• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

  • Hillary Clinton will be the nominee.

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Bernie Sanders will be the nominee.

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Vermin Supreme will be the nominee.

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Someone else will be the nominee.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Planet X will unleash their secret weapon - a 35 year old clone of Justin Trudeau who was born in Wa

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    27
  • Poll closed .
Fox then decided to call up Newt for his take and he immediately started talking about how Benghazi was not mentioned anywhere in the speech.

The reaction of Bernie or Bust'ers on facebook during the speech was telling. Essentially every time Bill would talk about Hillary working to help other people and advance civil rights causes they would cry out "BS, she only ever does what big banks tell her!" because they have apparently turned her into some sort of cartoon.

Actually that was Stephen Colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7j11BfBhxw

;)
 
Bill Clinton said this in regards to voting for Hillary "Your children and grandchildren will bless you".

Smh
 
Bill Clinton said this in regards to voting for Hillary "Your children and grandchildren will bless you".

Smh

Can you flesh out your point a little more? Some of us don't suffer from HDS, and aren't therefore viewing everything through the lens of how horrible Clinton is.
 
I present, for your conventioneering enjoymitude, the late great Harry Nilsson, Bedford-Stuyvesant's and the Great State of New York's favorite son, singing a song from that Amurrican Treshoor, Randy Newman of the state that is proud to put our candidate over the top,.... California casts its 884 votes for.....



Randy grew up in the era I did and apparently misses those convention moments, too. He wrote this in the late sixties.

Pretty cool. Serious points for eclecticism, finding that one.
 
Pretty cool. Serious points for eclecticism, finding that one.

I'd love to claim an encyclopedic knowledge but it was simply memory and coincidental interests. I loved those old days of the conventions where they made mini-speeches at every state. I was an early Nilsson fan and Newan's humor and affection for those moments just stuck with me.

I remember that tradition with great fondness. 1960.... as Kennedy was rolling up the nomination..... Florida would get called on and come in with "Mr. Chairman-man-man.... " and launch into a four minute commercial for the state including plugging the headliner that month at the Fountainbleau in Miami and wrap up with.... ".... and proudly casts its thirty votes for the next president of the United States, George Smathers......".
 
Can you flesh out your point a little more? Some of us don't suffer from HDS, and aren't therefore viewing everything through the lens of how horrible Clinton is.

I interpreted it as a threat from Bill Clinton that he'll impregnate my wife and daughters.
 
Yeah, I try to view these things from both my side and the "what will John Q Public think". Bill's a narrative kind of speaker in his senior years. He likes to set the scene and build, so you had to sort of tranq-down to get into the rhythm. Knowing how much time he had [as much as he wanted, face it] I realized when he started in '71 that we were to settle in for Anna Karenina.

I think the speech worked for those willing to settle into his rhythm. It wasn't the most brilliant speech I've ever heard, but it was fitting to the occasion. There was nothing but love and respect up there, coming from a man who once held the position of most powerful person on earth. Compare that to "my rich husband been beri good to me... stolen words, stolen words... he won't let you down, believe me".

Fox gave it almost three minutes of actual analysis. Meghan Kelly, the little flirt, was seemingly visibly moved and that Bret guy said it was very effective. Then they segued into "notice he didn't bring up Monica", so the honeymoon only lasted until Meghan could get over her swoon. But they kinda didn't know where to attack from at first.

I really thought it was masterful. Here was a two time President, talking about how he met his better half. About how he was in awe of a woman "girl" who was his equal in every way. Not reading stiffly a speech written by someone else from a teleprompter, but effortlessly telling personal story after personal story about how his wife had touched and helped so many people.

There will be people cynically ripping into Bill, but even they have to be left thinking I'm damn glad we're not running against Bill again. That was an example of "how you do it " a real tough act to follow. Obama is good .....very good....but even he doesn't have that down home country charm that just oozes from Bill.
 
I'd love to claim an encyclopedic knowledge but it was simply memory and coincidental interests. I loved those old days of the conventions where they made mini-speeches at every state. I was an early Nilsson fan and Newan's humor and affection for those moments just stuck with me.

