• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

80 Years of Subtle Sexism

Does it? To me its common sense. The one who provides, historically, is the one with money. The one with money pays. But sure, we are just talking, I do not like the fact myself though I have used it successfully in past to reach my goals.
 
That sounds like men's rights propaganda considering current opportunities open to women for employment and independence renders the male-should-pay tradition even more anachronistic and odious.

The reality is that women are willing to pay more for clothes (among other things), and men are willing to pay for the company of women.

I've never had a man pay for my dinner, my movie, or anything else for my company. Maybe I'm not exciting enough of a companion.
 
My favorite story was one I heard from a female Navy fighter pilot on a PBS special. This woman was flying a mission one day with an assistant aircraft commander (a man) and they were carrier-based. On the return the aircraft had a malfunction. Not a really major malfunction but since pilots refer to landing on aircraft carriers as a "controlled crash" any glitch is a big deal. As she told it,



After they landed (without incident) the assistant made some remark about, "Wow that was scary. That was rough." She said she told him, "Relax flyboy it's not my time of the month. I had it all the way."

The AAC told the other fighter jocks and they all thought it was hilarious. The woman pilot said after that she was accepted as, "One of the boys."

I don't know who to high-five and who to scream "MISOGYNY!!!!" at.
 
Well that's what I meant when I mentioned the tampon tax, that it's on women and not men. So women get taxed more. I'm not sure what I said that you understood differently.
Is that important?
 
Last edited:
For whatever its worth, tampons (and other sanitary products) are subject to 5% VAT, razors (men's/women's) and shaving cream 20%.
 
Last edited:
The irony of this whole "tax" thing is that women are to blame. The female race has long complained about the relative price of a haircut, but who is bidding up the price for those services?

Oh, I know. Usually my wife cuts my hair but when I do go to a barber I go to a cheap, no-frills place that charges the equivalent of about 10 bucks. Occasionally I do see a woman go in there, but as you can probably guess the vast majority of the customers are men. I suggested this to my wife as she could save some money if she went there instead of the hair salon she usually uses where the price is like 6 times more, but she looked at me like I was crazy.

And yeah, she probably looks a little better with the expensive haircut, but the difference is really only noticeable until the next time you take a shower.

But the cheap barber shop option is available to women too, most just choose to not use it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom