Tony Stark
Philosopher
- Joined
- Nov 22, 2014
- Messages
- 9,626
How dare I care about the literal millions of people that GOP trash want to hurt.But you're not for democracy, because democracy might not produce the results you want.
How dare I care about the literal millions of people that GOP trash want to hurt.But you're not for democracy, because democracy might not produce the results you want.
Last night Mrs Don and I were discussing who might be Hillary's VP candidate on the ticket. She suggested Bernie, I thought that Bernie should get a prominent position but that the VP candidate should be a young person, but specifically one who appeals to Bernie supporters.
But you're not for democracy, because democracy might not produce the results you want.
Hillary will get the nomination. It'll be pretty much a foregone conclusion by the time the convention starts and like in conventions past, they will make a showing of "giving quality time" to Bernie so they can have raucous supporting celebrations and all hoot and holler when the Mudlark of Peace lands on the podium again.
Alas, this will be a full early day of the convention, and the entire nominating evening will be a Hillary Spectacular. Bernie will be at the Feel The Bern booth in the lobby trying to sell off the remaining forty thousand Sanders in 2016 t-shirts.
See that's old thinking, IMO. Not that Clinton will be the new thinker I am.Hillary is not going to consider the following for VP:
Elizabeth Warren (two northeast women? no way)
If she does I'll be disappointed but not surprised.I think she goes for a latino/latina from Texas or a more western state.
I'm afraid Sanders has burnt his Veep bridge with his angry personal attacks on Clinton's integrity.
Warren is still a possibility. People say her and Clinton don't get along but if you think about it, nominees pick Veeps based on simplistic numbers of getting this state or that state. Warren would get all those Sanders' supporters and then some. It would be an unbeatable ticket and it gets around the bridge Sanders burnt.
Clinton is smart. She has to know what an asset Warren would be. And given what a disaster Trump poses to the business world (think about it, he even scares the Kochs) a Clinton/Warren ticket shouldn't scare off the big campaign donors.
Obama and Biden are both from northern states and they won twice easily.The major issues with Warren are 1) She's from Massachusetts, and Clinton is from New York. Having a President and VP both from the Northern States won't play well, especially after having not gotten one under Obama, and 2) she's a woman. Sadly that would be a factor. Some will be willing to vote for a woman President, but both positions, that'll stick in some lesser enlightening people craw.
If she does I'll be disappointed but not surprised.
Obama and Biden are both from northern states and they won twice easily.
My mistake. I misunderstood.Yes, as I noted, the Southern States haven't had a representative in the Pres-VP for 8 years, going another 8 might be a sticking point for them
Democrats don't need a single state from the Confederacy to win the Presidency. Obama did win two of them twice (Florida and Virginia) but even if he lost them, he still would have won.
Last night Mrs Don and I were discussing who might be Hillary's VP candidate on the ticket. She suggested Bernie, I thought that Bernie should get a prominent position but that the VP candidate should be a young person, but specifically one who appeals to Bernie supporters.
Julian Castro seems to be on a lot of people's shortlists.
Hillary will get the nomination. It'll be pretty much a foregone conclusion by the time the convention starts and like in conventions past, they will make a showing of "giving quality time" to Bernie so they can have raucous supporting celebrations and all hoot and holler when the Mudlark of Peace lands on the podium again.
Alas, this will be a full early day of the convention, and the entire nominating evening will be a Hillary Spectacular. Bernie will be at the Feel The Bern booth in the lobby trying to sell off the remaining forty thousand Sanders in 2016 t-shirts.
Hillary is not going to consider the following for VP:
Elizabeth Warren (two northeast women? no way)
Bernie Sanders (New Yorker, no matter what he says)
Nancy P or any other female.
I think she goes for a latino/latina from Texas or a more western state.
I'm afraid Sanders has burnt his Veep bridge with his angry personal attacks on Clinton's integrity.
Warren is still a possibility. People say her and Clinton don't get along but if you think about it, nominees pick Veeps based on simplistic numbers of getting this state or that state. Warren would get all those Sanders' supporters and then some. It would be an unbeatable ticket and it gets around the bridge Sanders burnt.
Clinton is smart. She has to know what an asset Warren would be. And given what a disaster Trump poses to the business world (think about it, he even scares the Kochs) a Clinton/Warren ticket shouldn't scare off the big campaign donors.
My money's on Cory Booker
I don't know that much about Castro, but he seems a bit too young and his resume is a bit thin. His highest elected office was mayor of San Antonio.
Booker is also on the young side, but he's 5 years older than Castro, and is a Senator, as well as having been a mayor. BTW, Booker endorsed Hillary early on and has advocated on her behalf. So he's been a loyal supporter of hers.
Warren is the only female Democratic Senator who hasn't endorsed Clinton. Still, If she thought that Warren could help her win more than somebody like Booker she might still consider her. But I don't particularly see that. In the general election she needs to appeal to the middle of the country, the swing voters, not hardcore progressives. I think Booker is probably more suitable for that. I can think of more negative ads that might be aimed at Elizabeth Warren than I can Booker. And Booker brings more diversity to the ticket than Warren.
The biggest problem with Cory Booker is that Chris Chrisie would pick his replacment in the Senate.
“I firmly believe that the decisions that needs to be made are too great to be determined by an appointee for a period of 18 months,” he said. “We must allow our citizens to have their say.”
Christie acknowledged at the press conference that the state will bear the costs of the extra elections. The tab is expected to be about $11.9 million each for the primary and the general election, or almost $24 million total.
“The costs associated with having the special election and primary, in my mind, cannot be measured against the value of having an elected member of the U.S. Senate,” he said. “I don’t know what the costs are and quite frankly I don’t care.”
The biggest problem with Cory Booker is that Chris Chrisie would pick his replacment in the Senate.
The Constitution gives the states the authority to pick a replacement for a vacant Senate seat. In most of them (New Jersey included), the governor gets to pick the replacement*. In the others, there is a special election.As someone not from the U.S., I find this process very puzzling. How someone from the opposing party can choose the replacement for an elected representative from another party just feels wrong. Presumably this means that if the Senate was delicately balanced, this could change that balance.
In the U.K. there would be a by-election but I suppose that would be on a much smaller scale than a senate race.
How dare I care about the literal millions of people that GOP trash want to hurt.
Looks an interesting candidate but I think geography (he's from next-door to Hillary) is against him (and I'm not sure how a black VP candidate will go down with swing voters who have just had a black president and who are being asked to vote for a woman candidate).
I am going to vote for candidate that will stop the GOP trash from hurting millions of Americans (there is literally no doubt that she would veto attempts from the GOP scum to repeal/defund Obamacare.Yeah, I can smell your caring from here.![]()