I remember that tradition with great fondness. 1960.... as Kennedy was rolling up the nomination..... Florida would get called on and come in with "Mr. Chairman-man-man.... " and launch into a four minute commercial for the state including plugging the headliner that month at the Fountainbleau in Miami and wrap up with.... ".... and proudly casts its thirty votes for the next president of the United States, George Smathers......".

I do too. But it also got old really fast.
 
CNN showed a DNC video featuring a whole lot of celebrities doing a song. One of their commenters then said it made him feel old because he he only recognized about 25% of them. He had me beat by 100%, I didn't know a one.
 
CNN showed a DNC video featuring a whole lot of celebrities doing a song. One of their commenters then said it made him feel old because he he only recognized about 25% of them. He had me beat by 100%, I didn't know a one.

They mentioned that the video has been shown at all of Hillary's rallies. I guess for the younger demographic.
 
That didn't touch you? What...never met a girl? That's just how I would describe meeting my wife and we were both in our late twenties. She was a woman no doubt, but would always be "my girl".

Hearing Bill describing meeting Hillary made me tear up just a little. I thought it was touching.

Certainly beats the hell out of what Trump said about his wife a few years ago when he said "it doesn't really matter what the press writes about you as long as you have a hot piece of ass."

Bill didn't meet a girl in 1971. He met -- and probably boned -- multiple girls. It's strange they would play this whole love affair angle when the guy has cheated on her over the years.

I'm sure there were a lot of women cocking their heads and going "awwwwww" because they love, love, love hearing stories about how two people met. I want to say they're the kind of fragile women who are always cold and cup their tea with both hands.
 
Bill didn't meet a girl in 1971. He met -- and probably boned -- multiple girls. It's strange they would play this whole love affair angle when the guy has cheated on her over the years.

I'm sure there were a lot of women cocking their heads and going "awwwwww" because they love, love, love hearing stories about how two people met. I want to say they're the kind of fragile women who are always cold and cup their tea with both hands.

As a philandering cheating boyfriend who chased every skirt in town I can still totally relate to being "in love" with one girl. Maybe you're perfect. I wasn't. I'm flawed. My experience is that we all are in some way. That doesn't make our human emotions any less genuine.
 
Obama speaks tonight. Sounds like it will be a combination of pushing for Hillary, and listing his own accomplishments and policies in the context of making sure they are continued the next few years, so Hillary.

~ After Clinton, preceding Clinton, Obama speaks tonight... ~
~ First a Clinton, and Last a Clinton, but Obama's here tonight... ~

~~ OOwwweeeeeoooo ~~

~ andBernieWept andBernieWept andBernieWept andBernieWept ... ~
 
Last edited:
~ andBernieWept andBernieWept andBernieWept andBernieWept ... ~

I think a lot of people are "weeping"! They certainly should be. At least tonight we get to hear the BEST President of my lifetime speak. Sadly the next to hold that office, can't hold a candle to him. Gonna miss that guy!:(
 
I think a lot of people are "weeping"! They certainly should be. At least tonight we get to hear the BEST President of my lifetime speak. Sadly the next to hold that office, can't hold a candle to him. Gonna miss that guy!:(

Bill Clinton was to me despite doing a few things I strongly disagreed with.

I always thought the best and worst thing about Obama was something he had no control over and that was that he was black. It was historic and inspiring. But that same pont caused a racist backlash. I've never seen any President treated by the opposition the way Obama was treated. Obama was always walking that line between being an "uppity ******" being "too white". His policy proposals were dead on arrival even things that the GOP favored just because it was from him.Outside of the affordable care act which was yuuuuge Obama has scant legislative achievements. I thought he failed miserably at appointing Federal judges, particularly when you acknowledge that he had a Senate majority the first 2 years. You would think someone who taught constitutional law would have understood how important it was to fill those vacancies on the court when he had the votes.
 
You would think someone who taught constitutional law would have understood how important it was to fill those vacancies on the court when he had the votes.

That's something I never understood. His understanding of constitutional matters sometimes seemed wildly at odds with those of SCOTUS, etc. Might've had some political purpose, but still...
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom