• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

What will happen at the Democratic Convention?

  • Hillary Clinton will be the nominee.

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Bernie Sanders will be the nominee.

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Vermin Supreme will be the nominee.

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Someone else will be the nominee.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Planet X will unleash their secret weapon - a 35 year old clone of Justin Trudeau who was born in Wa

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    27
  • Poll closed .
And about half the electorate finds that to be the scary part.

"About"? Seems to me that's what we're here to discuss. What's the MoE of your poll? +/- 6%? Many of us are counting on "about" being about 44%. As in "Trump Concedes After Getting About Half the People In the Country to Vote for Him".
 
"About"? Seems to me that's what we're here to discuss. What's the MoE of your poll? +/- 6%? Many of us are counting on "about" being about 44%. As in "Trump Concedes After Getting About Half the People In the Country to Vote for Him".
LOL, he won't concede if he loses.
 
"About"? Seems to me that's what we're here to discuss. What's the MoE of your poll? +/- 6%? Many of us are counting on "about" being about 44%. As in "Trump Concedes After Getting About Half the People In the Country to Vote for Him".

"About" is the best I can do. Sufficient to demonstrate the irony, not accurate enough to place a bet.
 
But I'll say this about this DNC scandal. That was one hell of a stink over a single staffer suggesting that an issue be made about Bernie's religion. Especially since it never was actually raised in the public.

A tempest in a teapot.

Were it only that, then I'd agree.

But when you have a high level resignation followed by an acknowledgement of impropriety:

On behalf of everyone at the DNC, we want to offer a deep and sincere apology to Senator Sanders, his supporters, and the entire Democratic party for inexcusable remarks made over email. These comments do not reflect the values of the DNC or our steadfast commitment to neutrality during the nominating process <snip>

http://time.com/4422715/bernie-sanders-dnc-apology-leaked-emails/

That teapot seems to have become a bit more accommodating than previously thought.
 
Last edited:
Not a Political fan of the Don, as all should know.
You asked, and this is all I know of. I'm sure many here will not see this as helping anyone. I however watched this fiasco up close. When it was finished, the happy faces on ice were many. I was one of them.


http://articles.philly.com/1986-11-01/news/26094092_1_ice-rink-donald-trump-trump-time
Well...sorta.

“There are so many myths about this thing,” Benepe continued. “One was that he [Trump] did it for free. No, he did it for whatever the budget was. Another myth: he did something the city never could have done. Well, no, the project was largely complete by the time he took over.”

...

“Yes, he did a solid for the city, but he also burnished his reputation to a considerable extent,” Benepe said. “Most real estate developers, when they get involved in something like this, ask themselves what’s in it for the city. Trump wanted to know what was in it for Donald Trump and then there may be some ancillary benefits for the city.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/f...city-battle-explains-donald-trump-s-candidacy
 
Well...sorta.
Everyone has an axe to grind. I gave you my opinion, and one of many Yanks who wanted it finished, for years. I don't doubt some would see it different. Not painting the Don as a Saint, because I am certain he is not. He did finally get the job done.
 
Anyone else notice Bill's hands shaking?

He knows he better do a good job or "she'll start hitting me again."

I watched part of the speech with my father, a diehard Democrat who, of course, thought the "Big Dog" hit it out of the park. I couldn't last more than a couple minutes, muttering asides -- "In the Spring of 1971, I met a girl... " "A girl, Bill?"
 
Everyone has an axe to grind. I gave you my opinion, and one of many Yanks who wanted it finished, for years. I don't doubt some would see it different. Not painting the Don as a Saint, because I am certain he is not. He did finally get the job done.
It would seem Trump did get it finished, yes. So credit where it is due.

But that particular insignificant building project seemed to have been mired in a whole lot of corruption and was going nowhere anyway. Since Koch was involved, it might be reasonable to assume there were other reasons behind the various calamities that befell the project, not necessarily the inability to build a basic ice-rink. We may never know.

Just about any half-decent ice-rink construction firm could have brought it to a successful conclusion, which is what Trump eventually organised. But overall, this does seem to be more like a rooster taking credit for the dawn.
 
He knows he better do a good job or "she'll start hitting me again."

I watched part of the speech with my father, a diehard Democrat who, of course, thought the "Big Dog" hit it out of the park. I couldn't last more than a couple minutes, muttering asides -- "In the Spring of 1971, I met a girl... " "A girl, Bill?"

That didn't touch you? What...never met a girl? That's just how I would describe meeting my wife and we were both in our late twenties. She was a woman no doubt, but would always be "my girl".

Hearing Bill describing meeting Hillary made me tear up just a little. I thought it was touching.

Certainly beats the hell out of what Trump said about his wife a few years ago when he said "it doesn't really matter what the press writes about you as long as you have a hot piece of ass."
 
Last edited:
That didn't touch you? What...never met a girl? That's just how I would describe meeting my wife and we were both in our late twenties. She was a woman no doubt, but would always be "my girl".

Hearing Bill describing meeting Hillary made me tear up just a little. I thought it was touching.

Certainly beats the hell out of what Trump said about his wife a few years ago when he said "it doesn't really matter what the press writes about you as long as you have a hot piece of ass."

Yeah, I try to view these things from both my side and the "what will John Q Public think". Bill's a narrative kind of speaker in his senior years. He likes to set the scene and build, so you had to sort of tranq-down to get into the rhythm. Knowing how much time he had [as much as he wanted, face it] I realized when he started in '71 that we were to settle in for Anna Karenina.

I think the speech worked for those willing to settle into his rhythm. It wasn't the most brilliant speech I've ever heard, but it was fitting to the occasion. There was nothing but love and respect up there, coming from a man who once held the position of most powerful person on earth. Compare that to "my rich husband been beri good to me... stolen words, stolen words... he won't let you down, believe me".

Fox gave it almost three minutes of actual analysis. Meghan Kelly, the little flirt, was seemingly visibly moved and that Bret guy said it was very effective. Then they segued into "notice he didn't bring up Monica", so the honeymoon only lasted until Meghan could get over her swoon. But they kinda didn't know where to attack from at first.
 
So we're now past Day Two. Halfway there. In the totally unscientific Foolmewunz Poll [sort of Rasmussen Polling for sane peeps], Bernie got her a +3. Day Two has been good for a +1. Tomorrow will probably be the same, for +5 going into Thursday.

Thursday could bring a +0 right up to the end of the speeches, unless Hillary gives the speech of her life. But the balloons and the senior and junior icons on stage rocking to music they probably actually have permission to use will probably have a net effect of +1 for Thursday or +6 for the week. If they pull off a really rousing Thursday, it could be as much as +9 or 10, as there's always Mr. Twitter out there possible shooting his foot in his mouth.

Biggest complaint so far is that we haven't had a good MMA promoter to scream at the crowd. Too bad Sam Kinison's not with us any longer; he could've fit the "I don't know why I'm here, either but let me scream for a while" slot. I saw a guy outside in the Legalize Marijuana crowd; he could fit the Ducky Dynasty crazy bearded guy post.
 
...Then they segued into "notice he didn't bring up Monica", so the honeymoon only lasted until Meghan could get over her swoon. But they kinda didn't know where to attack from at first.
How stupid. They can attack him all they want, this is about Her, not him.

I think all those Hillary haters couldn't be more wrong.
 
Last edited:
Biggest complaint so far is that we haven't had a good MMA promoter to scream at the crowd. Too bad Sam Kinison's not with us any longer; he could've fit the "I don't know why I'm here, either but let me scream for a while" slot. I saw a guy outside in the Legalize Marijuana crowd; he could fit the Ducky Dynasty crazy bearded guy post.

That reminds me - I recall the delegates being quite a bit more enthusiastic in the past. Maybe I'm misremembering, but this time around they seem to be missing the psychotic level of crazy that made the roll call so entertaining...

"Madam Chariwoman! Madam Chairwoman!"
"For what purpose does the delegation from West Cheerleaderstan seek recognition?"
"Madam Chairwoman, the Great *********** State of Cheerleadrestan, home of the largest ball of phlem and the most goddamn *********** patriotic place in the entire United States casts nineteen whacka-doodle votes for Barnstormin' Bernie and twenty-one Cheerleaderstan Chubbies for God's own gift to progressive thought - MRS H RODHAM CLINTON!!!

They were saying the words but the "crazy" was missing.
 
Yeah, I try to view these things from both my side and the "what will John Q Public think". Bill's a narrative kind of speaker in his senior years. He likes to set the scene and build, so you had to sort of tranq-down to get into the rhythm. Knowing how much time he had [as much as he wanted, face it] I realized when he started in '71 that we were to settle in for Anna Karenina.

I think the speech worked for those willing to settle into his rhythm. It wasn't the most brilliant speech I've ever heard, but it was fitting to the occasion. There was nothing but love and respect up there, coming from a man who once held the position of most powerful person on earth. Compare that to "my rich husband been beri good to me... stolen words, stolen words... he won't let you down, believe me".

Fox gave it almost three minutes of actual analysis. Meghan Kelly, the little flirt, was seemingly visibly moved and that Bret guy said it was very effective. Then they segued into "notice he didn't bring up Monica", so the honeymoon only lasted until Meghan could get over her swoon. But they kinda didn't know where to attack from at first.

Fox then decided to call up Newt for his take and he immediately started talking about how Benghazi was not mentioned anywhere in the speech.

The reaction of Bernie or Bust'ers on facebook during the speech was telling. Essentially every time Bill would talk about Hillary working to help other people and advance civil rights causes they would cry out "BS, she only ever does what big banks tell her!" because they have apparently turned her into some sort of cartoon.
 
That reminds me - I recall the delegates being quite a bit more enthusiastic in the past. Maybe I'm misremembering, but this time around they seem to be missing the psychotic level of crazy that made the roll call so entertaining...

"Madam Chariwoman! Madam Chairwoman!"
"For what purpose does the delegation from West Cheerleaderstan seek recognition?"
"Madam Chairwoman, the Great *********** State of Cheerleadrestan, home of the largest ball of phlem and the most goddamn *********** patriotic place in the entire United States casts nineteen whacka-doodle votes for Barnstormin' Bernie and twenty-one Cheerleaderstan Chubbies for God's own gift to progressive thought - MRS H RODHAM CLINTON!!!

They were saying the words but the "crazy" was missing.

I present, for your conventioneering enjoymitude, the late great Harry Nilsson, Bedford-Stuyvesant's and the Great State of New York's favorite son, singing a song from that Amurrican Treshoor, Randy Newman of the state that is proud to put our candidate over the top,.... California casts its 884 votes for.....



Randy grew up in the era I did and apparently misses those convention moments, too. He wrote this in the late sixties.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom