grunion
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jul 28, 2003
- Messages
- 12,070
I know we live in Instant World, but a whole lot of us have actually changed people's minds by standing outside of Draft Boards, Hotels, City Halls, Police Headquarters, the Capital, the Supreme Court, the White House, Stonewall, the DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION IN CHICAGO IN '68, etc....
I want people shouting "No More Wars". I want the Dems to question this new coziness with flag-waving in lieu of programs and ideas. I don't find this in the least bit embarrassing. I'm proud of them. Pride in country is fine. Wrapping yourself in the flag is not. We need pacifist voices. We need dissenters. The slither to the right at the DNC made me VERY uncomfortable. It's those dissidents, pacifists, anti-corporatists and anti-militarists that I'm counting on to keep that self-serving instinct from taking over the Democratic Party.
Far from embarrassing, I am proud of those idiots. ["Idiots" because, as with everyone else, anyone who disagrees with ME is an idiot.]
QFT. It is precisely the willingness to be uncomfortable, to be a conscientious objector, to "speak truth to power" if you'll pardon the expression that made me and so many others feel the Bern. Yes, Bernie fell on his sword at the prospect of a Trump presidency, but that doesn't equate to packing up the Revolution and going home. Those angry kids WERE marginalized and bullied by what the Democratic Party has become under Debbie Wasserman Schultz . Bernie was right in calling Hillary unqualified, with her neoliberal patronage of the 1 percent and her general lack of integrity. Yeah, I will vote for her but don't tell me I have to do it quietly.