• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Proof of Immortality, V for Very long discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
- But YOU and I are not traceable.

Under H they are exactly as traceable as a Volkswagen. Traceability is not some magic bugaboo that fixes your argument. You were told what was wrong with your concept of traceability. Please have the courtesy to incorporate that into subsequent posts.
 
- But, the duplicate process would not be ME.
In every possible way, yes it would be you. The copy would have your memories, your thoughts, your feelings; it would be 'know' itself to be you in the same way that you 'know' yourself to be you.
 
Does 1+1=2? Or does 1+1=1?

Answering my question will answer yours.
- Sure, 1+1=2. I understand what you're saying, but it just explains why I'm right. Under H, YOU will not come back. And if YOU won't, YOU are not physically traceable.
 
- Sure, 1+1=2. I understand what you're saying, but it just explains why I'm right. Under H, YOU will not come back. And if YOU won't, YOU are not physically traceable.


How I am not physically traceable? Remember, under H, I am my body. I am not some separate thing hosted by my body.
 
In every possible way, yes it would be you. The copy would have your memories, your thoughts, your feelings; it would be 'know' itself to be you in the same way that you 'know' yourself to be you.
- But, if I had previously died, would I be brought back to life?
 
- Consequently, this copy is not perfect, and we cannot specify the physics of ME -- unless we consider time and space...

Again, this does not follow.

You are changing the meaning of the word "perfect" in order for it to be impossible to attain that standard. A perfect copy is STILL A COPY.

- But YOU and I are not traceable.

Yes we are. What you seem unwilling or unable to understand is that "you" is something that is traceable to a single set of circumstances. Creating even a perfect copy does not make "you" exist in both bodies. The replica copy is another person, but identical.
 
Both copies would have an identical sense of ME. You, after replication, would become YOU and YOU with nothing to distinguish them.
- Yeah. But would YOU be brought back to life. That's my basic claim -- that "perfect" replica would be missing something.
 
- Sure, 1+1=2. I understand what you're saying, but it just explains why I'm right. Under H, YOU will not come back. And if YOU won't, YOU are not physically traceable.

That does not follow.

If I start my car and drive to New York tomorrow, and then a week later I create an exact copy of my car and drive on precisely the same path to New York, it's still not the exact same trip, is it?

Does that mean that "driving" is physically untraceable? No, of course not.

- If YOU are not brought back to life, H is simply wrong.

It's exactly the opposite. If you were brought back to life, H would be wrong.

How can you possibly get something so fundamentally wrong after so many years of us explaining things to you in detail?
 
- Yeah. But would YOU be brought back to life. That's my basic claim -- that "perfect" replica would be missing something.

It's not missing anything. It just isn't the same self. It's another, identical self.

This is the third or fourth time I post this today. Perhaps if you took the time to read and understand it?
 
Again, this does not follow.

You are changing the meaning of the word "perfect" in order for it to be impossible to attain that standard. A perfect copy is STILL A COPY.



Yes we are. What you seem unwilling or unable to understand is that "you" is something that is traceable to a single set of circumstances. Creating even a perfect copy does not make "you" exist in both bodies. The replica copy is another person, but identical.
- If it's another person, it's different.
 
- Consequently, this copy is not perfect, and we cannot specify the physics of ME -- unless we consider time and space...


Begging the question. In the universe as you wish it to be the copy could not be perfect because you claim that you have a unique soul. Under H a perfect physical copy of you would have an identical consciousness, with both consciousnesses being cause and effect traceable to their respective brain, each looking out only through his set of eyes, and neither of them having a soul (or anything else "brought with" consciousness).
 
- If it's another person, it's different.
Separate but identical in every respect. It is different in the sense that it is a separate entity, but not different in the sense of not being identical.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom