• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

80 Years of Subtle Sexism

All the sexist guys I know are kind of normal, except for the ability to treat women as equals.

It's proof that some gays are good cooks. But are gays in general more likely to be good cooks? Your anecdotes aren't enough to tell us. However the conjecture is logical. Gays are less likely to live with women, and so are more likely to have to do their own cooking.

But why is the woman in a home more likely to be the better cook? Because men demand it!
Maybe where you live. Kiwi women don't put up with that
 
Completely agree

I'm the cook around here and I get to dictate what we eat and when we eat and if I don't get enough compliments then it's a healthy dose of cayenne pepper in your next helping of gruel
 
Completely agree

I'm the cook around here and I get to dictate what we eat and when we eat and if I don't get enough compliments then it's a healthy dose of cayenne pepper in your next helping of gruel
I do all the cooking at my house because it chills me out.

The wife quite likes it
 

I don't buy the statistics.

Consumer Affairs also found discrepancies in several other product categories a toy guitar with a boy’s face on it cost $34.99, while a Disney princess guitar cost $43.99.​

Putting any Disney characters on any toy is going to increase the cost, so this is really an apples-to-oranges comparison. An apples-to-apples comparison would require looking at the same toy, both with Disney branding, but one for boys and one for girls, but they didn't do that. There's no way to tell how much of their study is like this.

And even in the case of apples-to-apples comparisons, I don't trust that it isn't just cherry picking. For example, if you shop on Amazon for clothing items available in a variety of colors, the price can vary by color even for the same sex.

So are girls' clothes and toys really more expensive on average? Maybe. But maybe that's because girls are more materialistic than boys, and demand fancier products. If so, whose fault is that? Is it even a problem at all?
 
I don't buy the statistics.

I'm not buying them either.

I looked at the study, expecting it to actually have something to do with New York only to find that the people who did the study were shopping selectively online.

The scooter story comes from Target's website. Today both scooters are the same price whether they be pink or blue.

The polo shirt came from The Children's Place and the girls shirt is now cheaper than the boys, also, they're different fabrics leading me to believe that they came from different factories

Levis 501 ? Found some pairs where the men's were more expensive than the women's

Shampoos and conditioners, Alberto V5, same price for men's and women's at Wall greens.

The only green and pink riding things, listed as bicycles in the news article but proved to be tricycles in the study, both the pink and green one were the same price, weird.

Don't get sucked in by advertising buy the best product at the best price and ignore all that gender specific marketing.

Now if you'll excuse me, my package from Amazon just arrived and I'm going to take a shower and use my new shampoo that's supposed to smell just like diesel fuel, only $18.95 plus shipping. ;)
 
My favorite story was one I heard from a female Navy fighter pilot on a PBS special. This woman was flying a mission one day with an assistant aircraft commander (a man) and they were carrier-based. On the return the aircraft had a malfunction. Not a really major malfunction but since pilots refer to landing on aircraft carriers as a "controlled crash" any glitch is a big deal. As she told it,

We went around a couple times and they decided we could land. The assistant AC asked me, as we began our final approach, "Are you okay? You up for this?" She said she couldn't resist: She said, "No I'm not okay. In fact I'm pre-menstrual so hang on!" She said she could just about hear him whimpering.

After they landed (without incident) the assistant made some remark about, "Wow that was scary. That was rough." She said she told him, "Relax flyboy it's not my time of the month. I had it all the way."

The AAC told the other fighter jocks and they all thought it was hilarious. The woman pilot said after that she was accepted as, "One of the boys."
 
The irony of this whole "tax" thing is that women are to blame. The female race has long complained about the relative price of a haircut, but who is bidding up the price for those services? The informal man "tax" is that males are expected to pay for concert tickets, drinks, and dinners.
 
The irony of this whole "tax" thing is that women are to blame. The female race has long complained about the relative price of a haircut, but who is bidding up the price for those services? The informal man "tax" is that males are expected to pay for concert tickets, drinks, and dinners.

Maybe this lets say tradition came from well low income or even dependency? Obviously, from those who do not have money are not expected to pay for anything.
 
Maybe this lets say tradition came from well low income or even dependency? Obviously, from those who do not have money are not expected to pay for anything.

That sounds like men's rights propaganda considering current opportunities open to women for employment and independence renders the male-should-pay tradition even more anachronistic and odious.

The reality is that women are willing to pay more for clothes (among other things), and men are willing to pay for the company of women.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom