I just heard Trump express dismay at some invoking the fifth amendment and imply that it is a sign of guilt.
I personally never do that. I accept the invoking of the fifth amendment and I never read into it further. Heck, I have invoked it when an answer would have supported innocence. What about others here?
Really? The reason why you can invoke the 5th is to not incriminate yourself from your own words, you can't just plead it like a fancy "no comment" to each and every question you are asked. So using it to avoid having to answer a question is clear proof that if you told the truth you would incriminate yourself i.e. admit your guilt.
What the 5th does protect people from is the "no answer" being used by the prosecution or the defence as part of the case against or for you and if it is a jury trial the jury shouldn't use it as evidence of guilt.