one of those voices. The physicist and presenter was in the city ahead of his live show on Wednesday, part of his Universal world tour. He swung by Young Post HQ to talk about space, stars, and youth activism.
Professor and educator Brian Cox on youth standing up and speaking up for humanity, political activism and why science is helpful for all careers (Young Post, June 02, 2019)
 
Yes, Brian Cox is good. One of the scientists that Greta Thunberg wants people to listen to.

Climate Change: Professor Brian Cox clashes with sceptic Malcolm Roberts - BBC News

The longer version is funny as.

Makes the Aussie bloke look like an idiot.



Funny as bloke to which helps.
 

Brian Cox as well as being extremely intelligent and able to put his point across to your average person, is also able to do it in a way that can bring a humour to it.

Not in the topic. But in a subtle way against those who argue against obvious evidence.


I would say just watch the video I posted, but this maybe to much.
 
Brian Cox as well as being extremely intelligent and able to put his point across to your average person, is also able to do it in a way that can bring a humour to it.



Not in the topic. But in a subtle way against those who argue against obvious evidence.





I would say just watch the video I posted, but this maybe to much.
He is also like Greta not a climate scientist.
 
He is also like Greta not a climate scientist.


Yes, but he is one of the highest qualified scientists in the world, and has credibility and believability in what he is talking about and doesn't rely on over-acting.

And frankly a half hour of him today at the UN would have been more credible than her.

Mate

You asked for who I listened to

I gave you two examples.

If you want to be critical post yours
 
He is also like Greta not a climate scientist.

It is also not entirely true

If you want to know about how climate affects different planets, based on atmosphere I would like you to pick a better person to ask
 
I bothered to listen to some of her speeches, it's all over the news again.

The bottomless shaming without offering a solution comes up short. Listen to the scientists could be choose one that says what we want to hear.

I doubt she writes her own speeches, I doubt she researched the claims she makes.
As a voice of some group of environmentalists she fits the bill perfectly, but I can't help to look for the ones behind her, and their motives.
.

If only she would address such accusations.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=767646880269801&id=732846497083173
 
Yes, but he is one of the highest qualified scientists in the world, and has credibility and believability in what he is talking about and doesn't rely on over-acting.



And frankly a half hour of him today at the UN would have been more credible than her.



Mate



You asked for who I listened to



I gave you two examples.



If you want to be critical post yours
How is he one of the highest qualified scientists in the world?
 
that is a very patronizing thing to say.
She is 16. And from all that we know, she is very much her own person.

16 is still a kid. And what the hell does her being her very own person have to do with it? What does that even mean? That she has her own desires? Sure. But so what? It doesn't matter if she wants to be up on stage. She shouldn't be. It's not good for her. Lots of 16 year old kids want things that aren't good for them, and their parents (and other adults) have a responsibility to not let them indulge in something bad just because they want it.

And BTW, she has been very much moulded by her parents. How do you think she got this crippling anxiety about the climate, which she had long before she turned 16? Her parents have basically inflicted a neurosis on her.
 
Come on lads, he's on the telly and everything, that makes him as smart as Patrick Moore, Jonathan Miller, Heinz Wolff and David Bellamy. :D

Ok, maybe not Heinz, he had the hair and the German accent thing. :)

Oy! Leave Heinz alone.

I remember Heinz in the mid to late 70's talking about environmental problems. I should add one of the fears of the 70s included a potential new mini ice-age.

One of the BBC TV programs Heinz judged, "Young Scientist of the Year", had one episode where these school kids wanted to test the effect CFCs had on Ozone. They had read about the potential problem with CFCs and wanted to test it out. This would have been around 1975/6 and way before any action was taken on the Ozone layer.

I remember its impact and I was only a child and the then predictions were ignored as far as possible by wise adults.

I can fully relate why Greta has been so successful.

When my kids started Kindergarten and Pre School in Germany back in the 90s, caring for the planet was a daily issue. Recycling, nature conservation etc.

To be honest, I was not fully happy with it since I felt that whilst in a non religious school, they were being taught something akin to the "original sin" - Care for the planet or else!

It also reminded me of my early teens in the UK and the 4-minute warning. This fact weighed on a lot of children’s minds back then and to me it is no surprise that global warming weighs on the thoughts of today’s kids.

I was a pre-teenager coming to terms with these potential dangers, whereas many of these children today have been taught about the planet and our detrimental actions upon it from their first day at school.

Does anyone really expect them not to react?

Moving on, countless adults have been on media including Professor Cox discussing climate change, and yet the message has appeared to be rejected or played down by those in power.

Cox, not being a climatologist, has to find his material from the scientific community doing research in that field so that he may speak with authority when called to do so.

That is deemed fine - though throwing graphs at people who disagree is rather childish.

When a young girl speaks based on the same sources, she is vilified and deemed as a poor unworthy spokesperson. Why?

What she is saying is not knew. Notwithstanding the Club of Rome`s 1972 publication of their report “The Limits to Growth” already discussing environmental impact on society which has been amended to include latest findings and republished under different titles, I will never forget a leading German Professor of Genetics from The University of Leipzig giving a lecture in London in 1993 regarding the then already increasing rate of extinction and the consequences. That is where I first heard the term "Anthropocene".

Personally, I really like her speeches. They are direct and I can agree to a certain extent, hyperbolic (she is only 16) – she says she writes them, and why not? - their structure is not that particularly high.

Her final words as a conclusion in Washington.

"Listen to the science!"

Is anyone arguing against that here?

A 16-year-old who has made an impact not just in the English-speaking world, and pissed off many including a head of state who could not bring himself down to even afford a greeting in her presence, deserves respect.

Until someone else can make a better impact, young or old, I am glad she has done so.

Some argue that the presentation is what they do not like, or the mode of its delivery. Poppycock!

I could make a statement of fact using my turds and whilst the delivery would not be to everyone’s taste, the unpalatable fact would remain valid.

Rant over.
 
Last edited:
Oy! Leave Heinz alone.

I remember Heinz in the mid to late 70's talking about environmental problems. I should add one of the fears of the 70s included a potential new mini ice-age.

One of the BBC TV programs Heinz judged, "Young Scientist of the Year", had one episode where these school kids wanted to test the effect CFCs had on Ozone. They had read about the potential problem with CFCs and wanted to test it out. This would have been around 1975/6 and way before any action was taken on the Ozone layer.
....

You misunderstand, I meant that while Brian Cox may reach Bellamy or Moore levels of cleverness, Heinz, with his archetypal scientist attributes, was clearly on a different, much higher level. :)
 
And BTW, she has been very much moulded by her parents. How do you think she got this crippling anxiety about the climate, which she had long before she turned 16? Her parents have basically inflicted a neurosis on her.

And yet:

"When I told my parents about my plans they weren’t very fond of it. They did not support the idea of school striking and they said that if I were to do this I would have to do it completely by myself and with no support from them."

"My parents were as far from climate activists as possible before I made them aware of the situation."
 
And BTW, she has been very much moulded by her parents. How do you think she got this crippling anxiety about the climate, which she had long before she turned 16? Her parents have basically inflicted a neurosis on her.

Or, you know, she might have actually read stuff herself?
My kids do.

It's not as if this is hard stuff to dig up.
 
How old do you have to be to be taken seriously when you have something serious to say?
50?

It isn't about taking her seriously. It's about not putting her in the spotlight. She is a child. She has no accomplishments. That is no sin, almost no 16 year old in the world does, but you don't put someone like that in the spotlight. It's invariably bad for them. The seriousness of her opinions isn't relevant. And you cannot tell me that her perspective is in any way unique, that she has something to say that no adult is saying. So why her? It's child exploitation.
 
I haven't seen this kind of dangerous childhood indoctrination since watching Jesus Camp.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom