That's an odd assertion, especially given the bizarre and untrue comments that follow.
I spent six thousand dollars on tires for my Supercub. This is not the little boy's kite club here.
I wonder if you get discounts for going downwind?
The current federal deduction for cars is over fifty cents a mile. Airtime around here, for short commuter flights to the villages is order of magnitude more expensive. Costs more than flying to the lower '48 in many cases. Hundreds of miles costing more than thousands of miles.
But 35 cents a mile shows how reasonable it is.
^^That one is a big clue. Become a meteorologist in 15 minutes!
No, it isn't a big clue. You can fly an ultralight the day you buy it with no certification and you can fly a
one person blimp on the same day too.
A passenger-sized blimp is an airship, as per FAA regulations. It has about the same license requirement as fixed wing pilots. You are just way out in left field here trying to make this sound crazy.
But I went ahead and asked a friend in Portland to call her local office for me anyway.........
I flew 13 years without a license, every bit of it extreme off-airport conditions. Flew hang gliders for years. No license. Did bushplanes and multi-engine too, no license. I hated every minute of it when I finally got one. I had to fly into town from a cabin I was building in the wilderness in order to pay an airport jock to check off that I could taxi on the runway and etc. I had over a thousand hours by then.
You can't even train for what I was doing with an on-board pilot really. The airport jocks certified for pedestrian flying don't know their ass from a hole in the ground off-airport. I did multi-engine to keep my options open for smuggling across the southern border. Been across the northern border many a time, no customs. You just find someone to train you for that. Get licensed for it, lol.
You do it yourself. I read a lot on the old school bush pilots. Then talked to some well-known ones, one dead now, a crash, and another with lots of steel in is body from near fatal crack-ups. And I've had mine.
You can make what we do out to be insane. Or you can look at it like any other extreme activity where there's no licenses. Skiing and biking down cliffs or at a hundred miles an hour. Off road bike and 4wd extreme climbs.
I have a pretty damned good idea what it takes to fly things, engine or no, and there's a good reason you don't need licenses to fly hang gliders, ultralights, and one-person blimps. Anyone can do it. But don't jump into my supercub and think you can skip off the water coming into a too-short gravel bar, standing on the brakes just enough not to nose over. Or take off on the water the other side of it. Land in a boulder field, trees lying down. brush whacking your struts, ripping your tail wheel off. Take on rotors. Even with a license you are not going to survive that.
But you can fly their one person blimp the day you show up, I assure you.
That is a remarkably reasonable rate of engaging an airship with great capabilities in terms of big game animal observation/enumeration. It is not crazy to have a person piloting a one-passenger model without a license. It's what the law provides.