njslim
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- May 30, 2006
- Messages
- 1,077
I made it to the library yesterday, and I ordered Australia and Appeasement on Interlibrary Loan. Plus I checked out Wages of Destruction, on the basis of the recommendations in this thread.
If more immediate interest, however, I also checked out The Change in the European Balance of Power, 1938-1939: The Path to Ruin, by Williamson Murray, whose Strategy for Defeat: The Luftwaffe 1933-1945 I've previously quoted.
I skimmed the chapters on Munich and its aftermath while I was at the library; I'll read them and take notes when I get a chance. From what I've seen so far, Murray is very much against the "Chamberlain gained time for rearmament" argument.
The book has an entire chapter on how the war would likely have developed if Britain and France had backed Czechoslovakia; Murray's conclusion is that that war would have been won by the Allies at a significantly lower cost than the war that started in 1939.
In 1938 Allied fighters had superior performance to the early mod ME 109
Such as the Hawker hurricane MK1 (which suffered from wood 2 blade fixed
prop in first version - the metal 3 blade 2 pitch props improved performance)
Export version of American fighters like the Hawk 75 (export version P 36) or
Brewster B239 (export version of F2A Buffalo) were available and out performed the early ME 109
It wasn't until end of 1938 that ME 109 E with Daimler 1200 HP DB600 series
engines started production . Also ME 110C with Daimler engines in early 1939
There was a narrow window in 1938-esrly 1939 where Allied fighters had the edge over the LUFTWAFFE
Last edited: