• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more
Conversely, that sort of lie worries me more than the others.
It is surely rather a meta level worry though, isn't it..... the apparently pointless lies worry you because you think it implies something psychological about him which may mean he does some unknown thing in the future.

I can understand rational lying. It's the irrational lying that worries me because it indicates something isn't right with him. It also means that his relationship with truth is such that I am starting to doubt that he knows when he lies.
I think it's hard to say that his trivial lying isn't rational when taken as a whole. He managed to beat the Republican and Democrat establishment to the Presidency. He has made things slid off him that would have sunk almost any other politician. He clearly has a unique way of communicating and a gift for managing his image. Assuming he sees this way of communicating and presenting himself (as some kind of pantomime villain) as successful, then how is it not rational?

It is rational for Gordon Ramsey to swear at and be vile to the people on his shows, it is rational for Simon Cowell to insult people, it was rational for Honey Boo Boo to stuff her face. They are probably all somewhat like that in real life, but the extent of it is an act for the camera.
 
It is surely rather a meta level worry though, isn't it..... the apparently pointless lies worry you because you think it implies something psychological about him which may mean he does some unknown thing in the future.


I think it's hard to say that his trivial lying isn't rational when taken as a whole. He managed to beat the Republican and Democrat establishment to the Presidency. He has made things slid off him that would have sunk almost any other politician. He clearly has a unique way of communicating and a gift for managing his image. Assuming he sees this way of communicating and presenting himself (as some kind of pantomime villain) as successful, then how is it not rational?

Oh, I get it. The ends justifies the means. Now where have I heard that before?
 
It occurred to me that Dr Evil could almost be talking about Trump when he talks about his father:

"he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark"
 
Maybe. That is the second part of my argument. Step 1 is trying to agree to the premise that IF ratified parts of the geneva convention violate the constitution THEN it is not a part of US law.

For pete's sake let it go. You're wrong. Take it to another thread if you want a long discussion about it.
 
You must be joking. He does nothing but lie.
I hadn't thought about it particularly. Most of the communication I've seen has just seemed like nonsense intended to get a reaction and then pointing to the reaction. It struck me as deliberately vague and ambiguous rather than untrue.
 
I hadn't thought about it particularly. Most of the communication I've seen has just seemed like nonsense intended to get a reaction and then pointing to the reaction. It struck me as deliberately vague and ambiguous rather than untrue.
Trump is the GOAT of lying. He's been a compulsive liar for as long as I can remember him being famous. His small collection of mentors were all pathological liars. Lying is his business model and his political philosophy. Which is kinda strange when you consider the fact that his numb-skulled cheering squad couldn't stop gushing about his "straight talk" approach.
 
I hadn't thought about it particularly. Most of the communication I've seen has just seemed like nonsense intended to get a reaction and then pointing to the reaction. It struck me as deliberately vague and ambiguous rather than untrue.

Now you're being disingenuous. What I find stunning is not that Trump is a compulsive liar but that so many people dismiss his lying as trivial and irrelevant. I think it says more about them and not Trump. Rationalizing bad behavior is not the key to anything good.

Do you have children? Do you think it is trivial when they lie to you? My guess is that if you were brought up in the kind of household I was your parents wouldn't stand for that behavior.
 
Trump is the GOAT of lying. He's been a compulsive liar for as long as I can remember him being famous. His small collection of mentors were all pathological liars. Lying is his business model and his political philosophy. Which is kinda strange when you consider the fact that his numb-skulled cheering squad couldn't stop gushing about his "straight talk" approach.

Hey, any good con man will tell you that coming off as a "straight shooter" is just about the first thing a good con man needs to master.
 
He's been a compulsive liar for as long as I can remember him being famous.
The image and mode of communication he uses has been hugely successful for him. I don't know to what extent it is true or useful to call it compulsive.

His small collection of mentors were all pathological liars.
I don't know enough to comment on this.

Lying is his business model and his political philosophy.
This sounds like a choice rather than a pathology.

Which is kinda strange when you consider the fact that his numb-skulled cheering squad couldn't stop gushing about his "straight talk" approach.
Well, I think there is some truth in that too. Most politicians who have any kind of hope for mainstream success would struggle to say something like "I'm going to build a wall to keep out the Mexicans", even if it was what they meant. Somehow Trump can say things like that.
 
Now you're being disingenuous. What I find stunning is not that Trump is a compulsive liar but that so many people dismiss his lying as trivial and irrelevant. I think it says more about them and not Trump. Rationalizing bad behavior is not the key to anything good.

Do you have children? Do you think it is trivial when they lie to you? My guess is that if you were brought up in the kind of household I was your parents wouldn't stand for that behavior.

What I find stunning is that Trump is proving to be such a inept liar as President.. At one time we was actually a pretty good con man, but since taking office his skills as a con man are vanishing.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom