Joey McGee
Banned
- Joined
- Feb 17, 2011
- Messages
- 10,307
Russia opposes arms race.
Sorry, doesn't look like the Russians want to play along this time. I'm sure you can still have fun with it on your own, no better way to distract from domestic issues than imagining external enemies.
My view is that they do want to invest in an arms race--if they can win it--and if they had an economy that supported such investment they would absolutely make that investment.
Am I the only one who is beginning to think we might be having a visit from one of those profesional shills the Putin has been caught employing?
No, it was brought up by Giz in order to bash Obama.
How does one "win" an arms race?
Have better strength of arms than the other racers, at any point in the race where a test of arms is made.
But that's the point, there are no "tests of arms" between nuclear superpowers. There are proxy conflicts where they get used, but having 4000 tanks or 5000 tanks sitting at home doesn't really make the difference there. It's all wasted money mostly, neither NATO or Russia are going to invade each other given the nuclear detente that exists between them.
Even now there is an ongoing arms race between Russia and the US, where Russia continues to develop ever more advanced generations of anti-ship missiles, and the US continues to develop ever more advanced generations of naval air defense systems. A similar race is going on with China.
Please tell me how NATO exercises in those countries can be "provocative" in any way.
Oh, the Irony of that last sentence........
Am I the only one who is beginning to think we might be having a visit from one of those profesional shills the Putin has been caught employing?
True, but that's a technological arms race. The term "arms race" is usually understood as both sides trying to build and field more weapon systems than the other side. ETA: or at least it has that connotation in context of a "Cold War".
Easy.
Whether you or I think it's provocation, it's an easy sell to Russia.
If you prefer, I'd go with "playing directly into Putin's hands".
Every story has two sides, and it is absolutely correct to explore the idea that NATO/US is not 100% correct in this situation.
Easy.Every story has two sides, and it is absolutely correct to explore the idea that NATO/US is not 100% correct in this situation.
Historians have pointed out that take away the Marxist rhetoric,the foreign Policy of the USSR was little different then that of Czarist Russia.
Easy.
Whether you or I think it's provocation, it's an easy sell to Russia.
If you prefer, I'd go with "playing directly into Putin's hands".
Ukraine situation is bad, but it could be used to remind Russians war is about dead and maimed sons, not glory and territorial conquest.
One death is tragedy, one million deaths is statistic.
I think Putin thinks the same way as his [figurative] uncle, Man of Steel.
One death is tragedy, one million deaths is statistic.
I think Putin thinks the same way as his [figurative] uncle, Man of Steel.