Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher
- Joined
- Dec 27, 2006
- Messages
- 9,778
A non-binding vote carries the same weight as no vote at all.
Uhh... maybe if you're a complete sociopath.
A non-binding vote carries the same weight as no vote at all.
All of a sudden a lot of CEO's move to luxemburg. Or wherever the tax rate is less.
Hmmm Luxemburg or Grand Cayman. Maybe best to hedge and buy places in both and just keep the jet warmed up...
I'd be very surprised if any CEO of a large company ever lay awake at night worrying if the customers were benefitting enough. Lying awake worrying about corporate politics or irksome legislation, yes. Responsibility towards customers or employees? Pshaw.
So they're going to flee America to avoid a 50% rate? Is that what happened when the marginal tax rate was well over 70%?
Uhh... maybe if you're a complete sociopath.
Or someone who understands the term "non-binding".
Just to be clear, I don't believe you.Just to be clear I was joking about the moving thing. Like ha ha, next they'll move to luxemburg ha ha![]()
...to mean "since you're not forcing me to pretend to care about the best interests of you and/or the company, **** y'all" (i.e. a sociopath).
Wow, this is the complete opposite of most entrepreneurs and CEO's that I know. I've seen a relentless focus on creating value through making a lot of customers happy. Perhaps it's the nature of the business I'm in but I've always thought putting the customer first and treating them like you want to be treated is a key to success.
Aren't sociopaths extremely common in CEO positions?
There was some research, I recall.
I can't imagine a sociopath climbing the corporate ladder well. Narcissists, yes, but not sociopaths.
On the other hand, one characteristic of sociopaths is that they can lie very easily, and I think most ladder climbers have at least a little bit of that tendency, so if the research was real, then that might be what they were picking up on.
...to mean "since you're not forcing me to pretend to care about the best interests of you and/or the company, **** y'all" (i.e. a sociopath).

I can't imagine a sociopath climbing the corporate ladder well. Narcissists, yes, but not sociopaths.
On the other hand, one characteristic of sociopaths is that they can lie very easily, and I think most ladder climbers have at least a little bit of that tendency, so if the research was real, then that might be what they were picking up on.
Of course, 20,000 people don't pay to watch you teach class.
Damn. And here I thought that colleges were supposed to be citadels of higher learning, not higher salaries for the jocks.As a college sports fan, I'm totally down with the supply and demand of sports viewership leading to high coaches' salaries.
Damn. And here I thought that colleges were supposed to be citadels of higher learning, not higher salaries for the jocks.
Or, in other words, we have met the enemy, and they are us.
Which the CEO runs.
Here's an article that cites a few of those studies:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/drishtikone/2013/10/are-ceos-and-entrepreneurs-psychopaths-multiple-studies-say-yes/
First of all, sociopaths and psychopaths are not the same thing.