LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
Yes. And they still do.
But most of them don't care. See above.
OK, above I see a drop ceiling, air vent and some florescent lights.

Unless you are referring to something a little more specific for evidence, which is...?
Yes. And they still do.
But most of them don't care. See above.

For me it's more this kind of stuff that hits home: NCAA coaches salaries. Professors' salaries (pretty darn good ones, too - I'll never make their "average" at my institution unless I go for administration.)
OK, above I see a drop ceiling, air vent and some florescent lights.
Unless you are referring to something a little more specific for evidence, which is...?![]()
Citation needed.
Yeah, and that's EXACTLY what we'll get!I don't care what my CEO gets paid. I DO care that he ensures the people who are making him the money get paid bare minimum.
Hear hear, you heart surgeons! THAT's what real heavy responsibility looks like!
If CEO pay is too high, raise the marginal tax rate on incomes over, say, $5 million a year to 50%.
I won't argue with the rest of your post but this part needs comment. Just because something is legal does not mean it is right or fair. I think there are LOTS of things that could be done to balance the corporate playing field.
Second, we don't have a progressive tax system for the very rich. So to think they are funding the infrastructure is to be blind to the facts.
All of a sudden a lot of CEO's move to luxemburg. Or wherever the tax rate is less.
Well, it certainly isn't as progressive as it ought to be, but it is progressive. The ability of the rich to avoid taxes is at least somewhat exaggerated. Generally, rich people pay high taxes, as they should.
As for the lots of things that could be done, I just don't see what government can do that wouldn't ultimately make things worse. In the end, CEOs make the salaries they do because they have convinced someone else to give them a bunch of money. Educate people to realize what's going on,and maybe the people would be harder to convince, but I don't see what government can do to correct the problem. If shareholders aren't willing to protect their own money from confiscation, I'm not sure government should do so on their behalf.
In the early 60s, the highest marginal tax rate was 91%. Do you have some demographic data showing a mass exodus of CEOs moving to the Caymans? In 1980 it was reduced to 70%. Do you have some demographic data showing a mass influx back to the USA? In 1990 it reached a low of 28% and since then it has stayed pretty steady at 39.6%. Do you have any demographic data showing some level of exodus from the USA over that period?All of a sudden a lot of CEO's move to luxemburg. Or wherever the tax rate is less.
I'm not so pessimistic. If the marginal tax rate was where it was in the 60s (see my previous post) then it does not make sense for a high salaried person to make a lot of money when so much of it goes to the government. Instead, it would be used to fund R&D or plowed back into the corporate infrastructure or even distributed out to shareholders.Well, it certainly isn't as progressive as it ought to be, but it is progressive. The ability of the rich to avoid taxes is at least somewhat exaggerated. Generally, rich people pay high taxes, as they should.
As for the lots of things that could be done, I just don't see what government can do that wouldn't ultimately make things worse. In the end, CEOs make the salaries they do because they have convinced someone else to give them a bunch of money. Educate people to realize what's going on,and maybe the people would be harder to convince, but I don't see what government can do to correct the problem. If shareholders aren't willing to protect their own money from confiscation, I'm not sure government should do so on their behalf.
If you want to get technical you could do some math to figure out whether a CEO of a large company or a heart surgeon has more impact.
How many heart operations can a heart surgeon do per year? Some amount of those they are saving a life. In other cases their patient may die. I'm sure someone knows the numbers.
Now, CEO's have influence, in some cases, over 10's of thousands of people. In some cases millions of people are their customers.
So now all we have to do is figure out the exchange rate between doing surgery on someone and having them as a customer of your company.
So is a million people buying a product cheaper equivalent to a surgery on one person?
The data confirms that impression. Median income fell between 2007-2010. I couldn't find newer data.It's hardly scientific but almost everyone I know whether they work for the private or public sector has had a real world cut in their pay in the last few years because we're in a recession. Or just out of a recession. Or having a double dip. Or who know s what, but to have the pay of the leaders of industry be so dramatically increased while everyone else is 'tightening their belts' is a proper kick in the crotch.
Well, it certainly isn't as progressive as it ought to be, but it is progressive.