• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

80 Years of Subtle Sexism

I wish the ladies would settle this among themselves so I know which side to agree with.

"Whatever you say, dear."
 
I wish the ladies would settle this among themselves so I know which side to agree with.

"Whatever you say, dear."

Yes, it can get confusing sometimes. One group is for quotas anther is not. One is for microagression another is not. One is for yearly campaign "sexist piglet" another is not.

People are different, it sucks when it comes to ultimate truth, drawing lines or determining when something is enough.
 
Hmmm, I am not sure. She has an advanced degree in a field she likes and actually has a job in that field. Not at all equivalent to the Internet-izan living the the parents' basement.

I wasn't talking about the actresses, I was talking about the parts they played.

So was I.

The character is a productive member of society that doesn't whine about things on the Internet. In what way is that character similar to guys who live in their parents' basements.
 
Last edited:
Along these same lines, perhaps the flip side, I am sick of this trope:

http://kaethinks.com/2014/02/04/stupid-husband/
http://www.simplyhomeschoolliving.net/2015/05/hes-my-husband-not-my-child.html

My husband is not a helpless infant requiring my supervision and instruction. We empower girls but what about boys? I want my son to be an equal partner in his relationship(s), not "another child".

My mother put me to work around the house when I was four. My brother and I had chores to do while she worked in the cotton fields. Put me in good stead when I went solo.
 
Along these same lines, perhaps the flip side, I am sick of this trope:

http://kaethinks.com/2014/02/04/stupid-husband/
http://www.simplyhomeschoolliving.net/2015/05/hes-my-husband-not-my-child.html

My husband is not a helpless infant requiring my supervision and instruction. We empower girls but what about boys? I want my son to be an equal partner in his relationship(s), not "another child".

Good links. I stole and modified a line form the first one:


Advertising is designed to MAKE you stupid, not to highlight your supposedly inherent stupidity.
 
There's nothing quite so pathetic as having a group of people who have enjoyed decades, centuries even, of privilege whining because a tiny fraction of the imbalance is finally being addressed.

Those evil Jews men have controlled the world for centuries. Its time for decent Christians feminists everywhere to make them answer for their oppression!
 
Last edited:
For a modern example, just look at how Saudi Arabia is. It really is a "patriarchy". I don't see any other way around it. Women may participate in reinforcing the patriarchy, but to a large extent that's because to resist it (even passively) is dangerous.


Nope, Saudi Arabia cannot be a patriarchy because they have POC immunity. They're also victims of white/us/hegemony/patriarchy

Just one more example of postmodern feminism pretending to care about women, except when it doesn't
 
In what way is that character similar to guys who live in their parents' basements.
In every way, obviously. Otherwise it would be a false equivalence.

Tony said:
Those evil Jews men have controlled the world for centuries. Its time for decent Christians feminists everywhere to make them answer for their oppression!
Let's just ignore centuries of recorded history and suggest that men controlling the world is some kind of conspiracy theory...
 
In every way, obviously. Otherwise it would be a false equivalence.

Let's just ignore centuries of recorded history and suggest that men controlling the world is some kind of conspiracy theory...

funny-Pocahontas-white-men-dangerous.jpg
 
That is pretty simple actually. When the voices stop. Because who is vocal? Those who are not happy, be it with state of affairs after those centuries.

No. The voices will never stop, no matter what you do. Some people are just unhappy. They are unhappy with their own failures, and they look for ways to blame others for those failures.

Such people are invariably drawn to ideologies which construct categorical blame.
 
Let's just ignore centuries of recorded history and suggest that men controlling the world is some kind of conspiracy theory...

Recorded history does not support the feminist notion of "Patriarchy". The fact that there were mostly men at the top of the social pyramid doesn't negate the fact that there were a lot of men at the bottom too. Even (or especially) the stereotypical patriarchal societies treat lower-class men as being more disposable and less valuable than women.
 
No. The voices will never stop, no matter what you do. Some people are just unhappy. They are unhappy with their own failures, and they look for ways to blame others for those failures.

Such people are invariably drawn to ideologies which construct categorical blame.

And I recognized that, iirc. Hatters gonna hate, carebears gonna cry. This, however, is a movement. Already with some history, perhaps philosophy. And even movements come and go. When?
 
If you're interested, I'll even share my thoughts once I've done.


That's great, and refreshing. There tends to be some 'round here who don't tolerate any dissent to a given ideological point of view they hold. I've seen it enough that I have developed an unfortunate pessimism.


I've listened to a few (2-3?) of their hangout-things and I think my biggest complaint is Alison's hyperbole ...


I chalk that up to being passionate on the subject, particularly given how frequently such dissenting views are often summarily dismissed, or worse, deliberately misrepresented before being dismissed. That must, no doubt, be grating after awhile.


Waaay too slow and boring to watch.


Uh huh. Well, dissent is not always delivered in a way one might find convenient. Sometimes one must put in the effort. In any event, that the length and tone is not to your preference does not in any way diminish the value or substance of the dissent.

That said, if you wish some other dissenting options in video form, here are a few more options. There's this one, which takes a more snarky and tongue-in-cheek tone to its response (10 minute running time). Or there's this one (32 minutes)); this one is perhaps more contentious.


Another option to debate the video which is mentioned in the link in the OP, is to list the 48 things said in a post. Then we can examine that written list in detail. That would allow us for, example, to determine how many of those 48 things are in reality said primarily by women to women, how many are said primarily by men to women, and how many of the 48 are actually sexist as opposed to being criticisms or something similar.
 
Recorded history does not support the feminist notion of "Patriarchy". The fact that there were mostly men at the top of the social pyramid doesn't negate the fact that there were a lot of men at the bottom too.


Exactly. The men in the middle and the bottom are roundly ignored, and only those at the top receive any notice. Not only that, but there have quite often been at least a few women at the top. Their influence may have been indirect (e.g. the queen whispering in the king's ear), but it was there. Then there was the direct influence, e.g. Cleopatra, Queen Elizabeth I, Catherine the Great, Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, etc.

The most accurate rendition of history is to say this: some men, and a few women, have power over everyone else. That's oligarchy, not patriarchy.
 
That's great, and refreshing. There tends to be some 'round here who don't tolerate any dissent to a given ideological point of view they hold. I've seen it enough that I have developed an unfortunate pessimism.
.

I appreciate being refreshing. You're the second (?) person on this thread alone however who assumed I held a point of view based on my sharing this link. I'm not sure that I did elucidate an opinion. I shared some factual evidence (sexist comments that have been made to me). That's it.

My opinion on this topic is long and involved. I haven't typed that up for this thread.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom