• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more
It's been 3 1/2 months. Let's hope he never has an opportunity to lie as grandly as, say, "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

For the record, Polifact has a list of almost 140, and I've seen other lists as high as 200+.
 
The understatement of the century.

Trivial lies? Like I'll release my taxes? That no one will lose their healthcare? That Trump care will cover preexisting conditions. That a ban on Muslims is not a ban on Muslims? That I'll divest my investments if I'm elected? That Obama wasn't born in the US. That Obama is a Muslim. That I personally select instructors for Trump University. That I never declared bankruptcy.

Those lies? I'm sure there are many others that the rest of us don't consider trivial.
Perhaps, but now we are getting away from whether he is the biggest liar in Presidential history. By talking about things of any significance at all you have already ignored most of the false things he says.

I'm not convinced that all of those are straightforwardly lies, but that may be that I'm not familiar with the specific quote you are thinking of. The Muslim one is the one that jumps out.

Some of the others you quote fall into the silly category "I never declared bankruptcy". That isn't a politicians lie. It's straightforwardly, obviously and easily demonstrably false. That kind of lie doesn't worry me very much.

Anyway, if we just count things that are more like normal politicians lies - your healthcare ones for example.... I'm less convinced he lies so much more than any other President.
 
The question is irrelevant because those action descriptions don't apply. His action was not legal. Start there.

Feel free to make the argument. Based on evidence currently available, I don't see clear reasoning that the firing was illegal.

Maybe more will come out.
 
So as long as he doesn't start a war and get people killed it's nothing to worry about?
Not what I said. Starting a war and getting hundreds of thousands of people killed would be at the overachieving end of the scale. Still, there is time.
 
It's been 3 1/2 months. Let's hope he never has an opportunity to lie as grandly as, say, "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."
If he decides to start a war it'll be the biggest war ever, the best... everybody will have been telling him they've never seen a war like it.
 
And it has only been a few months. He has plenty of time to lie the country into a war.
That is true. Personally I'd be more worried about that if he had some kind of grand vision or messianic plan. My impression is he is more domestically focused than recent Presidents, but who knows... he is a hard man to predict.

Thinking about it, maybe that is one reason for the Democrats not to calm down. Give him a war at home, and he has no need to go looking for drama overseas.
 
Last edited:
That's not up to the FBI. They are an investigative body they don't prosecute. An SP would have to come from the AG and that ain't gonna happen.

I'm not sure that is true.

United States Office of the Independent Counsel was an independent prosecutor — distinct from the Attorney General of the United States Department of Justice — that provided reports to the United States Congress under 28 U.S.C. § 595. The office was terminated in 1999 and replaced by the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel.

But it is my understanding that either Congress or the AG can appoint an Independent Counsel.
 
I don't think they can, that's the problem. It has to be approved by some number of Republicans.

So, yeah, we're **********.

I am reminded of Republican appointed Judge Jones who ruled on the Kitzmiller v Dover case. There are still decent Republicans. You just need to find them.
 
Presidents are elected to exercise the power of the executive branch. Trump did so. What is the problem?
It is quite straightforward:
- There is good reason to believe that Comey's firing was intended to impede the FBI investigation.
- Impeding a federal investigation is unlawful. Even for the President.

-Thus, his action, at the very least, needs an impartial, independent investigation
 
I'm not sure that is true.

United States Office of the Independent Counsel was an independent prosecutor — distinct from the Attorney General of the United States Department of Justice — that provided reports to the United States Congress under 28 U.S.C. § 595. The office was terminated in 1999 and replaced by the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel.

But it is my understanding that either Congress or the AG can appoint an Independent Counsel.

I sure as frak wouldn't trust any SC appointed by Sessions.
 
I get the feeling that Trump really doesn't get the difference between president and CEO.
...
I get the feeling he makes a very lousy CEO and if he wasn't good at real estate shenanigans, fraud, and getting involved in money laundering, he wouldn't be rich.
 
Perhaps, but now we are getting away from whether he is the biggest liar in Presidential history. By talking about things of any significance at all you have already ignored most of the false things he says.

I'm not convinced that all of those are straightforwardly lies, but that may be that I'm not familiar with the specific quote you are thinking of. The Muslim one is the one that jumps out.

Some of the others you quote fall into the silly category "I never declared bankruptcy". That isn't a politicians lie. It's straightforwardly, obviously and easily demonstrably false. That kind of lie doesn't worry me very much.

Anyway, if we just count things that are more like normal politicians lies - your healthcare ones for example.... I'm less convinced he lies so much more than any other President.

He may or may not 'as of yet' told the biggest lie. But give him time. I bet he's told the most and in only 120 days.

Trump wouldn't want to come in second place.
 
Last edited:
Perhaps, but now we are getting away from whether he is the biggest liar in Presidential history. By talking about things of any significance at all you have already ignored most of the false things he says.

I'm not convinced that all of those are straightforwardly lies, but that may be that I'm not familiar with the specific quote you are thinking of. The Muslim one is the one that jumps out.

Some of the others you quote fall into the silly category "I never declared bankruptcy". That isn't a politicians lie. It's straightforwardly, obviously and easily demonstrably false. That kind of lie doesn't worry me very much. Anyway, if we just count things that are more like normal politicians lies - your healthcare ones for example.... I'm less convinced he lies so much more than any other President.


Conversely, that sort of lie worries me more than the others.

I can understand rational lying. It's the irrational lying that worries me because it indicates something isn't right with him. It also means that his relationship with truth is such that I am starting to doubt that he knows when he lies.
 
I get the feeling he makes a very lousy CEO and if he wasn't good at real estate shenanigans, fraud, and getting involved in money laundering, he wouldn't be rich.

If he wasn't good at being born rich, you mean?


I do wonder disaffected law enforcement parties might also start looking at his relationships with organised crime. I suspect they'd be easier to prove.
 
I sure as frak wouldn't trust any SC appointed by Sessions.

Unless he's been hard at work replacing the career professionals that is part of that office, he'd have to choose from those in house. I'm pretty sure it's a pool of pre-approved attorneys. But I don't blame you for being concerned.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom